C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Spare tire removal. Your thoughts please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 05:01 PM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06
Default Spare tire removal. Your thoughts please.

I did a search and didn't find much on the subject. So if I'm beating a dead horse here please forgive me.

I've heard talk of removing the whole spare tire and carrier assembly in an attempt to shave a few pounds and squeez a tid bit more performance out. "Just tote a cell phone and a can of fix a flat", they say. Just pray that you dont have a total tire shredder blowout, I guess.

I'm pondering this and it occured to me that the lil' C4 doughnut cant weigh much more than about around 15lbs or so. So is it worth it??

Does anyone know how much the carrier assembly and hardware weighs?? Or what the total weight reduction of tire and assembly is??

Has anyone considered the possible wind lift or drag that could result in opening that pocket up back there where wind could catch in the rear bumper area?? Not saying it happens, just wondering.

I'm kind of thinking that maybe eliminating my personal spare tire and shedding about 15 or 20 lbs. off of me instead of the Vette would be better for my health and smarter than removing the Vettes spare. But that would mean less beer!!

Any thoughts on the matter guys????

T.I.A.,

Dave
Old 01-23-2005, 05:15 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The spare tire is part of the rear collision absorbing system. In 95 and 96, IIRC, when a C4 was equipped with runflats, a H-shaped aluminum beam was installed in place of the spare tire carrier.

The whole assembly weighs about 30-35 lbs. But for drag racing, that weight is behind the rear axle and would help some for traction. For autocross and track days, the weight savings could help.

I've never heard whether or not removing the carrier makes a difference in airflow under the car. The carrier itself does not weigh much more than about 10lbs so you could pull the spare and fashion a block to take up the space so the carrier could be tightened up and kept in position.

Guess if you have a cell phone and AAA, you may be OK without the spare. A blowout that shreads the tire may really foul things up if you don't have a spare especially if it happens after all the local tire shops are closed.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:48 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had mine off for the two years that I've had the car. Fix a flat and cellphone are my only hope. I didn't weigh the pieces, but the jack has to weigh at least 10 Lbs, spare ~20Lbs, and the carrier and hardware probably 10 Lbs.

People say that it is the crash absorber for the rear, but looking at how it's put together, I can't see how it would make any significant difference. Two little bolts in the front are supposed to absorb a significant impact? I'm not convinced. Plus my spare was useless when I received the car, would not hold air at all and I couldn't find a replacement.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:15 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I run without a spare, jack, etc and carry a cell phone and tire plug kit with a pair of pliers.

I also run with 1/3-2/3 tank of fuel; the combination saves about 100lbs from stock curb weight and is worth about .1sec off the 1/4 mile time.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:16 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want to increase your life expectancy, then buy a Volvo.

I had a rapid tire deflation, and it blew out as I was trying to get to the shoulder. Had to get flat bedded home. It's much harder than I expected to notice a low tire with these low profiles on here.

Most people drive around with rotted and/or flat spare tires anyways. Now how dumb does that sound?
Old 01-23-2005, 08:03 PM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
If you want to increase your life expectancy, then buy a Volvo.
Then I would just die of bordem.

My spare is in good shape. But I may sacrafice it.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:11 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Loose the spare
Buy more beer
Old 01-23-2005, 10:06 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I will probably never use the spare. I'm not crawling under the car on the side of the road to get that thing out unless I'm in such a hurry that I can't wait for AAA. Given that a flat is going to take anywhere from a couple hours to a couple days to repair, the extra hour waiting for AAA is pretty insignificant.

(I had a flat in the middle of Colorado a few months ago. Unrepairable. No vette sizes in stock anywhere in CO. 40 hrs later I got back on the road.)

I'm also doubtful that my C5 rears will fit in the carrier, so it's only good for a front flat for me.

But I have no reason to remove it for street use.

For autoX or road racing I might replace it with the delete bar.

Now if I could figure out how to turn that space into a useful trunk, I might take the spare out. I have a vert and it sorely lacks luggage space.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Keeping the spare isn't going to hurt and losing it isn't going to hurt either.

If you are primarily a street driver and cruiser, leave it there. If you are a drag racer, remove it for weight savings(it's gotta be more than 15lbs, though I never actually weighed it).

As far as crash protection, if you get hit hard enough where that would be a factor, I think you'd be lucky to survive with or without it. Besides it wouldn't matter, you'd be in jail for killing the bastard who rear ended you.
The frame extends to the rear of the car anyway, so it isn't like there is no protection at all.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:17 PM
sniperdiver37
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loose the spare you loose some "rattles" in the rear, save on weight, and make room to work on thinks under it.
Being that I went from 16" wheel to 17" with some real meat on them that spare does nothing for me.

Cell phone and give a good buddy a key to the garage to bring you a floor jack.....

serving Proudly~ Jeff
Old 01-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by sniperdiver37
Being that I went from 16" wheel to 17" with some real meat on them that spare does nothing for me.
If you kept the same tire diameter, that shouldn't matter.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:34 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is coming out. Cheap weight savings plus it makes it easier to work under your car without it.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:35 PM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
Keeping the spare isn't going to hurt and losing it isn't going to hurt either.
I've about decided this is true. I may just pull the tire and jack and lighten my load to go to the track and return it for road trips and cruising. Then again, since I drive it to the track and dont trailer it, maybe I'll just leave it alone.

Besides it wouldn't matter, you'd be in jail for killing the bastard who rear ended you.
Well, ya got a point there.

I may be "devil may care" but safety or fear of a rear ending was never part of the equation for me.

THANKS for everones replies and input.

Dave
Old 01-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Rich & Lisa_84
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'd be in jail for killing the bastard who rear ended you.
So very true. If I'm not in jail, it will be because Lisa got to him before I did. Which means I go get the bail.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:31 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default For a race, 1/4 mile or autox its a good idea.

But for a daily driver, I wouldn't. I was thinking about doing the spare tire delete, but before I did it I shreaded a tire and the spare sure came it handy.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:35 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never leave home without it lol, unlike forgetting the cell phone-or forgetting to charge the batteries and the cig. adapters in the daily.You can always remove it at the track.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Mine's out most of the time. There's a place I park frequently where when returning to the car I'm walking uphill as I approach the rear. With the cleaned up rear components, the swoop of the big pipes and the now even larger tires and wheels, it's a great view when unencumbered by the spare and carrier. What can I say? I've always appreciated a nice rear end!

Get notified of new replies

To Spare tire removal. Your thoughts please.

Quick Reply: Spare tire removal. Your thoughts please.