C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need to buy a distributor, help educate me

Old 11-29-2004, 11:14 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need to buy a distributor, help educate me

1990 auto

Need to buy a distributor, the whole thing (mine got toasted). How good is the stocker cause I was thinking aftermarket.

I'm probably going to try and find one on ebay because I was looking today and they are about half the price of new for slightly used setups.

What I need to know is:

-What Brand
-Specs I need or compatible model numbers
-what kind of drive gear
-what kind of electrical components

I am hoping to get a few different suggestions so it won't limit my search so much to just one model number.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2004, 11:26 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

MAM sells complete DUI 9-pin distributors with 50kV output and screw-down caps for '87-'91 Vettes for $290, which means they can be had for around $200 or so elsewhere.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:31 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

My stock distributor has gone over 175K miles and keeps on ticking. I just recentely replaced the pickup coil and ignition module. Also over time Ive replace a few caps, rotors, and the coil once. Pretty dependable if you ask me.

Art
Old 11-29-2004, 11:45 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MrRenoman
Pretty dependable if you ask me.

Art
I'll agree that the stocker is dependable, my last corvette went over 200k with the stocker. But I'm pulling the motor this winter for other reasons but while I've got it out I am contemplating beefing it up a bit and would like a distributor to perform along with what ever setup I go with. I am hoping to learn from this thread if there is any significant gain in performance/horsepower from the aftermarket distributors and ignition systems.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:53 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

The aftermarket ones are nice and all, but really they have the same things inside and accomplish the same job. The stock ones are totally fine for what they do. The 48K volt coil is overkill, the module with "extra long dwell" isn't that big of a diff, the CNC machined bodies are real nice looking, but don't improve anything.

You could very easily rebuild a dist. As long as the body and rotor shaft are straight.
A new pick up coil is $15.00 bux from GM, a new gear is around that from GM, the coil is readily found most places, as is the module, rotor and cap. That special heat sink grease for under the module is needed but alittle harder to find.
The autozone type places sell distributors in that exact way. Used bodies and shafts with new components. However they re-use the wiring that was in there, and sometimes it is old and brittle.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:23 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I noticed 0 difference with aftermarket module, coil, etc except a lighter wallet. Took it all back and put it back to stock. Don't know if this helps or not
Old 11-30-2004, 01:26 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear the difference does it come into play till you really dip into the upper rpm. Since you are running an L98, I can't see it being an issue unless you go Miniram and start reving way up. I am sure with all the Bigmouth/SR setups the stock still winds up far enough fine.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:43 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you stay with the stock L98 power band stay with the stock dist; if you plan on mods to extend the power band to say 6k RPM just install a HyperTech coil/cap/rotor for 54kV output that will fire reliably into that range.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:45 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

and what about the advantage to spread a bit more the spark plugs gap?
If this is real, this can be a good advantage to burn better the mixture... even at lower rpm.
-Beppe-
Old 11-30-2004, 12:27 PM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The stock HEI is a near bulletproof unit... My advice is unless your housing is totaly unusable, simply rebuild it with quality parts. Cap and rotors are considered consumables, so they don't really count toward replacement cost. All you need is a pickup coil and a module to rebuild (assuming the housing's good). Look at the wiring harness inside it and make sure it's not worn through (not usually an issue), and the best mod you can do to ANY HEI distributor is to shim the end play down to around .007 to .015 (stock it's near a quarter inch on some!). This is done by placing shims under the drive gear which is removed to replace the pickup coil. Put it all back together and drop it back in.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-01-2004, 07:45 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by 89 Paul in Cal
The aftermarket ones are nice and all, but really they have the same things inside and accomplish the same job. The stock ones are totally fine for what they do. The 48K volt coil is overkill, the module with "extra long dwell" isn't that big of a diff, the CNC machined bodies are real nice looking, but don't improve anything.

You could very easily rebuild a dist. As long as the body and rotor shaft are straight.
A new pick up coil is $15.00 bux from GM, a new gear is around that from GM, the coil is readily found most places, as is the module, rotor and cap. That special heat sink grease for under the module is needed but alittle harder to find.
The autozone type places sell distributors in that exact way. Used bodies and shafts with new components. However they re-use the wiring that was in there, and sometimes it is old and brittle.
You can get a tube of the dielectric grease for your ignition module at NAPA for under $2. Sometimes, new modules come with a packet in the box.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hay hz900,

I just went through the same thing a month or two ago with my 87. It seems there are tons of great distributors for cars with vacuum advance, but those for computer controlled cars are rare. I researched for weeks, making many phone calls.
The best solution I found was when I finally called D.U.I. in Memphis, TN, at (901) 396-5782.

They will custom tune a brand new distributor to your car, if you have mods like gear change, cam, etc., and get it to you for less than you can overhaul yours for. Give them a call.

Last edited by Strike3; 12-01-2004 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:48 PM
1MoorTym
Drifting

Originally Posted by 89 Paul in Cal

Both the body and shaft are available through the dealer. When I rebuilt mine, I bought new everything from the dealer.

Worked out cheaper than an aftermarket distributor - and as others have said, the stock distributor is probably as good as any aftermarket one for the rpm range it going to see.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:55 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Strike3
They will custom tune a brand new distributor to your car, if you have mods like gear change, cam, etc., and get it to you for less than you can overhaul yours for. Give them a call.
How do you "custom tune" an ECM controlled distributor??? It sounds like you just swallowed a big dose of snake oil.

RACE ON!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:37 AM
HeeHaw89
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
How do you "custom tune" an ECM controlled distributor??? It sounds like you just swallowed a big dose of snake oil.

RACE ON!!!
Yeah, sounds like
Old 12-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

My mistake. I actually bought 2 distributors. One was for my 1980 L-82... That's the one that required all my specs. The one for my 87 came with the hp module, all new wiring of course, 50K volt coil, hp cap and rotor and for less than the parts cost from GM.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:02 PM
grapidssteve
Instructor

Beware of a rebuilt distributor. I went that route on my '85 and after a year, the pick-up coil went on it and that was a bear to find. I suffered for 5-6 weeks during the summer with intermitant starting issues and trying to track this problem down sucked. Once figured out, it was only $16 to fix, but the loss of the car and the unreliability was a pain. The knowledge gained was valuable, however.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:26 PM
mash557
Burning Brakes

I'm rebuilding mine with GM parts from dealer. Also replaced all wiring and that was only an addition 20-30 bucks. (connector bodies had broken latches). Will have to look into that shimming thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Need to buy a distributor, help educate me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to buy a distributor, help educate me