C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Doing the throttle body bypass, have a question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 11:51 AM
HammerDown
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Doing the throttle body bypass, have a question

On my '94, the driver's side and passenger's side coolant hoses that connect to the throttle body are connected to the main coolant lines through "T" fittings. The one on the driver's side connects to the upper radiator hoses at a "T" fitting, and the passenger's side connects at a "T" fitting in the hose coming from the coolant reservoir in front of the windshield.

Now my question is this: rather than coupling the two throttle body hoses together like most people do, I'd like to just remove those hoses alltogether and cap the outlete on the "T" fittings. What can I use to cap these fittings? Or can I buy regular ABS hose couplings to put in place of the two existing "T" fittings?

I think this would be a much cleaner execution of this mod, and would serve to eliminate about 4 feet of tubing from the engine bay.

Anyone done this?
Old 11-09-2004, 12:37 PM
VR'92
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Wouldn't that block up your heat to the heater core? Pretty sure the passenger side hose goes to the heater core. Then again I'm not sure about that either....
Old 11-09-2004, 12:40 PM
88421VETTE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't couple mine I just got a longer hose less places to have a leak
Old 11-09-2004, 12:41 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

I think the hose routing is a little different on a '92.

The passenger side hose to the throttle body just tees off of the hose running from the reservoir to the water pump.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:43 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

Originally Posted by 88421VETTE
I didn't couple mine I just got a longer hose less places to have a leak
I thought about that, but the passenger's side hose is like 3/4" i.d., and the driver's side is 1/2" i.d. I would think you'd need a coupler in there somewhere.

Last edited by HammerDown; 11-09-2004 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:58 PM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Check out the picture on my website, under simple C4 mods. You can just shorten the hose coming off the T and route it to the inlet on the passenger side cylinder head.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:21 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

Originally Posted by warren s
Check out the picture on my website, under simple C4 mods. You can just shorten the hose coming off the T and route it to the inlet on the passenger side cylinder head.
Unfortunately, the car on your website is a '95, and the hose routing is completely different from my '94.

The "T" I'm referring to is halfway along the lowest hose exiting the coolant reservoir tank that connects to the bottom of the water pump on the passenger side of the car. The other "T" is halfway along the upper radiator hose on the driver's side of the car. Yes, there are actually two short upper radiator hoses connected halfway by a "T" fitting rather than one long hose. Screwed up, yes.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:47 PM
88421VETTE
Pro

Originally Posted by HammerDown
I thought about that, but the passenger's side hose is like 3/4" i.d., and the driver's side is 1/2" i.d. I would think you'd need a coupler in there somewhere.
Your prob right my 88 has the same size hose
Old 11-09-2004, 02:25 PM
VR'92
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03

I think the hose routing is a little different on a '92.

The passenger side hose to the throttle body just tees off of the hose running from the reservoir to the water pump.

Your probably right there too. Ill have to look at that next time cause I checked mine and I think it goes right into the heater core.

Hey did you ever figure out the TB gasket stuff?

I know this sounds crazy but you think your routing on those hoses in unique cause you have manual AC/Heat system?
Old 11-09-2004, 02:49 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

Originally Posted by VictorRussell'92
Your probably right there too. Ill have to look at that next time cause I checked mine and I think it goes right into the heater core.

Hey did you ever figure out the TB gasket stuff?

I know this sounds crazy but you think your routing on those hoses in unique cause you have manual AC/Heat system?
I think the throttle body gasket kit they have at Autozone for the L98 has the gaskets for the LT1 in it too, or they are the same. I looked at one of the kits and the upper "clean air" gasket is identical to the one on my throttle body.

I don't think the hose routing has anything to do with the manual AC/Heat, it's just funky on '94 cars (maybe '93 also). If you do a parts search on the heater and radiator hoses, they are the same for all '94 cars.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:56 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Now my question is this: rather than coupling the two throttle body hoses together like most people do, I'd like to just remove those hoses alltogether and cap the outlete on the "T" fittings. What can I use to cap these fittings? Or can I buy regular ABS hose couplings to put in place of the two existing "T" fittings?

I think this would be a much cleaner execution of this mod, and would serve to eliminate about 4 feet of tubing from the engine bay.

Anyone done this?
I thought about doing the same thing, but I couldn't find anywhere to buy metal double ended hose nipples or hose splice. I didn't want to use plastic. If you can find the metal ones the right length and diameter let me know where you got them.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:10 PM
fsr402
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Right now mine are just caped off with a short hose, plug and some hose clamps. It looks like poo, so I'm going to take some aluminum that I have setting around and turn up some pieces to replace the "T" fittings. It should only take a few hours to make and polish.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:19 PM
abtanner
Intermediate

Jay:
On my '94, I got an 3/4" nipple from Ace Hardware, installed it on passenger side. Got an new top radiator hose (1995 version), the 95's do not have an "T" fitting. Very clean!
RTR(roll tide roll)
Old 11-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

On my 92, I turned the "T" on the upper radiator hose around so I could run a heater hose across the radiator shroud and coupled it to the other hose coming off the TB. Then I put rubber caps on the TB nipples. I bought that TB bypass kit and it had a fitting designed to couple the 2 different sized hoses. I even got fancy and covered the hoses with stainless.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:40 PM
VR'92
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Strick
On my 92, I turned the "T" on the upper radiator hose around so I could run a heater hose across the radiator shroud and coupled it to the other hose coming off the TB. Then I put rubber caps on the TB nipples. I bought that TB bypass kit and it had a fitting designed to couple the 2 different sized hoses. I even got fancy and covered the hoses with stainless.

