C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

sick to my stomach...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:24 AM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default sick to my stomach...

Oh guys.. not a good morning (corvette wise..)

Well we got some snow up in NH last night, and my almost 3 year old son was very excited to go out and help me shovel snow.. We did part of the driveway and he wanted me to use the snowblower..

Well I went in the garage to get it, and all the xmas boxes etc were in the way, so I backed up the snowblower towards the corvette (I was inbetween the car and the blower) and as i pulled back I felt something hit.. The darn handle for the blower shoot was way out to the left and caught the corner of the Z!

I instantly felt sick to my stomach, and I knew it wasn't gonna be a polish mark.. I took quite a bit of paint off, down to the fiberglass.

Couple errors lead to this, 1) crap in the way in the garage 2) I wasn't careful enough 3) my son wanted me to use the snowblower (and I really didn't need it)

Took me a couple mins to cool down, but when I looked out and saw my son shoveling, I just continued to get the blower out and join him..

Pics below! I may pick up a couple panels at a junk yard and buy some touch up kits and practice touch up, sanding, polishing on those before trying it on the vette.. I know it will never be nice, but maybe I can take some pain out of it!

36K miles, 17 years old and the first real damage! Not sure its worth painting the whole tail quarter for, since it will prob never match the doors etc...

Still feeling a bit but the picture of my son having fun helps me quite a bit! Hope all your newyears is better than mine!

Last edited by Bans25; 12-31-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:34 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

ah dont kick yourself to much over it **** happens

are there things you could have done different yes but you were trying to make your son happy and thats what its all about you can get that fixed just have fun with your boy
Old 12-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ugh, sorry to hear that! I'm sure I'd be beating myself up over something like that too. But it happens. It won't make the car any slower or less fun to drive.

I remember replacing the lower/outer window weatherstripping on my '87 vette. I was drilling out the factory pop-rivets, only partially having a clue of what I was doing. One of them just wouldn't come out, so I thought it wasn't drilled through. I decided to go a little deeper, and was rewarded with shiny red metallic curls of fiberglass streaming out of the drill bit. I drilled right through the door (thankfully right under the side mirror where it was only slightly less obvious).

If you use touchup, my suggestion is to use a matchstick or a toothpick. Don't use the brush in the touchup bottle, they will put a ton of paint on, way too thick. Just let the paint spread from the toothpick via capillary action and you will get a nice even fill that will be a lot better than the brush-patterned glob you'd otherwise get. I usually break a toothpick in half at a jagged angle and use the broken edge to put the paint down.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:39 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Been there. A good body man could touch it up so as to make it practicaly invisible. I'll bet you remember the shoveling more than the scratch though.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the words guys, just talking about it makes me feel better.. someday (NOT TODAY!) I can look back and laugh about it.. well maybe not laugh, chuckle... or possibly just a smile??

Anyway, has anyone tryed a system like this?

http://www.langka.com/complete-paint...-kit-p-30.html
Old 12-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Been there. A good body man could touch it up so as to make it practicly invisible. I'll bet you remeber the shoveling more than the scratch though.
I know your right! Nothing is better than being with my kids!!
Old 12-31-2006, 11:49 AM
AlHewitt
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 93 Posts

If it were an airplane this would be called 'hangar rash' and is not considered damage history. I'm also guilty of this type of sin and believe others on this site are too. So get it fixed and you'll get over it.
BTW I love red Corvettes....
Old 12-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bans25
Anyway, has anyone tryed a system like this?

http://www.langka.com/complete-paint...-kit-p-30.html
I have heard of it. Good things. It helps, but of course isn't perfect. I have never tried it though. The main reason is that you have to sand a little.

I'm not of the mindset to do that. To me, I want to fix the damaged part as best as possible, but not at the expense of affecting the perfectly good paint around the damage. Sanding the area around it will lower the clear there and then you'll possibly have a larger area of uneven paint. I'd rather just have a touchup that looks better than the chip, even if it doesn't blend in perfectly well.

Anyway, if you want to try it, it's also sold under the Mother's name and you may be able to find that locally and for less.

Edit: also, you mentioned practicing. FYI but keep some mineral spirits or laquer thinner nearby. If the touchup isn't going how you want, just wipe it off. Touchup is usually laquer paint whereas the original is probably a catalyzed urethane paint. So the laquer thinner really won't affect the original paint (though don't let the laquer thinner just sit there on the paint. Wipe it off promptly, as the longer it is there, the more it can start to do it's thing). Mineral spirits are even milder and should be strong enough to remove fresh/wet touchup paint. I use distilled mineral spirits to prep the chip anyway just to make sure any wax or anything is cleaned out of there.

