C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Lowering my Z.......................

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:54 PM
MaxZR-1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering my Z.......................

Hi everbody,Ive got a 92 ZR-1 that Id like to lower but Im not too sure how do go about it.I checked into a set of coilovers but was told Id have too modifiy the shock towers and that wont work.What would I need to do to lower the car and how much lower will it go.Thanks for any input on this.Max.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

this was previously posted.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=79763
Old 01-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Greybeard ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't say if you're lowering the front, rear, or both, and what for? Looks? Better handling? weight transfer at the strip?

To me, the stock height of the ZR-1 looks fine in the front, but the back seems to sit high. So I got the lengthened C4 rear spring bolts (available in most Corvette accessory catalogs. Cheap, easy. It drops the rear to wherever you want it. 1 1/2" was perfect for me.
Since then i've heard some opinion that lowering the rear does not help weight transfer at launch in the 1/4mi. In fact it might hurt 60ft. times. I don't know for sure about this. But for me, the car sits just right.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
BAM92
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cdn ZR1 Mike
Nice write up.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:31 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I lowered my old 91 by cutting off the rubber bumpers on the top of the spring in the front. Then we glued the aftermarket phonelic blocks in place so the spring wouldn't contact the frame. Had to trim up the metal brackets that hold the spring in and put everything back together. Lowered the rear with some longer bolts and then got the car alligned. I couldn't have done it without Shrek's help!

I may have an old picture of the completed job. I'll post it later if I can find it.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:34 PM
DMark
Drifting

Originally Posted by FastZR1
..... I may have an old picture of the completed job. I'll post it later if I can find it.
I now have Ed's car. Check "My Corvette Photos" for how it looks.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Here is the old girl.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxZR-1
Hi everbody,Ive got a 92 ZR-1 that Id like to lower but Im not too sure how do go about it.I checked into a set of coilovers but was told Id have too modifiy the shock towers and that wont work.What would I need to do to lower the car and how much lower will it go.Thanks for any input on this.Max.
the stock shock towers work just fine with coil overs. you need to move the sway bar and drill a few holes, but I'd sure consider coil overs, just don't go too crazy on the spring rates. I really like this mod and and very pleased in how it helped the car stick to the road better and it allows the full range of adjustment, varying spring rates, ride, height, ect.... disadvantage is cost. but since you have to remove the front spring, it's half the battle.

the need to modify the shock towers is a bit urban legend IMHO. I talked to dave M. about this and he saw no need. they look flimsy, but actually are pretty strong unless you are beating the car up on the track and bouncing over curbs.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:19 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,063 Posts

For the front, there is a pad on each end of the front spring. I cut about half the pad off and it lowered the front ~3/4". To lower it more you need to cut the rubber mounting pads off as mentioned above. Cutting the tip pads takes about 30 minutes/side assuming the lower ball joint and tie rod pop loose easily from the spindle.

Here are the pads I cut off...

Last edited by 96GS#007; 01-03-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:18 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
the stock shock towers work just fine with coil overs. you need to move the sway bar and drill a few holes, but I'd sure consider coil overs, just don't go too crazy on the spring rates. I really like this mod and and very pleased in how it helped the car stick to the road better and it allows the full range of adjustment, varying spring rates, ride, height, ect.... disadvantage is cost. but since you have to remove the front spring, it's half the battle.

the need to modify the shock towers is a bit urban legend IMHO. I talked to dave M. about this and he saw no need. they look flimsy, but actually are pretty strong unless you are beating the car up on the track and bouncing over curbs.
Spring rates are not adjustable on coilovers...unless you're talking about changing the whole spring. But then you could say the stock setup is adjustable. Coilovers are mainly for the track where you need the increased roll stiffness provided by higher rate springs. It'll be a very rough ride on the street unless you go way soft on the spring rate...but then you might as well keep the stock spring as it will outperform a coil spring of the same spring rate. Due to the mounting of the stock front spring, it provides additional roll stiffness in a corner by bending into an "S" shape in the middle third and transmitting some of the "load" to the other side. A very high tech design that the C5 and C6 incorporated into the rear spring.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Blown67427
Le Mans Master

Make sure that the area you'll be driving in, won't be coming in contact with the underside of your car all the time. Lowering the front any can cause issues with drivability. There are speed bumps in parking lots that my car won't go over without scraping. Then there's those lovely imperfections on the road.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I thought about doing this but it is hard enough to get my fat azz in there already
Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 PM
DMark
Drifting

Here is the old girl.....
Old Girl - OLD GIRL!!!!

Ed, She is in the Prime of Life!

Uhhhhh...., Just as soon as I get these out-of-round BFGs off of her.

Now if you really wanted to show her in her prime you would find that smoking 360 video and post it.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:15 PM
marc.madmax
Advanced

The wheels are different than original, with lower aspect ratio tires. 18" with a 35 series. That seems to be why that car look like a 4X4. Stock the setup looks and runs fine to me. To me, the wheels change the handling of the car, especially if you change sizes, width, offset, not to mention the type of wheel with its deflection. Then the differences of the tire, the spring rate of the smaller sidewall, tread, etc etc...

I think that when you change the wheels from stock that you would adjust height, spring rates, shock valving, even the sway bar to get the config right again.

Even now I am torn as to changing wheels to 18's for a big brake setup as I would have to add even more to get the handling back to the way I like it. (If I keep her, I am on the fence as to selling)
Old 01-04-2008, 03:39 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BAM92
Nice write up.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DMark
Old Girl - OLD GIRL!!!!

Ed, She is in the Prime of Life!
Old to me. Sometimes I wish she was still in the garage.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:04 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Here is the old girl.

That's the look I like.

I did the same to mine.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...sVet2013-1.jpg

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering my Z.......................

Old 01-05-2008, 03:30 PM
DMark
Drifting

..... Sometimes I wish she was still in the garage.
Ed...., with all of your Combat & Sea Duty pay I'm sure we could work something out.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:00 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DMark
Ed...., with all of your Combat & Sea Duty pay I'm sure we could work something out.
Can't. Stock market is killing me.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:07 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Old to me. Sometimes I wish she was still in the garage.
When you did the Z, did you take the aluminum shim out that would have gone above the urethane wedge? Or did you put it back in?

Quick Reply: Lowering my Z.......................