C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ok tell me a story

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 09:04 PM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Default ok tell me your story

I want to hear from you guys that have these wonderful cars, the story behind it..when you first heard about it,first saw one, when you decided to get one and any sacrifices you had to make in order to get it. I love the ZR-1 but seems unattainable..well I could but then would have to use it as a daily driver...

Last edited by Mr.SOONTOBECORVETTE; 07-09-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:25 PM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Old 07-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Zproud
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just do it...what do you have to spend ?
like most of us...this is not our first vette...

I had to sell my 79 got a 87 ...sold the 87 ...only to get a ZR 1.. some day I may sell it to get someting different...a yellow zr1 or a c-6 or a z 06...or maybe I will just keep it.

you could do the same buy A C4 they are fairly cheep right now....then when you can afford the Zr 1 buy one.

or buy a high mileage one and use it as a daily driver..

It all depends on what you want to spend... Do not be affraid of the car... it will run with higher mileage...

I love my car...GOT IT WITH 39 K ..now 42 k owned it for almost 3 years. if you can swing it do it! good luck!

Last edited by Zproud; 07-09-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:34 PM
MR.LT1
Drifting

so tell me is the ZR-1 really that much of a beast?? The few times I have seen one the rear of that car is just amazing....
Old 07-10-2005, 07:46 AM
boatman
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You can Research Anything

Log on to: www.zr1registry.com The site will answer any questions you may have.

Run a search engine on ZR-1. You should find plenty of stories there also.

Boatman
Old 07-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

I've liked the ZR1 since I first knew about it. I will own one after August when Lance hands me the keys to the Carlisle giveawaycar. If I don't win that one, I may be forced to actually buy one, but I have a specific one in mind and it will be hard to find for the price I want to pay.

As for a story, I beat a ZR1 at the track yesterday. In all fairness it was a bracket race, I dialed a 13.04 to his 12.68.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:03 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

well I have always loved them since they came out in 90 and I always wanted one, well in 2001 I finaly bought my black 90 and I drive it everyday it is my daily driver. Im not a wash and wax kind of guyI get it out there and beat on it!

I also own 2 other ZR1s Just can have one hahahaha
Old 07-10-2005, 04:55 PM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Originally Posted by phrogs
I also own 2 other ZR1s Just can have one hahahaha
must be nice
Old 07-11-2005, 12:03 AM
key_on
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like most other ZR-1 enthusiasts, I've wanted one since they first came out. Never thought it would be within my means to own one. Well, I was wrong. I've had mine for almost 2 years. Bought it with 2900 miles. It now has 5600. Its an amazing car. I consider myself quite fortunate as there is no other Corvette I'd rather own.

As wonderful as the car is, I can't say I'd want it as a daily driver. If that is your plan, make sure you spend some seat time in stop and go traffic (the clutch can get tiring and the engine is a bear to keep cool). I know many forum members use theirs as daily drivers and love them, its just not for me.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:32 AM
gmanZR1
Instructor

Default How it all started

I was bitten by the Corvette bug when I was a 18 and bought a '66 Coupe. Sold that after 10 years, when I got bored with it.

I was actually looking for a 'vert, and was scanning various web pages, Auto Shopper, etc and when I went to a local restaurant for lunch one day, I saw the famous ZR-1 badge on the rear of a black car. My search quickly changed to ZR-1's and realized that they were not out of my price range, and located a 91 w/ 49k at a dealer in North Jersey, for only $24,900. over the next two years, I put another 10k miles on it and decided to look for another 'vert, and located my current '92.

I just had to have it since it was serial #350! Both cars were bone stock to start with........not now!

Car is definitely not my daily driver, but whenever I need to drive londer distances for work, my ZR-1 is the car of choice!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:15 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by key_on
Like most other ZR-1 enthusiasts, I've wanted one since they first came out. Never thought it would be within my means to own one. Well, I was wrong. I've had mine for almost 2 years. Bought it with 2900 miles. It now has 5600.
You drive your Corvette less than 1400 miles a year?

Shame!

(Hey, I wish I were you!!!)
Larry
code5coupe
Old 07-11-2005, 01:22 PM
LoTu5
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Corvette's in my veins,i remember back in the 60's,i was around 7 or 8, my mum went thru some bad times and ended up in hospital, on my way to visit her i saw a 64 -66 vette and at the time it was like nothing ide seen before as everything on our roads was either green or grey and boring,i was so elated about telling my mother of this bright red and Chrome piece of art i swear it had a positive affect on her,it picked us both up.........i was an American car freak from then on.......in the late 80's i went round to a mates house and he informed me of a vette soon to hit the scene called a ZR-1 that could do 180+ and hit 60 in the 4's(a big deal after the smog motor era)..this would be a dream car for me and in the meantime i would play around with my Mustang...things got better for my dream when ide heard how it held 12 world records ......in 97 i bought my 1st C4 with a 4+3 and 350 TPI but seeing ide always had my eye on a ZR-1 it just served to fill the void,then in 99 i got enough money up together to start looking for a ZR-1 and once i had secured a loan got myself 1990 #1799.

