C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

zr1 190 mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:38 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FU
190 MPH I'm sceered !
you should try it on a bike sometime...
Old 03-27-2008, 06:34 AM
4cefed
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was run on the George Bush Tollroad in Dallas Texas. 5 lanes wide, flat smooth and walls on boths sides. The runs were made on a weekday early in the morning, like 2-3 am. This shot was from about 6 years ago.

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
looks like it was run on one of the Arizona Freeway systems to me. And looks like three seperate dumazzes to me. If they want to run take it to the track.

Last edited by 4cefed; 03-27-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:36 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by louispf
NASCAR is running quicker than 200 this year with the COT @ a few of the 2 mile tracks.
Not really
They may touch 200 (doubtful) on the long straight but they wont average 200 like they used to
Old 03-28-2008, 06:33 PM
billfarmer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rip up and down the German autobahn once or twice a month at 150+. I have gone on road trips and cruised at 130+ for 50-100 miles. If I get in my car, I will break 100. Even if I am just driving the 3 miles to work (only after I let it warm up). If the "left lane owners" would move their duma$$es over, we could do it in the states. Not scary at all.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:41 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by billfarmer
I rip up and down the German autobahn once or twice a month at 150+. I have gone on road trips and cruised at 130+ for 50-100 miles. If I get in my car, I will break 100. Even if I am just driving the 3 miles to work (only after I let it warm up). If the "left lane owners" would move their duma$$es over, we could do it in the states. Not scary at all.
I always try to quickly move out of the left lane... I do it all the time for Minivans with soccer ball magnets stuck on the back. In Georgia, Atlanta to Columbus, if you travel below 85mph chances are that you will be passed by a friggin Honda Minivan with a suburban mom behind the wheel sipping coffee and applying makeup. Oh eah, she will be steering with her knees and at least two of her tires will have less than 14 psi in them. A local minister passed me a few weeks ago hauling *** in his Mercedes while txt messaging to his flock!

While it is all illegal I would rather be passed by a performance car with a driver who has a maintained (Safety inspected) car with both of his or her hands on the steering wheel!!!

Last edited by jakers; 03-30-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
cward
Instructor

Originally Posted by FastZR1
Nice.

Many years ago Curtis Ward has his old 90 touch 200 MPH on one of the ORR. He was then DQ'd for going to fast for his class, but hey. How many folks can say they turned the ZR-1 out 200+? Not me.
Thanks for remembering old #364. It was a '91 and that run was in the 2002 BBORR. I held it at that speed for well over a minute. It was nice to go over 200 but it was not all that much different from 180 which I have done many times. That was the only time I went over 200 but for my basically stock ZR-1 (add-ons and stock long block) with about 390 rwhp it was as fast as it would go. It was setup for racing in ORR with full roll cage, lowered right down on the ground and lots of other safety equipment including road racing slicks. I have done 175+ on the open road in West Texas not in a race but just out having fun. You really don't want to have other traffic around you so if something goes wrong, you only kill yourself. I have played around on George Bush Tollway but not at speeds over 150. I know that others have gone quite fast on that road and on the North Dallas Tollway too. But I would have raced any of those cars in the BBORR. They had much more powerful cars, but there is a significant difference in racing for a mile or so and racing around corners for 118 miles. I would have liked my chances of winning in my pore ole 91 Z. :-)

Curtis
Old 04-01-2008, 10:15 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cward
Thanks for remembering old #364. It was a '91 and that run was in the 2002 BBORR. I held it at that speed for well over a minute. It was nice to go over 200 but it was not all that much different from 180 which I have done many times. That was the only time I went over 200 but for my basically stock ZR-1 (add-ons and stock long block) with about 390 rwhp it was as fast as it would go. It was setup for racing in ORR with full roll cage, lowered right down on the ground and lots of other safety equipment including road racing slicks. I have done 175+ on the open road in West Texas not in a race but just out having fun. You really don't want to have other traffic around you so if something goes wrong, you only kill yourself. I have played around on George Bush Tollway but not at speeds over 150. I know that others have gone quite fast on that road and on the North Dallas Tollway too. But I would have raced any of those cars in the BBORR. They had much more powerful cars, but there is a significant difference in racing for a mile or so and racing around corners for 118 miles. I would have liked my chances of winning in my pore ole 91 Z. :-)
Curtis
Curtis, Thanks for sharing your thoughts and words about your ORR days. Few really understand what is involved in ORR and the very unique folks that are addicted to it. Sure hope it somehow continues for future generations!

Quick Reply: zr1 190 mph