C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

can someone esplain these plug wires to me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 01:10 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default can someone esplain these plug wires to me?

check these out

I thought these wires were for like big cube motors that needed some stronger spark
and this engine is stock bottom end?
I think this is some over kill??

Last edited by phrogs; 05-30-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Johnny, is there a link or picture missing?
Old 05-30-2005, 01:40 PM
phrogs
Race Director

I had to fix the pic, it was huge
Old 05-30-2005, 02:56 PM
hopingToBuyZR1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer wire cover

you guys see the computer at the top of the picture ?
the zr-1 I just bought is missing the plastic cover that protects the wires that connect to it. do you know where I can buy something like this ? or maybe a GM part number so my mechanic can order one.

thanks
Old 05-30-2005, 03:47 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

He spent the money on a samco air duct and let the motor get that nasty? I hope I don't offend anyone
Old 05-30-2005, 04:08 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Those are for better noise suppression - only problem is that the ZR-1 didn't suffer from radio noise - essentially this grounded each plug to the engine for a sharper/hotter spark and suppressed some noise from the radio - or so I thought!
Old 05-30-2005, 04:42 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Those are for better noise suppression - only problem is that the ZR-1 didn't suffer from radio noise - essentially this grounded each plug to the engine for a sharper/hotter spark and suppressed some noise from the radio - or so I thought!

well thats what they used on older engines like 69 for example, they also had the metal shielding as well.

but what would you need something like this on a LT5?

Oh and as for the nastyness of the motor the previous owner wasnt to concerned with apearance.

I wonder how much I could sell that hose for? it also has the lingenfelter script on it?? anytakers!

Last edited by phrogs; 05-30-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:00 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by phrogs
I wonder how much I could sell that hose for? it also has the lingenfelter script on it?? anytakers!

$5
Old 05-30-2005, 05:13 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Johnny: Did you just aquire this Z?, What type of air filter housing is on it ?. Are you planing to Part it out or Daily Driving her? We need more pics!
Old 05-30-2005, 05:15 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Originally Posted by TommyL
Johnny: Did you just aquire this Z?, What type of air filter housing is on it ?. Are you planing to Part it out or Daily Driving her? We need more pics!

Yeah I just got this one, Im not sure what im going to do with her just yet..
Old 05-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

http://www.hopupracing.com/nohospplwich.html
Old 05-30-2005, 08:20 PM
matszr1
Instructor

Is anyone actually useing these wires and are they worth the money? Seem a bit expensive for not being the origanal wires.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matszr1
Is anyone actually useing these wires and are they worth the money? Seem a bit expensive for not being the origanal wires.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Used them for 75,000 out of 185,000 and they are still going strong. Worth the extra money? Who knows, I combined them with hotter coils of which at least one has gone bad.

Tyler
Old 05-30-2005, 10:41 PM
matszr1
Instructor

Let me rephrase a little. Any noticable added HP or running better/smoother/cleaner?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:58 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Let me rephrase a little. Any noticable added HP or running better/smoother/cleaner?

John Stewart recommended the Nology wires and the screamon deamon coils for his nitrous system.

when the cyl pressure increases significantly through either nitrous, turbo, ect... you need more spark energy to light off the mix.

on a stock car, I would go with the stock coils and wires as they work fine. the replacement wires don't have the fancy LT5 markings but it's the same wire. MSD I think makes a decent replacement wire too.

on a stock car, I doubt you would see much of a power increase but it would be interesting to dyno it and see. the stock stuff is pretty good and "lit is lit"

there are alot of claims about making more HP with fancy wires, plugs, coils, ect... but most of them are just that, claims.

I read somewhere the smartest thing about ignition systems. you can only lite the fire off completely. having an arc welder ignition doesn't make any more power, it just wears everything out faster. ignitions typically only "take away" power by not working well enough to lite the fire. once you have a spark hot enough to do that, anything more is unnecessary.

just my 02
Old 05-31-2005, 08:40 AM
cward
Instructor

I had Nology wires and Screamin' Demon coils along with non-resistor plugs installed on #364. After this was done, I noticed a slight hesitation had been introduced. I spent much too long trying to figure it out as it was intermittent. Finally was going to replace everything and started with the plugs which instantly fixed the problem. Lesson is: always use resistor type plugs. Also, the Nology wires made it hard to put the car on a dyno as it would shield the pulse needed to run the dyno tach. I did not notice an increase in power but it was just one of the things that I decided probably wouldn't hurt and might help at high rpm.

Curtis

Get notified of new replies

To can someone esplain these plug wires to me?

Old 05-31-2005, 08:47 AM
cward
Instructor

Originally Posted by 90 Corvette ZR-1
He spent the money on a samco air duct and let the motor get that nasty? I hope I don't offend anyone
You didn't offend me but would like to point out that some cars and engines that are not polished can still be well maintained and can run pretty good. :-)

Curtis (a person not noted for washing or waxing old #364) :-)
Old 05-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Jim78SA
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogs
well thats what they used on older engines like 69 for example, they also had the metal shielding as well.

but what would you need something like this on a LT5?

Oh and as for the nastyness of the motor the previous owner wasnt to concerned with apearance.

Let me know how much you want for the Air Duct. Depending on $$, I may take it off your hands.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:23 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cward
You didn't offend me but would like to point out that some cars and engines that are not polished can still be well maintained and can run pretty good. :-)

Curtis (a person not noted for washing or waxing old #364) :-)
Oh I know that the outward appearance of the motor has nothing to do with how well it was taken care of mechanically. I happen to be one of the people who likes to make the car look as good as she runs.

Quick Reply: can someone esplain these plug wires to me?