C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Installing transgo in my 86 auto. I need pointers please...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 04:03 PM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Installing transgo in my 86 auto. I need pointers please...

I will be installing the Transgo Reprogramming kit into my 86 auto 700r4 tomorrow morning. Obviously not everything in this kit will be going into the trans since I am doing this while it is in car, and I am not overhauling it now. But I will be doing the valve body portion. I have some questions.

1. How easy is it to get valve body out?
2. The Transgo 700r4 reprogramming kit has many springs. Which should I use? I want a very firm shift.
3. Where does the boost valve install? I have the .500 one.
4. Where does the Low reverse boost valve install?
5. How do I install the new servos? I will include links to the servos and boost valves I have.
6. Does my trans have a auxilary valve body along with the regular valve body?
7. I noticed my reprogramming kit comes with new weights and springs for governor. Should I install these, or no?
8. Does anyone have ANY technical instructions or anything at all that would help me that can be emailed to me tonight?
9. What else should I be aware of?

Here are links to the other items I plan to install tomorrow morning along with the TransGo 700r4 reprogramming kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thanks!

Old 12-22-2004, 11:14 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It's been a long, long time since I've installed a TransGo kit and, even then it was in a Turbo 350. So I can't remember enough to answer many of your questions without running the risk of giving bad info.

The valve body is easy to drop; it's putting it back that can be a chore. The bolts, and there are quite a few of them, call for specific torque specs. I can't recall if they are different lengths, but that's something to watch for.

There are several check ***** that must be correctly placed and, if your kit is like mine, a few holes will need to be drilled oversized in the plate.

The kit I installed in my Vette was a B&M given to me. They basically install the same, but the installation instructions are a must-have item.

The B&M offered two mode of installation; I chose the hardest hitting of the two, which to my way of thinking, isn't hard enough.

My advice is to get the instructions for the kit you have and be very careful in following them to the letter. I'd never even think of doing the job without the step by step in front of me.

Hopefully someone will email them to you.

Jake
Old 12-23-2004, 12:14 AM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Anyone else?? I am doing this at 9am EST tomorrow, so I need the info ASAP. I only have the instructions that came with the reprogramming kit, but that is it. It does not seem all that clear. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2004, 12:15 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry I had a race buddy of mine that works on trans install mine and o-hull trans for 1200.00. I know he had to drill the valve body and the front pump,the drills come with the kit.The trans shifts just like a 4 speed now.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:10 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Is it the transgo shift kit with the video? (the one over 120 bucks?)
If yes you can follow the instruction and you will be fine.
About 2 years ago they updated the instructions with a better following order and detailed pics & drawing.
Follow the "automatics only" if you perform the automatic installation or the "Stick only" if you go with the full manual option.

The 86 shoulnd't have the auxiliary valve body. I think it starts from mid 87 on 700R4.
All the goodies you are installing are with instructions, so follow it.
About the need to have the superservo and the billet 4th I really don't know if you need it over youe stock corvette servo.

-Beppe-
Old 12-23-2004, 02:08 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by darkman5001
Anyone else?? I am doing this at 9am EST tomorrow, so I need the info ASAP. I only have the instructions that came with the reprogramming kit, but that is it. It does not seem all that clear. Thanks!
Don't be too anxious to get started. especially if you don't have the instructions you need. It'll be a REAL PIA to do all the work, only then to find that the trans won't shift or some other problem, meaning you'll have to tear into it again.

Try doing a google search - perhaps the TransGo Website - to see if the instructions are downloadable. Call them and see if they can fax you what you need.

I've always found it best to do my homework first, then break out the tools.

Jake
Old 12-23-2004, 02:54 PM
joe3906
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JAKE
Don't be too anxious to get started. especially if you don't have the instructions you need. It'll be a REAL PIA to do all the work, only then to find that the trans won't shift or some other problem, meaning you'll have to tear into it again.
Yep, that's me. Do the thing, and wind up with more problems than the reason I paid good money for to resolve in the first place.

Best bet is to let a professional do it. Watch if you can. LOL!

Joe B.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:52 PM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Well,bad news guys. I did it yesterday. I ran into all sorts of problems. The directions suck. In one instruction, they tell you to drill a hole to connect to fluid paths. But there is a valve installed right under where they want you to drill. They don't mention to remove it. Obviously you would have to remove it unless you don't mind metal shavings moving around inside the trans. Anyways, I remove the valve, okay no problem. I drill the holes that I needed to (3 different holes I think. They I could not get the valve to go back in right. Then one of the valve sleeves for that valve broke a small piece off. Now I looked this over well, and it seems like the small lip that broke off is just supporting another part of the valve inside. The part is called a low range control sleeve in my GM manual. I had to move my car since I was working on it at my base hobby shop, and I was already there after hours, and they would not open again for about 5 days. So I tried to make it work. I finally got it to go together as is. I moved the valve manually, and it appreared to work as it should. Then I modified sepperator plate as directions said, no problem no hard. Then came time to get ready to mount it back it. I had to place the check ***** wear they said. Well, the transgo directions say to put in three ***** for automatic shifting. But the valve body had four ***** in it origionally. So I am thinking what do I do? So I put just three check ***** like the Transgo directions said. I put it all back together, and filled the trans to the full mark on the stick. Now keep in mind, my trans was stock before these changes. I did not get a chance to put the Super 2-4 servo, the 4th gear super servo, the .500 boost valve, or the reverse boost valve in, so I just have the stock corvette servo system. I took the car for a ride. It seems like in first gear, the RPMs get higher, but the car isn't moving very good. The RPMs got pretty high before shifting to second, then go up real high RPMs again, then shift to 3rd. I could not get it to shift into 4th (overdrive.) The car does however drop into passing gear MUCH faster than before, but so far, that is the only benifit. I think it is probably slipping, and that is why it is getting such high RPMs. I looked up in my GM book under the diagnosis charts, and slippage in first gear possible could be the check ball I left out, which was the #10 checkball (coper flash) TV exhaust checkball. Keep in mind that in the directions for transgo, it said install 3 checkballs, and it even had a pic to show where. The TV Exhaust valve was NOT one of them. So what do you guys think? I can email copies of all the directions I followed, in detail. I have the stuff circled. If we have anyone on here experienced with transmissions and shift kits, then I would especially be interested in your input. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:56 PM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure this is a Trans-go kit? The one I had was fairly well documented. The other issue is: You've gotta do EVERYTHING EXACTLY as the instructions say. Just doing part will guarantee the transmission will act oddly.

