C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cryo/ceramic/powder coating special!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 02:12 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cryo/ceramic/powder coating special!!!

Ok guys!

I am a local metallurgist that’s offering ceramic coatings, cryo treatments and powder coatings!!!! at special prices to Corvette Forum members ONLY!!!! it is a lot cheaper than other places plus you get to talk directly with the owner, me! you will find our quality better than anywhere else!!! why buy from a non Corvette owner/enthusiast coating place. I own a 1996 auto LT1 and I love it. You will see me posting a lot on the forum to get tips and give my 2 cents. I will treat all your parts with care! What I brag about is the fact we can coat any metal bumper to bumper!
Here is a brief over view of what each is:

Powder Coating:
is a dry finishing process that uses finely ground powders of pigment and resin to coat the surface. Powder coating uses an electrostatically charged technique in which the powders are charged so that the powder particles adhere to the metal surface and are then melted and fused together in the curing process.
Since its introduction in North America almost 40 years ago, powder coating has become the fastest growing finishing technology, currently representing over 10 percent of the total industrial finishing market. More and more finishing engineers for a countless array of products have switched from liquid finishing to powder coating as a way to produce a high quality and durable finish while maximizing production, cutting costs, improving efficiency, and complying with increasingly stringent environmental regulations.
In addition to a wide range of colors and textures, an almost infinite range of properties can be built into the finish. Examples include resistance to ultra-violet rays, enhanced durability and better corrosion resistance.
Thousands of different kinds of parts and products are now powder coated. Examples include dryer drums, refrigerator liners, hospital beds, metal furniture, electrical cabinets, lighting fixtures, power saws, farm implements, curtain rods, ceiling fans, light truck bodies, engine, suspension, frame and other auto parts, motorcycle frames, bicycle frames, and on and on!

What to powder coat:
intake Valve covers Chassis wheels

Ceramic coating:
Ceramic coatings or Thermal Barrier Coatings (TBC's) are designed to reduce the movement of heat. In some instances, such as exhaust systems, you want to keep the heat within the part. In combustion chambers you want to use the heat generated by combustion to push down on the piston rather than bleed off into surrounding surfaces.
Benefits derived from Thermal Ceramic Coating when applied to your exhaust system: (1) Drop in underhood temperature (2) Corrosion Protection (3) Extend life of exhaust components (4) Great appearance, the look of chrome without staining or bluing (5) Rapid cool-down.
Being able to move and control heat is of tremendous importance. Excessive temperature can lead to metal fatigue, boiling fluids, damaging metal expansion, reduced electrical efficiency and a host of other problems. Traditionally dealing with heat has been handled either by expanding the radiating surface, constructing parts from materials that are more heat conductive and using the color black. Several Thermal Dispersant coatings are now available and when utilized in conjunction with other coatings the flow of heat can be managed to optimize engine life and performance.
What to ceramic coat:
Hedders Exhaust componets Rear differentials

Cryo Treating:
Race teams have found deep cryogenic engine processing to give them an edge on the competition. With the engine components cryoed they can save money on parts and run more on the edge without constant fear of burn down or breakdown.
The advantage that the cryogenic process brings is a significant increase in abrasive wear resistance and durability. These are accompanied by increases in tensile strength, toughness and dimensional stability coupled with the release of internal residuel stresses.
Cryogenically processed motors and othe components have less vibration, less burn downs and less distortion. Treated piston rings seal better against treated cylinder walls reducing blow-by equaling more HP and torque. Race car brake rotors see a 3-5 time life increase after cryo, resisting cracking and warping. Cryoed brake rotors also result in a much longer brake pad life.

For the non believers:
All iron and steel are alloys with carbon, chromium, molybdenum, vanadium, nickel, silicon, etc. in specific proportions. As the alloys cool from the molten state, they crystallize in particular forms depending on the alloy and cooling rate. Using a microscope, one can see the crystalline structure. To simplify slightly, the alloy and cooling rate determine the crystalline structure, and the crystalline structure ultimately determines the hardness, toughness, brittleness, etc of the part.

After the part is cooled, the crystalline structure can be modified by reheating to a specific temperature, and cooling at a specific rate (annealing, tempering, hardening) The surface can be modified by chemical treatment to modify the structure chemically (case hardening or nitriding (Tufftriding). Finally all alloys evolve their crystalline structure over time even at room temperature. Aluminum alloys do it faster than iron alloys.

Cryotreating accelerates the crystalline evolution of the alloy to the ultimate structure, which as it happens is harder than the original. (The usual technical term in iron alloys is martensite transformation into pearlite) Pearlite is a submicroscopic arrangement of Ferrite (iron) and cementite (iron carbide). The iron carbide gives hardness, and the small grain structure gives toughness. Again, this will happen over long time at room temperature, but cryotreatment accelerates and makes uniform the process. So much for tech talk. It's actually much more complex. Some alloys benefit more than others, and some parts may be adequate without treatment.

The structure can be verified microscopically. This means that cryotreatment has an objective means of measurement. (One could also do strength tests). In other words, it's not just hocus pocus. (as quoted from Tkrussel on the forum!) beautiful explaintion!

