C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Installing a LT4 hot cam.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 09:46 PM
corvette dude
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me about how much it would cost me to have a LT4 hotcam installed. If you did it yourself then how long did it take ?

Old 07-28-2001, 10:07 PM
AS84
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the middle of an LPE cam install on my 90 L98. I've had mine torn down since last monday, but it took the machinest three days to do my heads. All I have left to do is bolt the AC compressor up and put the radiator back in. It is deffinatley a time consuming and tedious job. Its a good thing that its not my only transportation! If I were to do it all over again I still would do it myself. I'm sure that it saved me around 600 dollars. I doubt the LT4 would be an easier or any harder.
Good luck

Old 07-28-2001, 10:20 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ttt, i would like some more info on this subject as well, such as any tools necessaru for the task and if there is anything major that could ben posted to note during the job ie. hints on what to remove or how to position the car etc.. dad and i are both going to do the hot cams in our cars and being mine is adaily driver i will have all work for my eads scheduled for minimum downtime. we are going to do this job ourselves because i really want the experience on it and simply because i enjoy this type of work! thanks for any info!

chris

Old 07-29-2001, 03:57 AM
OuTLaW
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

I did mine when it was easiest. When the new zz4 was fresh out of the crate..... My advise is simple since I don't know you or your mechanical capabilities or what tools you have so I leave it up to you. You'll need to make a list and check it twice, no you're not santa.. Look at where the cam is located. All the stuff in the way of that timing chain cover needs to be removed. If you're JUST doing a cam you don't need to remove the heads but need lifter retaining clips and will need to remove the rockers/pushrods. You need to remove the water pump I believe but not exactly positive on the lt4, l98 i do know. You'll need to pull the radiator out to be able to pull the cam straight out. You need gaskets to replace all the stuff you took off, permatex is NOT a new gasket. You need a puller for everything needing pulling (harmonic etc..) you'll need at the very least a 30 pack of beer. You need a whole weekend if this is your first one and maybe more if things don't go right.

Make your list and feel comfortable in your abilities, parts supplies, and tools before attempting this. You'll also find other things needing to be done along the way and you should have the time available to do the job right the first time. No hurry.

Most of all, i'd start with pops car. If you screw it up you'll still be able to drive yours to work... hehehehehehe

my .02

Good luck..

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a LT4 hot cam.

Quick Reply: Installing a LT4 hot cam.