C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

After 11 brutal months the 383 (now 385) is now running

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 02:36 PM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default After 11 brutal months the 383 (now 385) is now running

Well, after 11 months it looks like I will be getting my baby back tomorrow. The saga began at Sebring in January where I spun a rod bearing, and it has been down ever since. Because of finances I had to think long and hard about just getting back on the road or opting for a 383 w/forged bottom end. Based on my tax return from last year I chose the 383. If I had it to do over again I would have opted for new rods, bearings and having the crank smoothed over, as everything that has transpired since has been a continuous nightmare.

I’m not even going to get into how much this has cost me as it has been staggering. I already had a head/cam car prior to the new mods and the car was a pretty good performer on a road course. It was making 351/350 to the rear wheels prior to the 383, which is now a 385, btw. Just about everything has been replaced on this car, and while we were at it we put in a 3 qt Accusump, Mocal oil cooler and a Mcleod Street Twin clutch.

The car has been at Norris Motorsports (Next Level Performance) for the last month or so getting a number of mechanical issues ironed out, as well as getting a tune/chip from Jim Smith. This after my initial engine builder got the engine back in the car. The last issue I am having is a code 36 that gets set after it runs for a little while and it looks like I will be needing another opti-spark (I am already on my 4th but have owned the car 10 years). Even with that issue they spent all day tuning the car yesterday and got some numbers that I am very happy with.

I haven’t seen the dyno chart yet but they tell me the car is making 415 rwhp/417 rwtq.

Jeff said the peak horsepower is at 6k but couldn’t remember where the peak torque figure is (between 4500 and 5000 he said). He said that it has an unbelievable flat torque curve and just pulls like a ****. I will post the dynosheet as soon as I can get it scanned in.

I believe it idles around 950rpm and is still going to be pretty streetable.

I imagine there will be a number of people doubting these numbers based on a 224/230 cam, but it has the 3100 series lobes, 113 LSA and the lift is .605/.622 w/1.6 roller rockers.

For anyone who is interested, here are the major parts we put in her:

Callies Racemaster crank - 3.75" stroke
Oliver 6" forged rods - super light series (615 gm)
JE inverted dome gas ported pistons (.040” over)
JE file fit moly rings
Clevite 77 H-Series rod bearings
Clevite 77 H-Series main bearings
4-Bolt billet caps
BLP billet front main strap
ARP main studs
ARP head bolts
Durabond cam bearings
Canton road racing pan
Canton 3/4" pickup
3 Qt Canton Accusump
Melling oil pump - 10% volume w/adjustable pressure
Mocal 25 row oil cooler
AC Delco oil pump drive shaft
McLeod Street Twin clutch w/steel SM flywheel
Racetronix fuel pump and wiring harness kit
FMS 30 lb injectors
Comp Cam grind # LT1 3192/3194 HR 113.0 (224/230)
Comp Cam double springs (977-16)
Comp Cam hydraulic roller lifters (R Series 875-16)
Chromemoly hardened pushrods
Dana/Spicer u-joints
New Waterpump
MSD GM Blaster Coil
Heated Oxygen Sensors (2)
New ECM for 92/93
Timing chain (GM OEM)
Cam sprocket (GM OEM)
Crank sprocket (Cloyes) .014 Oversized
Rear main seal (GM OEM)

I already had stage 3 heads from CNC w/TPIS headers, no cats, 3" x-pipe and 3" B&B Tri-Flow exhaust. They say it sounds awesome at WOT and I can hardly wait to get behind the wheel again.

I never thought this day would come (still hasn't come yet), but feel like I did the day I took it home from the dealership

Mike

Last edited by luvmy92; 12-17-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:46 PM
RIISITAS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice engine! Glad to hear you're almost back on the road.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:54 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Mike, it's good to see you getting your car back on the road.
I've wondered where you've been.

I have the same heads, and close to your 350ci hp/tq numbers. I'm anxious to see how these heads work with your new combination.

