C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Swap done; heater on all the time, and ticking? help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 05:22 AM
ClarenceT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap done; heater on all the time, and ticking? help!

Well, my "new" L98 went in, and I got the distributor in correctly, and it fired up and everything works well now.. First it leaked a little coolant from th inatke manif. but I torqued those bolts down a tad and it stopped (thank god, everything was already back in)

Now from the pass. side vavle cover, theres a pretty damn loud ticking - loose rocker I'm guessing? I'm trying not to drive it too much untill I get the willpower to pull that cover off and check it out..

Also, what's annoying and doesn't make any sense, is the fact that my heater is on all the time now. Setting it all the way down to 60 does nothing, as turning it up.. Chnaging the fan speed works, but it still blows hot air. Really annoying on the freeway as hot air keeps on coming in, and in making the car very hot. What would cause this? I hooked everything back up, and all worked just fine bef. I yanked the old motor! Are those things vacuum actuated or what? Did I get a check valve in backwards?
Old 11-13-2004, 08:54 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bad injector can make a ticking noise also. Since I see your vette is an 89-I think the door for the heater might be stuck open-someone will chime in-but I think it's operated by vacumn.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:00 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There's a 5 amp fuse protecting the return blower speed voltage signal from the blower module to the control panel. It's mounted on the firewall, to the right of the evaporator housing facing rearward, in a 1 in square plastic case. If it's blown, the blower will run at high speed and can't be controlled.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:33 PM
ClarenceT
Drifting

Its actually not the blower, that I can control.. It's all the doors and so forth, like closing off the heter core, or switching from vent to recirculate and so forth. From what I understand those are vacuum operated, but I don't really know where the lines are, it's really hard to see behind the distributor, and I really don't feel like ulling that thing out again...
Old 11-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Blue88
Instructor

I can't remember if there is a shut off valve on the heater hoses themselves but it would be work checking out. Trace the heater hoses in the engine compartment back up to where they go into the firewall/heater core. If there is a vacuum solenoid inline with either heater hose the look for the vacuum line that is supposed to attach to the top of it.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Check the vacuum line on the hot water shutoff valve.

Get notified of new replies

To Swap done; heater on all the time, and ticking? help!

Quick Reply: Swap done; heater on all the time, and ticking? help!