C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Idler pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 10:29 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idler pulley

The pulley has gotten rather noisey on me the past few days, what do I need or what can be done to get this thing to sound normal and not like a hamster in a wheel.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2001, 12:24 AM
MWR
Pro

Default Re: Idler pulley (Jeffvette)

Jeff, pull the serpentine belt, then pull the idler pulley assembly.

Once you have the assembly off, remove the pulley from the assy and take it to an Autozone store if you have one, other stores if you do not. The reason I say take the pulley with you is that Autozone stocks the correct pulley but under the wrong part number. Doh. If no Autozone store, odds are that you can find one at another store for about 20 bucks. GM wants about 65 bucks for the whole assembly, and will have to order it (GM will not sell you the pulley alone).

Oh... the bearing is what goes bad, but the pulley is formed around the bearing and there is no way to replace anything other than the whole pulley. Sounds like the bearing is going bad fast -- replace it soon!

Rgds,
Mark
'92 ZR-1 #032
Old 10-12-2001, 12:36 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Default Re: Idler pulley (MWR)

Well, hell. My car only has 22,000 miles on the clock, and 8,000 within the past year. It shouldn't be going bad already.
Old 10-12-2001, 02:47 AM
MWR
Pro

Default Re: Idler pulley (Jeffvette)

Jeff, it's an 11-year-old bearing, and a weak one at that. If the pulley is noisy when you spin it with the belt off, replace the pulley, or wait until it seizes and breaks the belt in the middle of nowhere. :nopity

Rgds,
Mark
'92 ZR-1 #032

Get notified of new replies

To Idler pulley

Quick Reply: Idler pulley