-Mike
Old 12-16-2004, 02:58 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

That sounds sweet. I'll but that thing's exhaust note at WOT could raise a dead man's dinkus....
Old 12-16-2004, 03:01 PM
zelement
Melting Slicks

Glad you finally have her back. I know how you feel!

Sounds like a badass motor! Good luck,

Paul
Old 12-16-2004, 03:46 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like you will have a great motor, the numbers are almost the same as my combo but we definatly went with diferent cam selections to get there, I have more duration and less lift then your combo. If it lays down the TQ they have told you the car will be down right crazy, it is hard to drive with the traction controll on or off. Off the ECM is is constant retart timing mode and with it off, well there's no traction in 1st or 2nd.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:54 PM
crheinish
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-16-2004, 04:17 PM
SupaVette
Racer

Good to hear u gonna be back on the road soon, Mine went off the road for the same reason, 2 years ago, and for the same reason it has taken me this long to get it back on the road the only plus side was that i wanted to do some more mods any way, so i know how you feel. Mine should be ready by the end of December. Good luck with new motor.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:40 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

OH MY GOSH that is one hell of an engine!!! You could put a gun to her and pull the trigger and it wouldn't leave a mark
That's bullet proooooooooof baby!!!

I'm interested in seeing the dyno numbers for this beast...please keep us posted
Old 12-16-2004, 04:57 PM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the kind remarks, guys. If anybody saw my post in the "how much for 400 chp?" thread, they know what I kind of went thru in order to get here. It was a cynical post but factual:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=966088

Mike - I'll let you know how it runs

def92 - I'll let you know if my dad catches wood when I fire her up

FD2BLK - I remember when you were putting yours together I was paying close attention to your rebuild, and was pleased to see the numbers you got.

Supavette - hang in there and it will all work out in the end.

Kwik_ta - Thanks for the nice words, but as you know, none of these cars are bulletproof. I plan on spending a lot of time on road courses and hope it holds together at least for a couple of years. You just never know when you are running it that hard. I will definitely post the dyno sheet when I have it.

Mike
Old 12-16-2004, 07:17 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Sounds awesome! I hope to be able to do another track day at Sebring, I had a blast with the one I did. Got a baby on the way and the vette is my daily driver, so i'm just trying to hold on to it for now. You will be tearing up the track for sure!
Old 12-16-2004, 07:21 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Nice Mike !! Best of Luck with it !
Old 12-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm glad to see your post... especially about the problems you had with doing the 383.... having just compleated mine (well its almost been a year now) I can relate to how much work it is.. epsecially if you build your own mtoor, program your own PCM and trouble shoot everything yourself!!! The stroker mod for the LT1 is terrific but not easy by any means.. I respect anyone who has done it and gone through these kind of problems.. probably in retrospec.. I would have left the 350 alone.. rebuilt it to be tough and added a blower.. however.. now that all the tuning issues are almost behind me.. a blown 383 is gonna be nice!
Old 12-16-2004, 09:27 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck with it man. I hope you get many trouble free years out of it after all you been thru. I'm already thinking about another cam and after my epxerience last winter you'd think i'd have learned.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:11 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Nice job Mike! Glad to see you're up and running again.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:26 PM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

Thats going be a sweet sounding engine. Glad you almost got it back. Sounds like it will be a great X-mas. Congrats Enjoy
Old 12-16-2004, 10:33 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Good to hear. Now report back to us on how awesome it is at WOT personally. Like I said I could use the motivation!

Get notified of new replies

To After 11 brutal months the 383 (now 385) is now running

Old 12-16-2004, 10:39 PM
93LT1
Pro

Mike
What is it with these bearings? I had the same issue when I only upgraded the topend. Not long after I spun the #1 rod bearing.
Glad you'll be back on the road. Sounds like your in good hands at the Norris facility.
Hank

Originally Posted by luvmy92
Well, after 11 months it looks like I will be getting my baby back tomorrow. The saga began at Sebring in January where I spun a rod bearing, and it has been down ever since. Because of finances I had to think long and hard about just getting back on the road or opting for a 383 w/forged bottom end. Based on my tax return from last year I chose the 383. If I had it to do over again I would have opted for new rods, bearings and having the crank smoothed over, as everything that has transpired since has been a continuous nightmare.

