C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Aftermarket/ Custom Chips

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 03:57 PM
James93LT1
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Aftermarket/ Custom Chips

I was wondering if a aftermarket/ custom chip will help me on my pretty much stock A4 car? I plan to stay with this set up for a while. The mods are a KN open air, TB bypass, 1.6 Roller Rockers w/ LT4 spring, and 3.07 gears. Can a aftermarket/custom chip make a improvement in performance (1/4 mile) as some makers claim?
If so...any recommendations to who I should get a chip made by?
Thanks,

Last edited by James93LT1; 12-24-2004 at 06:24 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-23-2004, 04:02 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James93LT1
I was wondering if a aftermarket/ custom chip will help me on my pretty much stock car? I plan to stay with this set up for a while. The mods are a KN open air, TB bypass, 1.6 Roller Rockers w/ LT4 spring, and 3.07 gears. Can a aftermarket/custom chip make a improvement in performance (1/4 mile) as some makers claim?
If so...any recommendations to who I should get a chip made by?
Thanks,
Generally speaking, yes. I've had great success with the Ed Wright fastchip. I recommend them for your year - check out http://www.fastchip.com/93.htm for details. This will require you to run a 160 degree stat, but changing that is no problem.

You may want to open up the exhaust a bit since you opened up the intake. Remember, what goes in must go out.

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2004, 05:49 PM
C4396roadster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

azzato chip here he is on the board look him up ski_it_down
Old 12-23-2004, 06:09 PM
MTVette
Race Director

Received 476 Likes on 133 Posts

I have an Ed Wright Fastchip for a 92/93 LT1 Auto which I no longer need. If you're interested, drop me an email.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:17 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C4396roadster
azzato chip here he is on the board look him up ski_it_down
This is a speed density car and not a MAF application.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:22 AM
James93LT1
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks Cprgmr....looking into Fast Chips.

MTVette...e-mail sent.

Thanks
James
Old 12-24-2004, 08:49 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cprgmr
This is a speed density car and not a MAF application.
That makes a difference?? I have done MANY SD applications with GREAT results including my own. 10.3@132MPH, Hooked Ups 10.03@133, need I continue?

James if you need any help get in touch with me ski_dwn_it@yahoo.com

Merry Chirstmas all, be safe and hope santa brings lots of vette components.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:53 AM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ski_dwn_it
I have done MANY SD applications with GREAT results including my own. 10.3@132MPH, Hooked Ups 10.03@133, need I continue?

Even though that's a pretty arrogant statement, I respectfully disagree.

From what I understand, customer service seems a bit lacking to say the least. By the way, are you a supporting tuner? I thought that in order to solicit forum members for business, you had to be a supporting vendor of some sort?

Happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:21 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

I think that I was referred to by someone else, and was just referring to your comment about it needing to be a MAF system, which is not true.

As for customer service...well I answer at least 30-40 emails a week MOSTLY just guys asking me questions on which way to go with a setup. I offer each and every one my best advice - and get NOTHING in return except a thanks, which is all I ask.

I did in the last few weeks fall behind on some of the emails, due to end of the year (real) work, and my grandmothers passing.

To my knowledge I am now current with all emails and inquiries, except for the ones that just same in with in the last few days.

my comment about the times was not intended to be taken as arrogant. Just as in all my track testing or other posts I make, I always back it with real world results. That was the intent of the comment - nothing more, nothing less. I just believe in showing real results, instead of speculation.

C4396 comment to seek me out, is no different than someone saying go to Jegs or Summit to get a good deal on a set of Brodix heads. None are supporting member and being referred to by someone doesn't violate any rules. This has all been discussed before in other threads. Its no different than people using the board to seek me out for advice on their setups. People come to boards like this so they can be exposed to people that can help out.

And I hardly see many other tuners on this board -offering on a regular basis tuning advice to others and posting ways to better improve their tune. It seems a bit counter productive (from a business standpoint) for someone to give away their secrets that took 5+ years to learn.

Its the Holiday season, and I don't intend on spending it arguing over the net - Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2004, 11:41 AM
bobmic93
Melting Slicks

I think that I was referred to by someone else, and was just referring to your comment about it needing to be a MAF system, which is not true.

As for customer service...well I answer at least 30-40 emails a week MOSTLY just guys asking me questions on which way to go with a setup. I offer each and every one my best advice - and get NOTHING in return except a thanks, which is all I ask.

