C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Front Squeeking

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 01:46 PM
hotdawg1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Squeaking

I have a 93 6speed LT-1 with 67k on the meter. I heard this squeeking coming from the front right wheel that stops when I apply the brakes. So, I figured it was time for new brakes. I went out and bought some of those ceramic ones. I put them on using the supplied hardware, backing, grease, etc.... The squeek is still there. I even went out and bought the heavy duty break quiet backing spray which is a real mess with no avail. When I took it in for an oil change, I had the guys there take a look at it, they did just as I had done before, the spun the hub looking for any contact. None of us could find anything contacting with the rotor to cause the squeek. The squeek only occurs at about 15-20 mph so we could not spin the rotor that fast to make it squeek. I am wondering if this squeeking could be from the front hub(wheel bearing) and not the rotor?

Any ideas????

Last edited by hotdawg1; 09-21-2004 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:54 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Did you replace the pin and circlip on the calpier with new units? Whoever did the front brakes on my car re-used these parts and I seem to have a lot of chatter / squeakiness. I guess they're just worn (and were probably never lubed). Anyway, that's just an idea...
-Ed
Old 09-21-2004, 07:32 AM
hotdawg1
Intermediate

I didn't replace the pin or clip but I did put a lot of grease on it before reinstalling it. It didn't seem worn and fit tightly but that doesn't mean anything I suppose. At about 15-20mph it squeak, squeak, squeak, squeaks just as if a rock was stuck in there. When I apply the brakes it stops completely. It sounds awful but no one has been able to determine what's causing it.

The rotor seems to turn freely when turned by hand and the squeaking stops when I apply the brakes so, I'm thinking it's not the hub or bearings.

This car has seen 165 on several occasions and I certainly don't want the wheel coming off at those speeds.
I do not think it's anything serious it's mostly just a nuisance when you're driving around slow cruising and it's SQUEAK, SQUEAK, SQUEAKING the whole time...

Last edited by hotdawg1; 09-21-2004 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:37 AM
JCD
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
Did you replace the pin and circlip on the calpier with new units? Whoever did the front brakes on my car re-used these parts and I seem to have a lot of chatter / squeakiness. I guess they're just worn (and were probably never lubed). Anyway, that's just an idea...
-Ed
I would recommend checking the pin and replacing it if it is worn in the slightest. I had a caliper jump the pin during a hard stop, the grinding noise that followed scared the carp out of me. Luckily the pin stayed in its grove and I was able to reinstall it and limp home.

But my pins had never been replaced, they were noticeably worn in the two contact spots, they were also corroded.

Hey, hotdawg, does it continue to squeak if it's in neutral?
Old 09-21-2004, 10:10 AM
hotdawg1
Intermediate

OK, I will try new pins and clips. I can't imagine them costing a whole lot so it couldn't hurt.

And to answer your question JCD, YES. It does it anytime I'm going above 15mph in gear or not.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Squeeking

Quick Reply: Front Squeeking