C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Want a ZR1, need help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:15 PM
1fastC3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Want a ZR1, need help/advice

I am seriously considering buying a 1990 ZR1 black on black with just over 20k on the clock, the only problems i could find is the radio is not very good (typical for the Bose systems from what Ive heard) also the drivers side seat will not lean forward, the little latch at the top will not release, the guy wants $22k, I couldnt find any defects or flaws in the paint, I do like the car and would really like to have it, is it a fair price?

-alex
Old 09-28-2007, 08:51 PM
dbriana
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say closer to 20k unless it is in show condition.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Vette X 3
Racer

6 months ago, that car would have fetched more, but the market is down like the temperatures at night, so I'd say you're in the right area. Sounds like a good find- good luck!

Bill
Old 09-28-2007, 08:57 PM
ZR-1 dude
Advanced

sounds like a good price
Old 09-28-2007, 09:15 PM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Default More information...?

Tell more about it. Do you want a driver or "investment"? How many owners? Build #/Last 4 digits of VIN? How does the plenum look? At those miles, How about the power switch ? Are the seals good ? How about the hoses ?
It does seem to be a "buyers market", but a good one will still bring some $$. If you are going to get one, you might as well get a good one because $22K is a price for a nice example ... based on recent prices. I'm not sure about the rules on posting a link but there is a pretty central location that a lot of ZR1's gather and sell, google zr1 and you should find it .

Last edited by solid dobe; 09-28-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 PM
1fastC3
Racer

You may have misunderstood, I have my eye on a specific one that I test drove today, the paint was just fine, couldnt find any chips, scratches etc. Also it does have the power selector key, they guy said he had 3 extra, not sure how he pulled that off, he also said he had the 'pizza box' that came with the car and all the paper records from all the work that has been done. He said its completely stock and as far as I could tell aside from the drivers seat, everything was in good working order.

-alex
Old 09-28-2007, 10:28 PM
ZR-1 dude
Advanced

Originally Posted by solid dobe
Tell more about it. Do you want a driver or "investment"? How many owners? Build #/Last 4 digits of VIN? How does the plenum look? At those miles, How about the power switch ? Are the seals good ? How about the hoses ?
It does seem to be a "buyers market", but a good one will still bring some $$. If you are going to get one, you might as well get a good one because $22K is a price for a nice example ... based on recent prices. I'm not sure about the rules on posting a link but there is a pretty central location that a lot of ZR1's gather and sell, google zr1 and you should find it .
you mean the zr1netregistry.com or http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/index.php
Old 09-28-2007, 11:03 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by ZR-1 dude
sounds like a good price
Low miles, nice paint, history. If that's the color combo you like, go for it.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:31 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Get a car fax, and try to find out about previous owners. It seems like a fair price, as long as you keep it for three or four years, you should be able to get your money back. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:31 PM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by ZR-1 dude
you mean the zr1netregistry.com or http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/index.php
Yeah ..... so I guess that link is ok.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:36 PM
kalister1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All ZR-1's have the KEY. From what I have read all keys are keyed alike. Please correct me if I am wrong!
Old 09-29-2007, 01:06 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by kalister1
All ZR-1's have the KEY. From what I have read all keys are keyed alike. Please correct me if I am wrong!
Yes, all the same except the '90 key is different from the '91 thru '95.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:12 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-71
Yes, all the same except the '90 key is different from the '91 thru '95.
any 90 key will fit into any 90 switch anc the 91-95 will fit into any 91-95 switch
just to claify wht you said
Old 09-29-2007, 01:13 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I thought you were gong to wait?

Just found one and couldnt resist huh! LOL

anyway If its the color you want I say go for it!

Originally Posted by 1fastC3
I am seriously considering buying a 1990 ZR1 black on black with just over 20k on the clock, the only problems i could find is the radio is not very good (typical for the Bose systems from what Ive heard) also the drivers side seat will not lean forward, the little latch at the top will not release, the guy wants $22k, I couldnt find any defects or flaws in the paint, I do like the car and would really like to have it, is it a fair price?

-alex
Old 09-29-2007, 04:34 AM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like a fair price to me too with those low miles and minor issues you mentioned, I would go for it.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:54 AM
1fastC3
Racer

the last four digits are 1446, as for the seals, they were not dry rotted but i dont know if they keep the water out, it was a sunny day and the owner had the top off and the windows down. seeing what other people paid on the ZR1netregistry and other places it seems price wise its a fair deal. thanks for your input guys, i really appreciate it.

-alex
Old 09-29-2007, 01:32 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastC3
the last four digits are 1446, as for the seals, they were not dry rotted but i dont know if they keep the water out, it was a sunny day and the owner had the top off and the windows down. seeing what other people paid on the ZR1netregistry and other places it seems price wise its a fair deal. thanks for your input guys, i really appreciate it.

-alex
Alex,

If you can get a cash deal for 20K even better. I just sold a 91 with 30K miles for too cheap I think at $17K, white/black and limited market for me in Hawaii with high shipping to CONUS so the deals are out there. Even if they do not budge on 22K, nice price if super clean, no accidents, etc. and other issue. Ensure you check out all the items mentioned in zr1netregistry and preferably find someone to check it out for you that knows the ZR-1s well. There are some things that will cost you a bunch to address, even if it has only 20K on the clock.

Hooah, Army ROTC!

Get notified of new replies

To Want a ZR1, need help/advice

Old 09-29-2007, 10:06 PM
1fastC3
Racer

are there any ZR1 guru's in the Lexington Ky area? if so I need your help, the only thing i could tell was worked on was the drivers side headlight cause it wasnt perfectly lined up, I figure those little pill type things that break apart after 10-15 years went bad. no big deal just needs to be moved maybe 1/16 of an inch. also i conned my dad into running a carfax for me so if they are at all accurate i will know at least some of the history if there is any. what is the significance of the last four digits? someone asked by I cannot figure why.

as for the ROTC im an MSIII

-alex
Old 09-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Get a car fax, and try to find out about previous owners. It seems like a fair price, as long as you keep it for three or four years, you should be able to get your money back. Good luck.
Fred right on this. If it has the orginal Pizza box as well thats worht about $400 alone. 22K is not out of line for a 20 Kish mile Z
Old 09-29-2007, 10:45 PM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by solid dobe
what is the significance of the last four digits? someone asked by I cannot figure why.
I mentioned the build #/ last 4 digits because often when people post, they name the MY and build #. I just thought if you posted it, someone here might recognize it and be able to pass on some history. There are people who keep up with these like a religion. I saw not long ago where a guy had a listing with the prices all ZR1's sold on Ebay were bid up to in the last 3 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad someone keeps up with the trivia so I can ask.
I asked about the key cause I couldn't remember how to spell injector, lol. I should have phrased it .... When the "valet" key is on, Do the secondary injectors kick in as they should? In other words, since it has such low miles, are the injectors gummed up? IDK personally if it is normally a problem on low mile / rarely driven ZRs but I do hear it spoken of.

PS. Great color, Zaino is your friend

Last edited by solid dobe; 09-29-2007 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Want a ZR1, need help/advice