C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

BIG problems with Taber's corvette dash cluster repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 05:27 PM
C4Ownr24
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default UPDATED: BIG problems with Taber's corvette dash cluster repair

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. I am sure there are also satisfied customers here on the board, so take this is as my 2c.

When I aqcuired my '85 coupe, the only thing that was wrong with it (cosmetically, at least) was a broken tach LCD. I decided to splurge and buy a rebuilt cluster (reconditioned, etc) from Corvette Parts Service, in bloomington, Indiana. Here's their website: Clicky. It took Gene Taber, the proprietor of this establishment, I'm assuming, over a week and a half to ship the cluster out. No harm no foul, i guess, i have a certain amount of patience. When the cluster finally arrived, it was a cluster out of an '87 (it had the 'upshift' light, etc.) Needless to say it did not work for my application. The displays all read gibberish. I called Gene and asked him what to do, and informed him that the displays didn't work. I did a bit of parts swapping, and got the new displays/cluster to work to some extent, at least, by using my OLD circuit board in my new cluster assy. (new lcd's, light board, etc.) The #'s on the tach still didn't work, the graph was barely functional, the whole assy. was dimmer than normal.

Gene instructed me to ship him back the new circuit board for the '87 he had sent me, along with all my old parts (my core, basically.) I did this, at a $15 expense to myself (shipping, of course.) I retained my old cluster housing and displays, and used the 'barely functional' cluster I created with old and new parts in my C4. Keep in mind at this point it has now been over a month. Gene recieved the package 2 days later, as I'd shipped it fedex. He did not even work on the board for a week, as he was 'really swamped with other jobs.' I think that is RIDICULOUS. It was his fault he shipped me out the wrong cluster, and it is his job to take care of his screw-ups before his new orders. Keep in mind that I've already PAID the $520. I asked him during that week if he could give me an estimated date for the new board to arrive, and he said "I just don't know when I can get to it." I asked him again, and is response was "Well, you've asked me the same question 3 times, and my answer isn't and won't change." Rude.

A week more passes, I get a call from Gene today, telling me that i have two options. a) he can send me a new tach display, from an '85, and I can use that in my cluster. b) i can send him back the whole cluster again, and he can rebuild my OLD board. I told him that I would choose option a, but he would have to refund some of my money due to the fact that I would still be using my old, unrebuild circuit board in the new setup. He refused. When I asked him for justification of said refusal, he simply said "I won't do that." He informed me that most of the price is for new displays. He offered up some figure like "the LCD's cost $475." So you mean to tell me he makes like $25 off of each of these clusters? Yeah right.

So now, I am stuck pulling the cluster from my vette again, and I will ship it off to him AGAIN. Some *$#*ing customer service. Just my 2c. He has also informed me that my core is "worthless." When asked why, he informed me that they were "worn out." THE OLD DISPLAY WAS BRIGHTER THAN THE NEW ONE HE SHIPPED ME. THERE WAS NO BURN-IN OR ANYTHING ON THE LCDS. God I'm frustrated.

Last edited by C4Ownr24; 12-10-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:38 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info...
Opinions of him are mixed... I'd guess about 70% satisfaction...

Back when I was having trouble with my cluseter, he was the first place I talked to (recommended by someone on here).

His email correspondence with me was rude at best: so I decided he didn't want my business or money.

I actually ended up taking my cluster to the local dealership. They mailed it away and had it reburbished for $225 ($200 basic fee, plus $25 for replacing a burnt out power supply). I have been very happy with taking that route.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems, and I hope you find a resolution. They way he's been treating you is total
Old 11-19-2004, 05:59 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey whipreck
Good info...
Opinions of him are mixed... I'd guess about 70% satisfaction...

Back when I was having trouble with my cluseter, he was the first place I talked to (recommended by someone on here).

His email correspondence with me was rude at best: so I decided he didn't want my business or money.

I actually ended up taking my cluster to the local dealership. They mailed it away and had it reburbished for $225 ($200 basic fee, plus $25 for replacing a burnt out power supply). I have been very happy with taking that route.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems, and I hope you find a resolution. They way he's been treating you is total
I had him refurbish my LCD display a few years ago (I think 3 or 4 years ago). Everything went flawlessly, but when I got the display back, my voltage was showing 3v too high. I spoke to him and he told me he had no '85s in stock and I'd have to send it back to him, he'd fix it and send it back (he said he couldn't give me a turn-around time). Back then my vette was my primary means of transportation (I refused to drive my beater car in the summer ( ) so I didn't send it back. Been workign like that since. Just recently one of my bulbs burned out, which I promptly fixed myself.

If I ever need to have it rebuilt again, I doubt I'll have him do it. He did not sound too professional over the phone to me either.

