C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Inst. Light Fuse blows when i turn on my lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 04:47 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Inst. Light Fuse blows when i turn on my lights

I dunno why, but it just started doing this. Whenever I turn on my lights (Parking or Headlights) the Instrument Lights fuse pops. My friend suggested I try a 5amp fuse instead of a 3amp, because I have upgraded the wattage of my headlights, so I tried a 5amp, and it even blew THAT one.
Any ideas on where to look for a short at? It's getting annoying to drive at night without the dash being lit up.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:19 PM
eptaylor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go too high in fuse rating and you mightl pay for it in burned wires and in extreme cases burned up car! The headlights have nothing to do with that fuse, they are on a fuseable link and breaker. Are you saying however that the headlights also go out?
Old 10-15-2004, 05:29 PM
jimswhite92
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim, I would think that the instrument lights and the headlights are on different fuses.

E-mail me with the model and I will look at the wiring diagrams.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:35 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimswhite92
Tim, I would think that the instrument lights and the headlights are on different fuses. E-mail me with the model and I will look at the wiring diagrams.
They probably ARE on different fuses, I'm just saying. You know how when you turn your headlights on, your dash lights come on. Well, when I turn my headlights on, nothing comes on. (Inst. Light Fuse pops)
Old 10-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The Inst LPS 3 Amp fuse feeds 12 volts to the bulbs to provide the background illumination for the following items when the Light Switch is on.

1) The four bulbs in the Digital Dash. As you know the Dash display is aways illuminated even when the Light Switch is off. The Sensor in the top Left corner determines the brightness of the background when the Light Switch is off.

Does the Lighting for the Dash look normal when the Light Switch is off? If it does not look normal, you can eliminate the Dash by disconnecting the two plugs and see if it still blows the fuse when you turn on the headlight switch.

2)Bulb for wiper switch background illumination
3)Bulbs for the Tell Tall Assembly (DIC) illumination
4)Header Map Light (I think that's the light in the rear view mirror if you have that).
5)Radio
6)Heater and A/C control head
7)PRND if you have an Automatic.

The 12 volt wire that goes to all of these devices is Gray in color.

From the Inst LPS fuse, the gray wire goes to a splice
S290 which is located behind the Radio.
Then it looks like 8 individual Gray wires go to the different light bulbs.

If any work has been done to any of the areas listed above that would be a good place to look for a shorted gray wire.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 10-15-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:02 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hooked on Vettes
1) The four bulbs in the Digital Dash. As you know the Dash display is aways illuminated even when the Light Switch is off. The Sensor in the top Left corner determines the brightness of the background when the Light Switch is off.
Does the Lighting for the Dash look normal when the Light Switch is off? If it does not look normal, you can eliminate the Dash by disconnecting the two plugs and see if it still blows the fuse when you turn on the headlight switch.
2)Bulb for wiper switch background illumination
3)Bulbs for the Tell Tall Assembly (DIC) illumination
4)Header Map Light (I think that's the light in the rear view mirror if you have that).
5)Radio
6)Heater and A/C control head
7)PRND if you have an Automatic.
4.)I've messed around with that before, but I thought I got it fixed, it USED to blow the same fuse...I guess I'll have to go back in to work on that.

Get notified of new replies

To Inst. Light Fuse blows when i turn on my lights

Quick Reply: Inst. Light Fuse blows when i turn on my lights