I like that! Looks pretty good.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:22 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

Originally Posted by abtanner
Jay:
On my '94, I got an 3/4" nipple from Ace Hardware, installed it on passenger side. Got an new top radiator hose (1995 version), the 95's do not have an "T" fitting. Very clean!
RTR(roll tide roll)
Well, crap. That's what I should have done earlier this year when I bought two brand new upper radiator hoses!
Old 11-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone ever have a problem with TB icing after doing the bypass?

I live in a colder climate where in the spring and fall I may be driving the Vette in below freezing temps. I haven't done the bypass mod for this reason.

Get notified of new replies

To Doing the throttle body bypass, have a question

Old 11-09-2004, 06:31 PM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fsr402
Right now mine are just caped off with a short hose, plug and some hose clamps. It looks like poo, so I'm going to take some aluminum that I have setting around and turn up some pieces to replace the "T" fittings. It should only take a few hours to make and polish.
post pic's when your done
Old 11-10-2004, 04:09 PM
gab
Advanced

i have a '94 also...

I removed the T's on both passenger and driver side hoses when I did my TB-bypass. I went to OSH (hardware) and found a couple of metal sleeves that fit. I didn't use the pastic ones because I didn't like the fact that the plastic was fairly thick and so had smaller diameter hole.

One metal sleeve was already the right size and length (I think that's the bigger diameter one of the two) which, if memory serves, goes on the driver side hose; The other, for the passenger side, I found a brass sleeve about 6inches long that's used for piping, etc..The thickness was good and the hole was nice size. I merely cut that down to the length I needed.

I remembered also that the driver-side hose was too short (about an inch) to get from the tstat housing to the radiator via the new connector. I had a new radiator hose for my '94 TransAm sitting on the shelf (well, no longer have the TA) and hacked a portion of that, which seems to fit fine...

if you want pics of mine, let me know. I'll see if I can get some tonight after work.

I've also been concerned that most people that post this mod merely connected the T's together, which would allow some coolant to flow thru all the time, since this line bypasses the tstat. Logically, I couldn't see how my setup will interfere with the main cooling system so I went ahead and did it. I have a 160 tstat and programmed the PCM for it, and so far have not seen any problems with cooling, even on the hottest days.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:17 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

Originally Posted by gab
i have a '94 also...

I removed the T's on both passenger and driver side hoses when I did my TB-bypass. I went to OSH (hardware) and found a couple of metal sleeves that fit. I didn't use the pastic ones because I didn't like the fact that the plastic was fairly thick and so had smaller diameter hole.

One metal sleeve was already the right size and length (I think that's the bigger diameter one of the two) which, if memory serves, goes on the driver side hose; The other, for the passenger side, I found a brass sleeve about 6inches long that's used for piping, etc..The thickness was good and the hole was nice size. I merely cut that down to the length I needed.

I remembered also that the driver-side hose was too short (about an inch) to get from the tstat housing to the radiator via the new connector. I had a new radiator hose for my '94 TransAm sitting on the shelf (well, no longer have the TA) and hacked a portion of that, which seems to fit fine...

if you want pics of mine, let me know. I'll see if I can get some tonight after work.

I've also been concerned that most people that post this mod merely connected the T's together, which would allow some coolant to flow thru all the time, since this line bypasses the tstat. Logically, I couldn't see how my setup will interfere with the main cooling system so I went ahead and did it. I have a 160 tstat and programmed the PCM for it, and so far have not seen any problems with cooling, even on the hottest days.
Great info there, Gab. After going to a couple of parts places, I've realized I'm going to have to go the hardware store metal pipe route. Do you remember what kind of pipe (its intended use) you first tried between the two upper radiator hoses (driver's side)? I've found galvanized threaded pipe in 1 1/4" size, but it's awfully thick and heavy. Seems like you could get a short piece of steel conduit or something, rather than having to buy the 10 ft they sell at Home Depot.

Actually, I did find a couple of places that make the connectors for radiator hoses, including this place http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/1177/

But $30 for a short metal tube? I don't think so.

Here's another site:
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...plice-Kit.html

If you look at the rest of the site, they actually have the "T" fittings that come stock on our cars. Wonder where they get them?

Last edited by HammerDown; 11-10-2004 at 11:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Doing the throttle body bypass, have a question