I’m not even going to get into how much this has cost me as it has been staggering. I already had a head/cam car prior to the new mods and the car was a pretty good performer on a road course. It was making 351/350 to the rear wheels prior to the 383, which is now a 385, btw. Just about everything has been replaced on this car, and while we were at it we put in a 3 qt Accusump, Mocal oil cooler and a Mcleod Street Twin clutch.

The car has been at Norris Motorsports (Next Level Performance) for the last month or so getting a number of mechanical issues ironed out, as well as getting a tune/chip from Jim Smith. This after my initial engine builder got the engine back in the car. The last issue I am having is a code 36 that gets set after it runs for a little while and it looks like I will be needing another opti-spark (I am already on my 4th but have owned the car 10 years). Even with that issue they spent all day tuning the car yesterday and got some numbers that I am very happy with.

I haven’t seen the dyno chart yet but they tell me the car is making 415 rwhp/417 rwtq.

Jeff said the peak horsepower is at 6k but couldn’t remember where the peak torque figure is (between 4500 and 5000 he said). He said that it has an unbelievable flat torque curve and just pulls like a ****. I will post the dynosheet as soon as I can get it scanned in.

I believe it idles around 950rpm and is still going to be pretty streetable.

I imagine there will be a number of people doubting these numbers based on a 224/230 cam, but it has the 3100 series lobes, 113 LSA and the lift is .605/.622 w/1.6 roller rockers.

For anyone who is interested, here are the major parts we put in her:

Callies Racemaster crank - 3.75" stroke
Oliver 6" forged rods - super light series (615 gm)
JE inverted dome gas ported pistons (.040” over)
JE file fit moly rings
Clevite 77 H-Series rod bearings
Clevite 77 H-Series main bearings
4-Bolt billet caps
BLP billet front main strap
ARP main studs
ARP head bolts
Durabond cam bearings
Canton road racing pan
Canton 3/4" pickup
3 Qt Canton Accusump
Melling oil pump - 10% volume w/adjustable pressure
Mocal 25 row oil cooler
AC Delco oil pump drive shaft
McLeod Street Twin clutch w/steel SM flywheel
Racetronix fuel pump and wiring harness kit
FMS 30 lb injectors
Comp Cam grind # LT1 3192/3194 HR 113.0 (224/230)
Comp Cam double springs (977-16)
Comp Cam hydraulic roller lifters (R Series 985-16)
Chromemoly hardened pushrods
Dana/Spicer u-joints
New Waterpump
MSD GM Blaster Coil
Heated Oxygen Sensors (2)
New ECM for 92/93
Timing chain (GM OEM)
Cam sprocket (GM OEM)
Crank sprocket (Cloyes) .014 Oversized
Rear main seal (GM OEM)

I already had stage 3 heads from CNC w/TPIS headers, no cats, 3" x-pipe and 3" B&B Tri-Flow exhaust. They say it sounds awesome at WOT and I can hardly wait to get behind the wheel again.

I never thought this day would come (still hasn't come yet), but feel like I did the day I took it home from the dealership

Mike
Old 12-17-2004, 12:59 AM
Shriker
Pro

Congrats getting it almost there again....

Very interesting cam choice and results....."I imagine there will be a number of people doubting these numbers based on a 224/230 cam, but it has the 3100 series lobes, 113 LSA and the lift is .605/.622 w/1.6 roller rockers."

Big lift with very mild duration numbers . Sounds like it is working well in that combo. I have read of a few other strokers on this board (383's and 396's) that have much more agressive duration cams but with less lift (like GM 846 or CC 306) yet have similar peak numbers.

I am sure you cant wait to go for a drive, hang in there!!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:23 AM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmy92
Comp Cam hydraulic roller lifters (R Series 985-16)
I think you got that part # wrong...875-16 are the "R" lifters. 985-16 are valve springs.

Quick Reply: After 11 brutal months the 383 (now 385) is now running