C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR-1 values

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:07 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Default ZR-1 values

Most ZR-1's are not driven regularly, and therefore don't require a lot of parts. Most parts on a ZR-1 are generic to other C4's. The BIGGEST concern I've encountered over the years talking to people inside and outside the corvette community when talking about ZR-1s is the outrageous prices for parts (and availability). People make buying/investing decisions on PRECEPTCIONS. When people charge outrageous prices and try to corner markets, they tend to destroy those markets (econ 101). When some of you try to elevate some of our suppliers to sainthood, you may want to remember, they are costing you (if you own a ZR-1) thousands of dollars in the value of your cars. (Lets see how long this one lasts!)

Last edited by zr1fred; 08-29-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

More accurately, it's a combination of Supply and Demand and the Golden Rule.
He who has all the "Gold" can set the Price anywhere he wants.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Well said. Time will tell..
Old 08-29-2007, 03:04 PM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Most ZR-1's are not driven regularly, and therefore don't require a lot of parts. Most parts on a ZR-1 are generic to other C4's. The BIGGEST concern I've encountered over the years talking to people inside and outside the corvette community when talking about ZR-1s is the outrageous prices for parts (and availability). People make buying/investing decisions on PRECEPTCIONS. When people charge outrageous prices and try to corner markets, they tend to destroy those markets (econ 101). When some of you try to elevate some of our suppliers to sainthood, you may want to remember, they are costing you (if you own a ZR-1) thousands of dollars in the value of your cars. (Lets see how long this one lasts!)

Ah Yea, umm, I'm gonna have to disagree, you might want to look at the mid year market or any parts market pertaining to special high performance. Your theory on econ 101 (destorying the market when one corners one). Parts for those have been crazy and its not going down. So I'm not really concerned with it. Its going to happen regardless as time goes on. Its been happening since Moby Dick was a minno. Like others have said law of supply and demand.

Last edited by LPE385; 08-30-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:47 PM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Fred, I'd say that one can't draw a straight line from parts availability and parts pricing directly to the value of a ZR-1, in general.

I see it as two issues. Parts availability & the prices are mostly only really known by owners. The perception that parts are hard to get is mainly held by non-owners...rightly or wrongly. Also, it hasn't ever been cheap to go fast. It's just that a ZR-1's stuff is limited and mainly non-existant. Most casual vette owners want the easy route to going quicker and the ZR-1 doesn't lend itself to that route...ya can't just whistle up a set of heads from AFR or Dart or get a heads & cam package from a catalog....I think that has more of a negative effect on the non-owner's opinion of a ZR-1's value.

As far as us owners and the prices we are willing to pay for what we need....well that is purely market driven, IMHO. I also think that us Z owners are a bit more committed to having a unique car than maybe other vette owners, again JMHO; but that makes us a bit vunerable to parts avalability & pricing. As a group, we are a captive market.

JMHO

Tom
Old 08-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Vette X 3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
I tend to agree Fred about PERCEPTIONS affecting reality.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR-1 values

Quick Reply: ZR-1 values