What to cryo:
Pistons / Pins / Rings Heads Jugs / Cylinders Brake Rotors

Cylinder Sleeves Spark Plugs Valves Blocks

Gears / Chain / Sprockets Camshafts Drive / Jack Shafts Springs

Transmission Clutches Crankshafts Connecting Rods

Lifters Push Rods Ring & Pinion Gears

please email Nick (my VP and Question awnsering guy he’s an awesome guy!) nickmcdeazy@yahoo.com. for all your questions!

Look were 2 honest and normal guys who love vettes! I love my job and love working with vettes.
Feel free to ask us anything. our quality and prices are second to none!!!
Specify year and engine type in email.
if you have any questions please feel free to ask!
Sean Blanton
president/owner
Cryo/Ceramic Treatings

CF members only!-
Price list: note we can only coat all metal parts!

powder coating:

air cleaner housing=$55
bareblock- $413
calipers= $44 per
car frame- $605
drive shaft- $55
heads(pair)- $330
intake manifold- $148
rearend(housing only)- $94
water pump- $39
wheels (per wheel)- $88
transmission housing- $215

Cryo:

cylinder sleeve- $12
intake manifold- $44
ring and pinion (per set)-$110
block only- $358
complete engine(disassembled)- $715
complete transmission(disassembled)- $325
rotors-44 per
cam shaft- $28
crankshaft- $132

Ceramic:

headers(long tube)(unless really long like side pipes then I will custom quote)- $198
intake manifold- $99
TPI(manifold, plenum and runners)-$148
valve covers(set)- $55
mufflers- $50
prices subect to change but most likely wont! we accept paypal.

Last edited by redbullapril23; 11-14-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:07 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

ttt
Old 11-10-2004, 05:31 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

already taking orders we do first come first serve so dont wait!

your friend
Sean
Old 11-11-2004, 12:08 AM
redbullapril23
Drifting

oh by the way MY questions guy is Zidane on the forum.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:06 AM
purplemajesty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sent ya a message yesterday on powder coating a chopper frame. Just need an estimate on the frame and sub frame.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2004, 09:29 AM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Where in ATL?
(Some call Marietta, Atlanta.)

Tell me more about your cryo process. From temp x,.. down to temp y(for how long),... then up to temp z? How fast does the temp change, ('F/min)? How big is your chamber? (Can you to a whole bat-wing?) What do you use for the chilling agent? Typical turn-around time?
Old 11-11-2004, 11:46 AM
redbullapril23
Drifting

ok brief over view. each metal reacts a slight bit different but uniformally the same. this is an example of aluminum.

step 1
the surface needs to be cleaned. we sandblast and add chemical.
step 2
aluminum surface is converted to aluminum oxide which is the ceramic coating. it penetrates only .0001 of an inch and adds only .0001 of an inch to the lumen(as previously asked).
step 3
through heat and extreme pressure(about 30k psi) the metal is made very porous.
step 4(now i hope i dont lose you) the proes are then sealed with, controlled infusion of sub-micron sized particles of high temperature, low friction fluoropolymers or other lubricating particles.
basically those "micro holes in the metal" are filled in to make the ceramic process complete. this provides for a permanent bonded surface.

so anyone who says this doesnt do anything doesnt know what they are talking about.
ceramics can withstand heats in excess of 1300f

thanks alot your friend
Sean
hope its in laymens terms.
let us know guys!

also I live buy emory and go to class at clayton state. so if you want to arrange a pick up let me know, I can do that for you!

sorry as for now we only do corvette parts.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:53 AM
jburnett
Drifting

Whose cryo equipment do you use? What's your descent rate, process time, do you post-cryo temper?
-Jeb Burnett, Pres.
Deep Freeze Cryogenics, LLC
Little Rock, AR.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:55 AM
redbullapril23
Drifting

my best friend's! he does all the work while i watch. he gives me a huge discount which i then transfer to yall.

yes we can fit batwing!
Old 11-11-2004, 11:57 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by redbullapril23
ok brief over view. each metal reacts a slight bit different but uniformally the same. this is an example of aluminum.

step 1
the surface needs to be cleaned. we sandblast and add chemical.
step 2
aluminum surface is converted to aluminum oxide which is the ceramic coating. it penetrates only .0001 of an inch and adds only .0001 of an inch to the lumen(as previously asked).
step 3
through heat and extreme pressure(about 30k psi) the metal is made very porous.
step 4(now i hope i dont lose you) the proes are then sealed with, controlled infusion of sub-micron sized particles of high temperature, low friction fluoropolymers or other lubricating particles.
basically those "micro holes in the metal" are filled in to make the ceramic process complete. this provides for a permanent bonded surface. thanks alot your friendSean .
Doesn't sound like a description of the cryo process to me.

