C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

emissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:06 PM
kevincott
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emissions

Wanted to pass on that in Illinois 1995 is the cutoff date.

I was doing the emissions test on my work truck and asked. The worker said no vehicle before 1995 model year is required to take anemissions test.

Guess that 96% of Illinois traffic is 1996 and newer and most older vehicles receive very few miles and are not worth the cost of testing.

I was a little worried due to an idle issue on my 91 Z that I am hopefully having fixed by months end.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Vette X 3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 91 passed with ease two years ago at the Indiana BMV. Last month, it failed miserably. Marc Haibeck and I went over how it failed and the data from his last data logger run on my car when it was in.

Everything pointed at one O2 sensor. I replaced both and I passed with practically nil readings so I guess I am glad the test told me something had changed. I too hate the damn test as only 2 counties in all of Indiana get nailed for the every other year test and that is thanks to our steel buddies in Gary. I guess its a mixed blessing. I agree we do more damage to the ozone waiting in line- like at toll booths! As long as we all can check our cars on our own once in a while we wouldn't need it.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Zethco
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Not sure what you're saying. Are you worried about passing? Or are you telling us IL Z guys about the new law?

If you already own the car (before they passed this recently) you have to take it in one last time. If you buy one today, you're cool.

I took my Z and TTA in for the last tests 2 months ago. The TTA blew damn near zero across the board... bone stock.

The Z has had some tweaks. All of the AIR crap disconnected, secondaries removed. Headers, porting, head work. RT Cats and B&B/X-pipe. Also blew super low across all tests. Granted, it runs like a virgin Princess on her wedding night... Until you hit the gas

They test these at idle, and test the gas cap. You probably have nothing to worry about (assuming you were asking about it).

M

Last edited by Zethco; 07-14-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:40 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by kevincott
Wanted to pass on that in Illinois 1995 is the cutoff date.

I was doing the emissions test on my work truck and asked. The worker said no vehicle before 1995 model year is required to take anemissions test.

Guess that 96% of Illinois traffic is 1996 and newer and most older vehicles receive very few miles and are not worth the cost of testing.

I was a little worried due to an idle issue on my 91 Z that I am hopefully having fixed by months end.
You gotta be kidding me. Cali's cutoff date is 1975 and I've got a '76 Chevy Cheyenne that missed it by one year. Oh and I maybe put 1000 miles a year on it. That's less smog than a Hybrid.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Zethco
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ZR-71
You gotta be kidding me. Cali's cutoff date is 1975 and I've got a '76 Chevy Cheyenne that missed it by one year. Oh and I maybe put 1000 miles a year on it. That's less smog than a Hybrid.

Ouch. Register them out of state??
Old 07-15-2007, 12:50 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Zethco
Ouch. Register them out of state??
Move out of state.

Get notified of new replies

To emissions

Quick Reply: emissions