C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR-1 noob question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Default ZR-1 noob question

Hi gang,

So, I'm normally over in C2 land, but my Dad is thinking about getting a ZR-1. Since I've been finding all the places on my 67 where the VIN in stamped, I was wondering the same about the ZR-1. I see from the ZR-1 registry, that it is stamped in a BUNCH of places. I just want to confirm that the VIN is stamped somewhere on the heads. Here's the excerpt from the ZR-1 registry I'm referring to.

Also check for VIN # in the normal places, upper dash and on the drivers door jam as well as the console lid label where all of the options are listed. Dates are also stamped on all radiator, vacuum and a/c lines. There are also dates cast on most aluminum pieces. ie: alternator, water pump, plenum, heads etc.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Zethco
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

As stated in the quote from the registry, it's date stamps on most items. NOT VIN. I'm not sure exactly when, but it seems that practice stopped a long time ago. Mid 70's maybe? Not just for Vettes, all cars seemed to stop having that info stamped.

Actually somthing I've been wondering lately. When did that practice stop?

Many cars for sale saying 'matching numbers', when actually there is no longer such a thing.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:51 PM
bob howard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last 4 digits of the VIN number are stamped on the LT-5. I saw the numbers on a friends engine when he had it out. It was towards the rear.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:57 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have almost nothing to worry about with someone swapping out a LT5
Old 07-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

I'm just wondering about the possibility (if a Dunn head car is worth more $$$ in the future than a non-Dunn head car) if someone could swap NOS Dunn heads onto an originally non-Dunn head car and get more $$$ for it.

I'm learning so much about how many fake C2 big blocks there are out there, and it seems like the LT-5 is almost completely insulated against that kind of fraudulent behavior.

The other post where someone was selling NOS Dunn heads got me thinking, that's all.

There's an Admiral Blue ZR-1 here locally in MN (also on the ZR-1 registry) that would look really good in the garage next to my red/black 67 roadster and Dad's red/red 2000 coupe. All we would need after that would be a white chrome-bumper shark.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:16 PM
corvette1989bham
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray1967
I'm just wondering about the possibility (if a Dunn head car is worth more $$$ in the future than a non-Dunn head car) if someone could swap NOS Dunn heads onto an originally non-Dunn head car and get more $$$ for it.

I'm learning so much about how many fake C2 big blocks there are out there, and it seems like the LT-5 is almost completely insulated against that kind of fraudulent behavior.

The other post where someone was selling NOS Dunn heads got me thinking, that's all.

There's an Admiral Blue ZR-1 here locally in MN (also on the ZR-1 registry) that would look really good in the garage next to my red/black 67 roadster and Dad's red/red 2000 coupe. All we would need after that would be a white chrome-bumper shark.

Not much a chance or need for that with a LT5
Old 07-16-2007, 07:10 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The heads do not have the vin stamped on them

I actually dont remember the last set of heads from any car that had a vin stamp on the heads to include my 69

anyway the vin is stamped on the block and the transmission

so to answer your question like I said in the thread about the dunn heads yes somone could put dunn heads on that car and then "IF" they comand a higher price someday then yes you would never know for sure if it was a dunn head car unless you physically checked each and every car.

Its sort of like claiming you have a L89 you know 427/435 with aluminum heads.

Also I have torn apart a few of these cars and I really havent noticed any kind of date stamps on parts to include the heads plenum ac lines or vacum lines.

ac might be a ink type of stamp but the vacum lines haha never seen stamps on them but did see the small part number tags that were on mine originally they all fell off over time.

Last edited by phrogs; 07-16-2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Thanks phrogs, that's what I was thinking. The one thing about the L89 is that the General knew how many were made. We don't know for sure (at least I haven't seen it written down yet) how many Dunn head cars were made.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:37 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray1967
Thanks phrogs, that's what I was thinking. The one thing about the L89 is that the General knew how many were made. We don't know for sure (at least I haven't seen it written down yet) how many Dunn head cars were made.

True because it was a option, but some of the cars recived one dunn head and one older head so its really one of those things that I dont believe will matter really braging rights mostly but no value to me.

not to pay extra anyway.

enjoy!

Get notified of new replies

To ZR-1 noob question

Quick Reply: ZR-1 noob question