Also, considering I KNOW he is working with junked corvette displays, no NEW ones, (I opened my rebuilt one up and there are re-solders and junkyard tags, etc on the circuitboards), he is making plenty of profit per deal guaranteed, otherwise he wouldn't be doing it..
Old 11-19-2004, 10:52 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

My '86 cluster went back and forth to him 3 times, spent over 3 months in his shop. It had a thermal intermittency (went crazy when it got hot). He never did fix it, and wouldn't refund my money ("send it back..."). I noticed he kept concentrating on the top board (he semed obsessed with the power supply). I took a chance and bought a bottom board off another CF'er, replaced it myself, and it's worked fine ever since. I am however out about $300 ($195 plus 4 shipping/insurance charges).
Old 11-20-2004, 11:10 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Sorry some of you guys have had a bad experience with him-mine went very smooth and 100% satisfied. Luck of the draw I guess.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:37 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

So who is good to send a cluster to? Mine goes blank every now and then and will come back when you hit the next bump, I tried an alternate ground and will remove it and replug it incase it is a bad connection at the plug, but if the problem is inside, who is good to send it too. I have a friend that works at a Chevy dealer, so I can get the employee price there.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:15 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

That guy has been nothing but a jackazz when I've spoken with him. Arrogant son of a....
Old 11-20-2004, 04:52 PM
C4Ownr24
Racer

Does anybody know what sort of recourse I have? I DON'T want to just pull the cluster from my car again, and be forced to send it in again. I want a portion if not all of my money back. It is frustrating to me, as I've worked in the service industry (bartending, serving) my entire life and have dealt with dissastisfied customers many many times by refunding their money or making it right (if the product i sell them is unsatisfactory.) I never ask for anything for free, or my money back, but I feel that this is a case that warrants that treatment. What can I do here?
Old 11-20-2004, 05:04 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rick lambert
Sorry some of you guys have had a bad experience with him-mine went very smooth and 100% satisfied. Luck of the draw I guess.
I agree , same here, no problems.

FYI, the guy is a retired life long electrical technician, his sons own Taber Corvette Salvage.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:32 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C4Ownr24
Does anybody know what sort of recourse I have? I DON'T want to just pull the cluster from my car again, and be forced to send it in again. I want a portion if not all of my money back. It is frustrating to me, as I've worked in the service industry (bartending, serving) my entire life and have dealt with dissastisfied customers many many times by refunding their money or making it right (if the product i sell them is unsatisfactory.) I never ask for anything for free, or my money back, but I feel that this is a case that warrants that treatment. What can I do here?
Hopefully you paid with a credit card, if so I'd call them and tell them your getting azz rammed by this guy. If you paid cash/check your basically screwed unless you want to get an attorney involved..........ouch......
Old 11-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Gene Taber
1st Gear

Default Corvette Dash Cluster Service

To the 2000 or so very satisfied customers we say Thank you.
To the previous good comments published on Corvette Forum we say
Thank You.
To the person making the negative comments we will contact on Monday and make a full refund. If he will forward his partially repaired
Cluster to my shop I will complete the renovating into an 85 Cluster...no charge. Explanations are worthless at this time. I would appreciate some good vibes from our many satisfied customers. Gene Taber
Old 11-20-2004, 11:46 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Once again, my expereince went well Gene!
Old 11-21-2004, 12:14 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene Taber
Thank You.
To the person making the negative comments we will contact on Monday and make a full refund. If he will forward his partially repaired
Cluster to my shop I will complete the renovating into an 85 Cluster...no charge. Explanations are worthless at this time. I would appreciate some good vibes from our many satisfied customers. Gene Taber
I'm glad to see your making a serious effort to resolve this situation. I have no stake in this thread and don't even know the original poster, but I only ask this one question:

Shouldn't the repair have been done right the first time around?

Glad to see a vendor step up to the plate and get things in order before it got messy.

Regards
Old 11-21-2004, 12:24 AM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Can you just get the whole thing back and get a full refund? I would try to get out of this deal al togeather if someone gave me customer (Of lack of) support like this.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:27 AM
C4Ownr24
Racer

Originally Posted by Gene Taber
Thank You.
I appreciate this VERY VERY much. I look forward to speaking with you on Monday and thank you again for doing the right thing. I will keep everybody here posted on the progress of all of this.

-pablo
Old 11-21-2004, 02:53 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

His tune changed quick. I've had my cluster out twice, and it isn't any fun. Especially when you start dinkering around with the lcd panes.

Hope everything gets resolved finally, and in a timely manner.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:12 AM
hngacurv
Race Director

Glad to hear things will be made right for you. You probably would have been out of luck if you hadn't posted about the problem here.

Get notified of new replies

To BIG problems with Taber's corvette dash cluster repair

Old 11-21-2004, 10:03 AM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I just placed an order for a used part (unrelated to dashboard) with Taber a couple of days ago. I thought the price was a high but I needed the part. I guess I'll check it out thoroughly when it arrives.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:59 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Talk about a guy stepping up to the plate Gene. You know guys, sometimes communications are our worst enemy-Some times we say things meaning just the opposite the other party hears. Glad it all is working out. Thanks again Gene from me and other satisfied clientel.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:22 PM
GiDvEtTe84
Drifting

I used Gene a couple of months ago. Everything worked out great except a faulty speedo LCD. It has gotten worse since. here is a pic:

http://kaplantel.net/~ktcisg/dash/newcluster.jpg

I emailed Gene and he said he would fix the problem as i paid him in full before i even got my cluster in from him. Since My vette is a daily driver, he said he would send me an advanced replacement in which i could just swap my odometer. If i send him the cluster again I will be w/out a vehicle for a couple of weeks (again), which is unacceptable at this time. Hey Gene, can you give me an update on my situation? Thanks.

Gideon Viator - gidvette84@hotmail.com

Last edited by GiDvEtTe84; 11-21-2004 at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply: BIG problems with Taber's corvette dash cluster repair