I think a stock ZR-1 would make an ideal daily driver,here in the UK you can insure one cheap enough on classic insurance plus they are pretty straight forward to maintain,just gotta learn a few little techniques like getting to the 8th spark plug.

Last edited by LoTu5; 07-11-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:05 AM
koolaid117
Advanced

Just Do It.

Depending on where you live it may work out as a daily driver. However, living in Ohio, I don't plan on using it as my daily driver. Lots of torque + hp - traction control = problems on snow/ice.

Most of the general public will not even notice that it is a "different" Corvette. But there will be those that will and will ask you about it. It is the scariest car I have ever driven. I LOVE IT!!!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:18 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I've always drooled over the ZR1. Hopefully before the year is out I'll have one. Iv'e been holding off since there are other things I should save the money for, but I can't help it, I have to have one!
Old 07-24-2005, 09:47 PM
webgear
Advanced

I got mine new in 1990 and used it as a daily driver except in the winter. In the winter I drove my 84 with VR rated mud&snows. Around 1993 I began using the ZR1 as a daily driver year round (in Buffalo). With GSC tires it was able to move in the snow. In 1996 and 1997 I also did alot of commuting between Buffalo and Raleigh. I had to use it everyday because I was upside down in the loan and didn't have a reliable second car. I didn't buy a winter car until 1997. I bought a $300 Buick Century. Now I have an 05 GTO and the ZR-1. I never had any problems using the ZR-1 as a regular everyday car. It even does pretty good on gas. Much better on gas than the GTO. I think the ZR-1 is very comfortable as long as you never drive anything else. If you switch between two cars then you realize how extreme the ZR-1 actually is. The best scenario is to drive a ZR1 exclusively. With the help of this forum, that is not much of a stretch.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:54 PM
boatman
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LoTu5 - Your ZR-1 Purchase

Originally Posted by LoTu5
The Corvette's in my veins,i remember back in the 60's,i was around 7 or 8, my mum went thru some bad times and ended up in hospital, on my way to visit her i saw a 64 -66 vette and at the time it was like nothing ide seen before as everything on our roads was either green or grey and boring,i was so elated about telling my mother of this bright red and Chrome piece of art i swear it had a positive affect on her,it picked us both up.........i was an American car freak from then on.......in the late 80's i went round to a mates house and he informed me of a vette soon to hit the scene called a ZR-1 that could do 180+ and hit 60 in the 4's(a big deal after the smog motor era)..this would be a dream car for me and in the meantime i would play around with my Mustang...things got better for my dream when ide heard how it held 12 world records ......in 97 i bought my 1st C4 with a 4+3 and 350 TPI but seeing ide always had my eye on a ZR-1 it just served to fill the void,then in 99 i got enough money up together to start looking for a ZR-1 and once i had secured a loan got myself 1990 #1799.

I think a stock ZR-1 would make an ideal daily driver,here in the UK you can insure one cheap enough on classic insurance plus they are pretty straight forward to maintain,just gotta learn a few little techniques like getting to the 8th spark plug.
======================================== =============
LoTu5 - With you being across the pond, could you give us the Reader's Digest version on how you found the ZR-1 you have. Did it come from the state's? Transportation from here? Buy it in England? I think it is great that you guy's like American Muscle. Boatman
Old 07-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Car one 1990 zr1.
In 94 my son got scolarships to pay for his college so the college fund became available and being a corvette guy I bought a used 90 zr1. Neadless to say its his car in the end. From that time on I was really interestd in zr1s and learned all I could about these cars.

Car two 1988 ZR1.
In 97/98 some one advertised a '88' ZR1 no engine or trans in Hemmings. (If anyone has a copy of that ad I sure would appreciate a copy) I saw the ad and said yea right and ignored it as did everyone I know. The seller (he had bought the car as used parts no vin) got no response so he dicided to turn the car into a pro street racer with a big block. The first thing he did was put on coil overs on the car and he discovered the build sheet in the suspension.(All c4s have a build sheet in the left front suspension) From this he learned that the car was in fact a prototype, one of 24 (EX5014) produced in 1988 as test cars for development of the ZR1.
He contacted a friend of mine (who restored the 89 pilot car and I think couple of others Ed?) with the information and offer to sell the car. My friend had Tom Hill and Gordon Killibrew go check the car and after they verfied it was in fact a surviving prototype he bought the car. It sat in his show room for several years where I saw it and offered to find the correct motor for the car. I also said to contact me if he ever wanted to sell the car. 7 months later he called with a price and I bought it. I contacted a friend in England with access to the graveyard and ex lotus lt5 parts and he was able to locate a block and all the necessary parts for a running phase 2 motor which he built for me. I contacted Kurt White and he has a prototype (s/n 210) zf 6 which will eventually be installed in the car.
The block (s/n 42) had actually been to the states and installed in one of these cars and for some reason been shipped back to England. Its taken me 2 years to finally get all the bugs worked out and get the car running. It will be on display at Carslile in August.