Last edited by Aurora40; 12-31-2006 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aurora40
I have heard of it. Good things. It helps, but of course isn't perfect. I have never tried it though. The main reason is that you have to sand a little.

I'm not of the mindset to do that. To me, I want to fix the damaged part as best as possible, but not at the expense of affecting the perfectly good paint around the damage. Sanding the area around it will lower the clear there and then you'll possibly have a larger area of uneven paint. I'd rather just have a touchup that looks better than the chip, even if it doesn't blend in perfectly well.

Anyway, if you want to try it, it's also sold under the Mother's name and you may be able to find that locally and for less.
Thanks, this is the input I was looking for. Im not sure if I will use it or not yet, and if I do.. I will be trying it out on something else first!

One question, does the 90' corvette have clearcoat? I thought they don't?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:03 PM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AlHewitt
If it were an airplane this would be called 'hangar rash' and is not considered damage history. I'm also guilty of this type of sin and believe others on this site are too. So get it fixed and you'll get over it.
BTW I love red Corvettes....
I do too.. many complain that they are the most common color.. but there is a good reason why..

Of course I like other colors too!!
Old 12-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Bans25
Melting Slicks

darn these pictures post large..

Is there anyway to post pics smaller, and allow to click on them to make bigger?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:13 PM
corvette1989bham
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call your local high line car dealer ...mercedes , bms, etc. ask them who does their paint touch up ...find someone that uses the rub on rub off type of repair ...they can make it look much better.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Zproud
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they have clear...cost to have it repaired $500.00 to $900.00 and you will not see the repair..
Old 12-31-2006, 03:48 PM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should part it out now that your NCRS aspirations for car are finished Better yet you should install those headers, exhaust, & gears and have some fun with it since its now damaged goods...
Old 12-31-2006, 04:10 PM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

I don't know how to link a picture within the forums quasi-html.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 AM
guinnessdood
Drifting

Bill...your snow blower scrape looks a lot like my window cleaner squeegee scrape! Really looks nice against that red paint. I cleaned my windshield while on a trip at a gas station and when I went to "flick off" the water from the squeegee I hit the side of my car...gouged it right down to the fiberglass...just like yours even with the same angle. Lovely.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Man, it looks EXACTLY like my car!

I better go look at mine to make sure it isn't the one you chipped!

Actually you have a front plate, and don't have the '91 endurance decal. But still, it sure looked like you put up a picture of my car at first.

Get notified of new replies

To sick to my stomach...

Old 01-02-2007, 02:10 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Finally your car has some character! Don't sweat the small stuff. I remember the first rock chip I got on my '73 after new paint. That rock flew through the air in super slow mo!
I know it's there, but it's silver, so it doesn't show too much, so I just left it alone....just get your beast touched up, and have a good humored story to tell.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:50 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Easy fix! You don't need a bodyman for that. If you were closeby I'd have it done for you in a couple of hours not including waiting for paint to dry.

1- Get the matching paint.

2- Lightly sand the area in and around the gouge with #600.

3- Clean carefully thinner

4- With a very small touch up brush (00), begin filling the gouge with layers of paint. Only use a brushfull at a time and wait until it's dry. You want the paint dry underneath and not just on the surface so it can be smoothed at each addition.

5- Add enough layers to build a small mound just above the height of the original paint.

6- When completely dry begin to sand/polish off the excess from the mound until it matches the original surface. You should start with #600 and work your way to #1500, then #2000 and to polish (NO WAX). Each time you go to the next finer grain of paper make sure your strokes are perpendicular to the last sanding. You should USE A SANDING BLOCK of foam or soft wood. Your fingers will just follow the grooves and not knock down the ridges.

By the time you get to fine polish the gouge will be long gone and only you standing there at the right light angle will be able to find it. Don't be afraid to let coats dry for a couple of days if you aren't driving the car.

For any of you who have these little dings and scratches I suggest you buy a Micromesh polishing kit. I have used them for years for polishing the museum/show quality large scale models I build. They have grit from #1500 to 1200, plus polish. You can actually get a finish smoother than most glass if you want. A kit is about $20, and I'll get a source up for you asap.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:57 PM
HADI-ZR-1
Pro

Man, I wish if i have cute son like you have...
its is just a fiberclass , nice that your son is fine
happy new year all......

Quick Reply: sick to my stomach...