I did in the last few weeks fall behind on some of the emails, due to end of the year (real) work, and my grandmothers passing.

To my knowledge I am now current with all emails and inquiries, except for the ones that just same in with in the last few days.

my comment about the times was not intended to be taken as arrogant. Just as in all my track testing or other posts I make, I always back it with real world results. That was the intent of the comment - nothing more, nothing less. I just believe in showing real results, instead of speculation.

C4396 comment to seek me out, is no different than someone saying go to Jegs or Summit to get a good deal on a set of Brodix heads. None are supporting member and being referred to by someone doesn't violate any rules. This has all been discussed before in other threads. Its no different than people using the board to seek me out for advice on their setups. People come to boards like this so they can be exposed to people that can help out.

And I hardly see many other tuners on this board -offering on a regular basis tuning advice to others and posting ways to better improve their tune. It seems a bit counter productive (from a business standpoint) for someone to give away their secrets that took 5+ years to learn.

Its the Holiday season, and I don't intend on spending it arguing over the net - Merry Christmas
Ill have you know I appreciate having a guy with your expertise on the forum with us.As in the future I know I will be needing your services as I will be needing a chip burnt for my 93. My opinion from all the responses on the forum is that your very good at what you do. Have a great Christmas. Sorry to hear of your grandmother. This Christmas she's with the big man himself.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:49 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bobmic93
Ill have you know I appreciate having a guy with your expertise on the forum with us.As in the future I know I will be needing your services as I will be needing a chip burnt for my 93. My opinion from all the responses on the forum is that your very good at what you do. Have a great Christmas. Sorry to hear of your grandmother. This Christmas she's with the big man himself.
Thanks for your kind words. She was a VERY tough lady. She had lung cancer about 18 years ago which only left her with with a little over a 1/4 of a lung after they removed one completely and ~3/4 of another. She was only given a short period of time to live after the surgery, but he stayed with us insisting on continueing to live in her own home by herself for nearly MANY years past what the doctors expected. When she needed her oxygen changed - she would ask me to go get her nitrous!
Old 12-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Widebody
Racer

That makes a difference?? I have done MANY SD applications with GREAT results including my own. 10.3@132MPH, Hooked Ups 10.03@133, need I continue?

James if you need any help get in touch with me ski_dwn_it@yahoo.com

Merry Chirstmas all, be safe and hope santa brings lots of vette components.
Hey Jesse, just a quick question? I was under the impression you had changed back over to MAF. I thought the above referenced e.t. was with MAF and not speed density. That time just gave all us MAF guys hope on not switching over to SD due to airflow restriction. Best Wishes and Merry Xmas.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:27 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Widebody
Hey Jesse, just a quick question? I was under the impression you had changed back over to MAF. I thought the above referenced e.t. was with MAF and not speed density. That time just gave all us MAF guys hope on not switching over to SD due to airflow restriction. Best Wishes and Merry Xmas.
yeah thats jesse's time with the speed density. corkvette1 went even faster with the mass air i think 10.2 at 131 so theres still hope and i would keep the mass air .
Old 12-24-2004, 01:42 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Widebody.

Yeah I switched back and forth quite a bit and saw no gains to speak of with the SD over the MAF. The main reason I stuck iwth the SD system for the latter part of the season, was I planned on running a 4 valve throttle body (looks like a carb) so with the SD system, i would not have to worry about the air duct work.

Corky stuck with the MAF and ripped off 10.2 ETs (.06sec) quicker than me on the same day. But for all intense purposes the cars were dead even. His 60' times were always better which allowed him to get a little ahead of me.

I can tell you FOR sure that with the MAF tube in place, the car 60'ed better than just with the open throttle body. Did it MANY times and every time with the air duct in place, the car would 60' better. Probably do to the turbulance when you snap open the butterflys.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:13 AM
Dr_737
Instructor

Im a bit curious. When tuning a vehicle, in our case a vette, shouldnt you use a dyno. Afterall if your going to build a custom chip dont you want to know where your car's performance lies. Really, if i told you I had a 160 thermo, flow master exhaust, open air K&N filter, 52 mm tb - could you build me a chip with out seeing my cars performance on a dyno?
Old 12-25-2004, 08:21 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dr_737
Im a bit curious. When tuning a vehicle, in our case a vette, shouldnt you use a dyno. Afterall if your going to build a custom chip dont you want to know where your car's performance lies. Really, if i told you I had a 160 thermo, flow master exhaust, open air K&N filter, 52 mm tb - could you build me a chip with out seeing my cars performance on a dyno?
Dr 737,

I have a very detailed information sheet I work off of, and from years of experience I formulate the tune. I start each of the tune from a baseline virgin GM tune, and work outward from there.