But I don't recall the kit having weights and springs to adjust shift rpms...and I don't recall it having replacements for the servos. Granted, I R&R'd the valvebody and had my tranny guy do everything else, so he may have just sent me home with the valve body related parts.

Also, this doesn't seem like something you can set a timeline for the first time you do it. It'll take three times longer that first time.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:19 AM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RocketSled
Are you sure this is a Trans-go kit? The one I had was fairly well documented. The other issue is: You've gotta do EVERYTHING EXACTLY as the instructions say. Just doing part will guarantee the transmission will act oddly.

But I don't recall the kit having weights and springs to adjust shift rpms...and I don't recall it having replacements for the servos. Granted, I R&R'd the valvebody and had my tranny guy do everything else, so he may have just sent me home with the valve body related parts.

Also, this doesn't seem like something you can set a timeline for the first time you do it. It'll take three times longer that first time.

Yes, it is a TransGo Reprogramming kit. I was wrong about the governor weights. It only had some spring for the governor for manual shifts, which I didn't use because I don't want the manual shift function. The things that I thought were weights turned out to me spacer plate blockoffs. I just saw them in the same back as governor spring and assumed. The job took me about 12 hours. Now I am not sure where the problem is. I hopme someone else chimes in.

Old 12-25-2004, 03:11 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

I really hate to say it, but I knew this was going to happen. I tried to warn you; I guess I should have been more emphatic.

The modifications and the re-installation are so precise that any ONE thing not done EXACTLY correctly will cause trans problems.

Now, I doubt that anyone on the Forum can advise you on what needs to be corrected, since we can't actually see inside the trans.

As I see it you have two options: But first you need to get on Trans-Go's Tech line (I'm guessing they have one) and talk to a real person to clear up the confusing parts that are in the instructions. Even if it's not a toll-free 1-800 number, you'll need to talk to a tech rep about what you did and what needs to be done.

After that, one option is to take everything back apart and verify that all was done according to the instructions and that the parts are installed in agreement with what the Tech Rep tells you. I mean EVERYTHING, even the smallest, seemingly insignificant detail MUST be checked and verified. This'll all be up to you since it's your eyes that'll see what's what.

The second option is to try to find a local Trans-Go kit installer and take the car there. Trans-Go may have a listing of installers they refer customers to for installation since not everyone is up to the challenge of installing their kit.

I WOULDN'T use any old trans shop because I'm sure they wouldn't be familiar with the modifications called for by the Trans-Go kit. You need a shop that has been certified/approved by TRANS-GO. Because of the training the shop personnel would have had, the repairman will probably be able to immediately see the cause of the problem as soon as he drops the pan.

That's the best I can come up with. Sorry for your troubles; been there.

Jake
Old 12-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Chris_G
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Man, sorry for your problems I've been there and done that. I hope you can find a local shop to bail ya out.

Good luck,

Chris
Old 12-25-2004, 07:41 PM
LarryK 87
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transgo Install

Darkman... sorry to hear your install went so far south on ya as i am planning the exact same alterations/upgrades ( servo billits from PATC) and the trans go shift correction kit ( 87 coupe) etc. having said that i DO know that at least 2 other forum members have installed the Transgo kit, have you tried doing a search yet? i do know at least one of them ran into similar problems you are describing, and having my trans totaly rebuilt just over a 2 years ago, mine did the exact same thing straight from the shop ( and it was an A.T.R.A. shop at that, which just goes to show ya even the pros can have some problems with them) you are describing, as i understand it from the shop, and from other posts i have read here, the problems are always centered around the valves, more often than not, they are simply air locked but in some cases simply to tight in the bore ( an emory cloth and buffing may correct it), HOWEVER with that said, i can not empasize enough as one other user has posted.... get on with the tech line ASAP before you do anything else. confirm the install, also would hot hurt to even e-mail the PATC guys as well ( they where in invaluble source of information on getting my trans rebuilt to specs )

I look forward to you successfully completeing the upgrade as i am very interested in the drivability after the upgrades

a quick search produced these
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=transgo
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=transgo

Last edited by LarryK 87; 12-25-2004 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

I agree with Jake...this is not a job for an amateur to do without researching and understanding the instructions, and having enough time and patience(which it seemed you didn't have). Those trannys are sensitive already and when you go messing with the valve body without a full understanding, you headed for trouble.

You need to find the time to do it correctly. Pull the valve body back out, go over all instructions again. Make sure the holes are drilled in the correct locations and make sure have PLUGGED the correct exsisting holes. It may be a good idea to carefully pull out each valve and lay them out as they came out and clean each one. DO not use the red shop rags because the smallest amount of lint can cause one to stick. Make sure each one move freely.

Also, make sure the TV valve is not in backwards and it moves freely also.

Sorry that your having these problems....oh and another thing, don't drive anymore until you fix the problem or may be rebuilding the whole thing.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:07 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

read up well

Get notified of new replies

To Installing transgo in my 86 auto. I need pointers please...

Quick Reply: Installing transgo in my 86 auto. I need pointers please...