Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 ZR-1 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 02-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
dallas916
CF Senior Member

Default lexan top cracking?

I was looking at my original Lexan top that developed a severe crack in the front just right of center along the edge. I thought I had either mishandled it or put stress on it when it was in the "trunk". I replaced it with a new one several years ago, and don't want another problem.

I use the top sometimes when I don't want the Z to sit out in the heat with the new top. Anyway, I noticed that when I tightened the front bolts the first few inches of the top flexed a bit. If I tighten it all the way to where the bolt seems to stop (very snug and firm tightening) I can see where the crack may have developed because of the mounting/tightening process.

Have any of you had any problems with your tops from "overtightening" or maybe misalignment when replacing the weatherstripping????
dallas916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
terryszr1
CF Senior Member

you want to redjust the top. are you tightening the back bolts first. then finish tightening the fronts . one way to tell if you need tp adjust it is . start the back bolts to finger tight then try to start the fronts if they are hard to start then you need to redjust the frnt mounting brackets . he is a tip yo keep your lexan nice forever .spray and wipe in a coat of furnature polish with a damp cotton towel.it will keep it nice forever . also if you are parking the car in the sun take a bath towel and through it over the top and put the ends between the top and windows. sun kills lexan over a period of time.
terryszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
dallas916
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryszr1 View Post
you want to redjust the top. are you tightening the back bolts first. then finish tightening the fronts . one way to tell if you need tp adjust it is . start the back bolts to finger tight then try to start the fronts if they are hard to start then you need to redjust the frnt mounting brackets . he is a tip yo keep your lexan nice forever .spray and wipe in a coat of furnature polish with a damp cotton towel.it will keep it nice forever . also if you are parking the car in the sun take a bath towel and through it over the top and put the ends between the top and windows. sun kills lexan over a period of time.
Thanks. Good tips. I almost never leave it out in our blazing sun without the top being covered with something. The dealership installed the "new" top I have now, and it did take them a few tries to get the brackets aligned right.

It fit really well with the old weatherstripping, but I have a really hard time getting it so "sit down" so I can start the bolts with the new ws. I keep the windows up and the top tightened down all the time now so everything will compress and seat properly but putting the top back on is a bear.
dallas916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:49 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 ZR-1 Discussion
Reload this Page lexan top cracking?

Tags
corvette, cracking, lexan, top