Larry
Old 11-11-2004, 12:08 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

thats ceramic!
opps

prcess time is about 72 hrs. also yes we post temper, it takes 5 buisness days once we recieve. thanks alot guys let me know.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:10 PM
jburnett
Drifting

thats ceramic!
opps

prcess time is about 72 hrs. also yes we post temper, it takes 5 buisness days once we recieve. thanks alot guys let me know.
Whose processors do you use... We use Cryotron...
-Jeb
Old 11-11-2004, 12:19 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

we do Deep cryogenics, which is the ultra low temperature processing of materials to enhance their desired metallurgical and structural properties.we take the metal down to -320°F. These ultra cold temperatures are achieved using computer controls, a well-insulated treatment chamber and liquid nitrogen.
The entire process takes between 36 to 74 hours, depending on the weight and type of material being treated. Strict computer control and proper processing profiles assure that optimum results will be achieved with no dimensional changes or chance of thermal shock. This special process is not a surface treatment!!!! it affects the entire mass of the tool or component being treated, making it stronger throughout. This means the process keeps working even after continued use and/or numerous sharpenings. The hardness of the material treated is unaffected, while its strength is increased!!
also
The question is often raised if the (heat) tempering should be performed inside the Cryo Processor or if it should be done in a separate tempering oven(which I think he asked before). It would certainly make for a smoother running operation, if the material did not have to be transferred from one place to another. We found that there are certain considerations that did not make tempering in the cryo processor a good idea. so yes we post temper in a special oven.
any more questions?

hope i have awnsered all the questions right... i feel like im being tested looking for faults...
thanks alot your friend
Sean
Old 11-11-2004, 12:22 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

yes cryotron from canada, also another one but its new and pretty big and as my friend says the king of the warehouse!
thanks alot your friend

Sean
Old 11-11-2004, 03:02 PM
rocco16
Race Director

The hardness of the material treated is unaffected, while its strength is increased!! Sean
Something's wrong here, Sean.
Your first post stated that "hardness is increased".
Also, I have yet to see an instance where yield strength (as opposed to ultimate tensile) was increased without a comensurate increase in hardness.

All the detailed explanation about cryo that you've given only contains about 2% that directly references the cryo process, the rest is general metallurgy (and some of it is somewhat vague/misleading, I might add).
Fact is: the lower the temperatures (and, folks, cryo is sub-zero thermal process) the less permanent change will occure to a metallic substance.
While it hasn't been conclusively proven that cryo may (or may not) be beneficial to ferrous alloys, you are certainly free to 'pay your money and take your chances'.
Another fact: cryo is not a magic process; anything you can do with cryo (if there is indeed anything it does) can be done with conventional heat treating.
I work in aerospace and find it interesting that all the parts we build (aluminum, titanium, stainless steel, and nickel alloys) require conventional heat treating by specification. None require Cryo.
Larry
Old 11-11-2004, 03:25 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

wow thanks alot. you are very wrong. hardness and strength are different. hardness is how hard something feels and strength is how well it holds up to a load or pressure upon it.
example
a soap rock.
it is hard but as we know when pressure is put on it it breaks!

all metals are "hard" but some are stonger than others!
we can do ferrous and some non ferrous metals too!

also thank you for your 2 cents . since you are a metallurgist.
as for your space stuff, nothing is required to be cryogenically processed. also the types of metals and compounds you use may not be afforadable to most people. going into spaces requires the disipation of heat upon leaving and entering earth. this is not relevant at all.

as far as telling people they can watse their money hinting that its a gamble its not! the fact is that many race teams use cryogenic treating as a means for their parts to last longer and be stronger while they last. as far as vague. thats what it is. people understand better what I am saying. if its vague why dont you tell me what it is then.
i am not selling diet pills or hocus pocus this is real proven reasults!
if you dont agree... then dont buy it. but if you want your engine to last longer then protect agianst wear, friction associated corrosion, and rust.
thanks agian.
not trying to be mean but this is my buisness and you are telling people not to do buisness with me.
your friend
Sean
Old 11-11-2004, 03:49 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

will keep in mind when i do need

Get notified of new replies

To Cryo/ceramic/powder coating special!!!

Old 11-11-2004, 04:01 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

Originally Posted by comp
will keep in mind when i do need
Yes Please do if you need anything else feel free to ask!
your friend
vendor
Sean
Old 11-11-2004, 04:29 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Sean,
Who did I tell to "not do business with you". In fact, I provided another forum member, who is looking for your services, with a link to you.
I have no problems with your coatings services, either, those processes have a proven history.
What I AM saying is that some pretty incredible claims have been made (and not just by you) for the cyro process. Claims that smell a lot like snake oil and that have not been backed up by consistent, long-term results.
Again, you pays your money and you takes your chance.
I wish you the best in your business.
Realize, of course, that you ARE trying to sell something and should be expected to paint your product in the most favorable terms possible, maybe even taking some 'artistic license' along the way. We understand that.
Since I have nothing to gain or lose if someone uses the cryo process, I can be considered unbiased. My experience has to be considered just that; experience. I have no reason to embelish nor to state something that I don't believe to be true.
Support our vendors, guys.
Larry
Old 11-11-2004, 04:37 PM
redbullapril23
Drifting

ok then!
thank you
your friend
Sean Blanton

Quick Reply: Cryo/ceramic/powder coating special!!!