As mentioned before I have done most of the heavy hitters tunes here on the forum and even have been contracted by a few of the high end vette shops to do their tunes which go in there buildups.

I have been running the same tune for my car as at the beginning of the year, hooked up is running one of mine, Ralph, Insanity, 85vet, etc. All of these guys are running low 11s to bottom 10s and none of them I used a dyno to tune to.

What I always explain is I can get you from left field to the infield with the tunes and the cars WILL run much better. But to get to home plate its best to do it in person - however I can assure you there is probably only .0X difference in ETs going from the pitchers mound to home plate. So its not really worth the extra a dyno is going to cost, and you won't be able to feel the difference, and most at the track will not be consistant enough to know either.

Here are some comments from a few recently that have pretty exotic setups and I just did their setups.:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1549247038

I enjoy the meeting of the people and working through each combo as if it were my own.

Old 12-25-2004, 09:14 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bobmic93
As in the future I know I will be needing your services as I will be needing a chip burnt for my 93.
Spoken like a true lemming. We'll see if you change your tune (no pun intended) when your car is running pig rich and is 2-3 tenths and 2-3 miles per hour slower than it could be in the quarter.

Unless you have practical experience with a tune from ski, let's try and keep the hype down to a minimum please. Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket/ Custom Chips

Old 12-25-2004, 09:27 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Ski - I'm truly sorry for your grandmothers passing. You have all my condolences. And you're right, tis the season to be merry and kind. I hope your holidays are happy and joyous .

However, I feel like I'm one of your customers who's been "lost in the mix" so to speak. Therefore, I pose a deal for you. No, wait, "deal" is not the correct term to use. I think "challenge" is an appropriate term.

I'll pay for shipping of your programmed chip to you to-and-fro and if your second chip performs better than the Ed Wright fastchip (their first tune), I'll eat crow and become your biggest fan on the forum (along with sticking my size 12 shoe in my mouth). If your second chip does not out perform the Ed Wright chip, you provide me with a complete refund of my $280.00 ($250.00 for the chip, $10.00 initial shipping and $20.00 shipping to and fro). And feel free to keep the chip at my expense so you know no one else can copy it.

Since you've been contracted by several companies to provide professional tunes for their customers and you've made countless dollars from forum members, I think it's time to step up to the plate and put your tune where your mouth is.

I'll leave it up to the forum moderators and administrator to determine whether you should become a supporting tuner or not.

What say you? Are you up to the challenge?
Old 12-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 12-25-2004, 10:02 PM
#70SM2
Racer

Originally Posted by cprgmr
Ski - I'm truly sorry for your grandmothers passing. You have all my condolences. And you're right, tis the season to be merry and kind. I hope your holidays are happy and joyous .

However, I feel like I'm one of your customers who's been "lost in the mix" so to speak. Therefore, I pose a deal for you. No, wait, "deal" is not the correct term to use. I think "challenge" is an appropriate term.

I'll pay for shipping of your programmed chip to you to-and-fro and if your second chip performs better than the Ed Wright fastchip (their first tune), I'll eat crow and become your biggest fan on the forum (along with sticking my size 12 shoe in my mouth). If your second chip does not out perform the Ed Wright chip, you provide me with a complete refund of my $280.00 ($250.00 for the chip, $10.00 initial shipping and $20.00 shipping to and fro). And feel free to keep the chip at my expense so you know no one else can copy it.

Since you've been contracted by several companies to provide professional tunes for their customers and you've made countless dollars from forum members, I think it's time to step up to the plate and put your tune where your mouth is.

I'll leave it up to the forum moderators and administrator to determine whether you should become a supporting tuner or not.

What say you? Are you up to the challenge?
You remind me of some one I met in the High school Parking Lot 30 years ago, and let walk away ..

Quick Reply: Aftermarket/ Custom Chips