Tyler

Get notified of new replies

To ok tell me a story

Old 07-25-2005, 10:03 PM
LoTu5
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boatman
======================================== =============
LoTu5 - With you being across the pond, could you give us the Reader's Digest version on how you found the ZR-1 you have. Did it come from the state's? Transportation from here? Buy it in England? I think it is great that you guy's like American Muscle. Boatman

Hey no problem Boatman,with the ZR-1 being a rare enough car in the States over here in the the UK they are even more so,(i think there are around 30-40 ZR-1's in the UK at a guesstimate) however if you buy the right mags you can sort them out.

My first move was to buy all the trader mags with American muscle in and trawl through them,i came up with some dealer ones that always looked a tad pricey,but eventually found #1799 in an American car section of "Top Marques" British car magazine this was in May "99" and they wanted just under £19,000($34,000) for the car.

Cars History; Built in 1990 (Blk/Blk) the car was shipped to Germany and has a German vin plate on the under side of the hood,#1799 came into the UK on 19/Jan 1998 and went to Carlisle ,a town just south of the scottish border,from there the Z found its way to a second hand American car dealer in Chorley just north of Manchester, Northern England with 47,746 miles on the speedo.

I first saw the car on May 19th 99 and instantly fell in love with it,,Man!! i couldnt believe i was atlast going to own my very own ZED-R-ONE and i remember i kept wandering to the rear of the car to look at the glorious wide back bumper ,there were a few faults but nothing i couldnt fix,it needed some rear tires,the top brake light had a hole with a plug in it and on inspection needed renewing,the drivers seat switch needed replacing and the inflatable restraint light was on,,after some bataring i got the price down to £18,000 and a new rear set of tyres thrown in,the other bits i could do myself,,,,anyway i had a 230 mile trip south to do and wanted to see how this babe would drive so being careful not to overstep the mark i drove the car in bursts of speed starting off slowish till we had got aquainted with each other,i was more than impressed with the car and although the brakes were not her best feature that was something else we could look at together,i say together as ive never known a car make me feel so happy and put a smile on my face so much(Ok there have been bad times but thats not down to the car) and whenever i do work on her its always with a lot of care,its crazy that a man and a machine should have such a bond and very hard to explain
Old 07-30-2005, 01:16 PM
zr11990broken
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley
Car one 1990 zr1.
In 94 my son got scolarships to pay for his college so the college fund became available and being a corvette guy I bought a used 90 zr1. Neadless to say its his car in the end. From that time on I was really interestd in zr1s and learned all I could about these cars.

Car two 1988 ZR1.
In 97/98 some one advertised a '88' ZR1 no engine or trans in Hemmings. (If anyone has a copy of that ad I sure would appreciate a copy) I saw the ad and said yea right and ignored it as did everyone I know. The seller (he had bought the car as used parts no vin) got no response so he dicided to turn the car into a pro street racer with a big block. The first thing he did was put on coil overs on the car and he discovered the build sheet in the suspension.(All c4s have a build sheet in the left front suspension) From this he learned that the car was in fact a prototype, one of 24 (EX5014) produced in 1988 as test cars for development of the ZR1.
He contacted a friend of mine (who restored the 89 pilot car and I think couple of others Ed?) with the information and offer to sell the car. My friend had Tom Hill and Gordon Killibrew go check the car and after they verfied it was in fact a surviving prototype he bought the car. It sat in his show room for several years where I saw it and offered to find the correct motor for the car. I also said to contact me if he ever wanted to sell the car. 7 months later he called with a price and I bought it. I contacted a friend in England with access to the graveyard and ex lotus lt5 parts and he was able to locate a block and all the necessary parts for a running phase 2 motor which he built for me. I contacted Kurt White and he has a prototype (s/n 210) zf 6 which will eventually be installed in the car.
The block (s/n 42) had actually been to the states and installed in one of these cars and for some reason been shipped back to England. Its taken me 2 years to finally get all the bugs worked out and get the car running. It will be on display at Carslile in August.

Tyler
I had no idea anyone had a car like that that was intact and in running condition. I would love to hear more and see pics, if you dont mind. How does the phase II engine compare to the ones in our cars? Can you drive it the same as a production Z? What about the chains, are they single or duell. Also, what are the differences of the 2 engines?
Old 07-30-2005, 01:54 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I saw one with my Dad in high school at a dealer in Fort Walton FL. a Red/Red 1990. I swore that day I would have one. If the car will maintain a reasonable space between tripping the SES or screwing up otherwise..I will keep it.

I always wanted one because I like Corvettes(my Dad always had them) buth otherwise loath American made cars. What could be better, a Corvette with European influence.

Quick Reply: ok tell me a story