C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

3rd brake light doesn't work......................

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:03 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default 3rd brake light doesn't work......................

The CHMSL doesn't work in my 91,all the bulbs checkout fine.I checked the manual and it states the switch has a separate function for the 3rd brake light.Anybody have this problem.I thought Id ask before I go fishing for the switch.Thanks.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:42 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
The CHMSL doesn't work in my 91,all the bulbs checkout fine.I checked the manual and it states the switch has a separate function for the 3rd brake light.Anybody have this problem.I thought Id ask before I go fishing for the switch.Thanks.
If your tail lights work but the CHMSL does not, then it more than likely is that switch. It has two throws on it and sits down at the brake pedal.

I changed one of mine out, by laying upside down on my back, on the driver's seat. Takes about 3 minutes, 2 of those are getting into position
Old 02-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by *89x2*
If your tail lights work but the CHMSL does not, then it more than likely is that switch. It has two throws on it and sits down at the brake pedal.

I changed one of mine out, by laying upside down on my back, on the driver's seat. Takes about 3 minutes, 2 of those are getting into position
The switch is a common problem. There's one for the regular brakes and one for the high mounted brake light. Pretty goofy. It's easy to change, though does require some flexibility.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

As stated I would try to adjust the placement of the switch first before replaceing it. But be careful the switch also affects the ability to turn the Cruise Control off and on. Take a look lying on your back and see if all the switches above the clutch and brake pedal look centered. Its possible on has vibrated or has been knocked askeew. The boys are right however chances are the switch is bad. Good luck GC

Get notified of new replies

To 3rd brake light doesn't work......................

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light doesn't work......................