C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Getting Code 43 - Knock Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 10:51 AM
86VetteBill
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting Code 43 - Knock Sensor

What the heck is this thing really doing? Sensing for "knocking" and sending a signal to the ECM to retard the timing, right? There's a procedure in the ECM to test the knock sensor at "strt-up" and I have no problems there, but then why is this an issue when I give it a little too much gas in too low of a gear?

I know I needed to downshift or give it enough gas to allow the 4+3 to come out of OD, but if I don't.... what's going on here to set the code?

If I'm to replace the sensor, how much for the part?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:00 AM
SupaVette
Racer

Sounds like you're getting detonation at low rpm under load, and it can't retard enough :?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:02 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I've got the automatic version of this going on at:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=874729
Old 08-18-2004, 06:55 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 86VetteBill
What the heck is this thing really doing? Sensing for "knocking" and sending a signal to the ECM to retard the timing, right? There's a procedure in the ECM to test the knock sensor at "strt-up" and I have no problems there, but then why is this an issue when I give it a little too much gas in too low of a gear?

I know I needed to downshift or give it enough gas to allow the 4+3 to come out of OD, but if I don't.... what's going on here to set the code?

If I'm to replace the sensor, how much for the part?
Sometimes these things are "model year specific"!

I can tell you this, 88 and maybe other years sufferred from an Electronic spark control module that was/is overly sensitive to any noise such as headers for example.

Solution! Switch the module to NAPA ESC 312. I believe the module is on the passenger side (it is on 88's) up near the hood strut.

I got this code when the wire from the knock sensor got disconnected at the sensor itself. This could also occur if the terminal on the knock sensor or the wire was dirty or if the knock sensor itself is bad.

This sensor is looking for noise, not necessarily spark knock. Keep that in mind. Like I said, headers will set it off and so will other "noises" in the area

Just MHO

Old 08-19-2004, 08:10 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Old 08-19-2004, 08:24 AM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're setting a code 43, it means that the ECM has detected a problem in the knock sensor circuit not necessarily that you are getting retard. Could be the sensor itself or the wiring harness.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:33 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Could it be the ignition module? Also how is the connector for the setting of timing? I believe when you disconnect that, you get code 43?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:41 AM
vettefast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sensor runs about $40 dollars and simply screws into your engine. When I first got my car all my sensors were going up from overheating and this was one of the codes I received. I would hit the gas and then all of a sudden the engine would bog down like I lost 75% of my power. What happened was the sensor was defective/worn out and it was sending a false code to the ECM and the timing would lower causing the lose of power.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:04 PM
drumboytroy
Instructor

Originally Posted by SupaVette
Sounds like you're getting detonation at low rpm under load, and it can't retard enough :?

Mine was doing the same thing a few days ago. Under heavy accel it would ping no matter where my timing was. I had just got this engine back together and overlooked the throttle position sensor. I had taken it off the TB to clean it and forgot to reset the voltage on it prior to running the motor. It diddn't matter how much retard...still pingged. Finally I checked the tps voltage and it was way too low. I adjusted my voltage back up, reset base timing and she hasn't pingged since. She runs alot better too. Just something to consider.

By the way, an easy way to check your TPS voltage without buying or making a test plug is to insert 2 safety pins into the plug, (just lay it flat against the wire pointing toward the plug and it will slide right into the plug), so they make contact with the top and middle wires. Now you have easy access with a volt meter.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:37 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Getting Code 43 - Knock Sensor

Originally Posted by drumboytroy
Mine was doing the same thing a few days ago. Under heavy accel it would ping no matter where my timing was. I had just got this engine back together and overlooked the throttle position sensor. I had taken it off the TB to clean it and forgot to reset the voltage on it prior to running the motor. It diddn't matter how much retard...still pingged. Finally I checked the tps voltage and it was way too low. I adjusted my voltage back up, reset base timing and she hasn't pingged since. She runs alot better too. Just something to consider.

By the way, an easy way to check your TPS voltage without buying or making a test plug is to insert 2 safety pins into the plug, (just lay it flat against the wire pointing toward the plug and it will slide right into the plug), so they make contact with the top and middle wires. Now you have easy access with a volt meter.
Hmm...one more thing to check. I'm ever hopeful!

Old 08-20-2004, 09:27 AM
86VetteBill
Racer

Great - I'll check the TPS. I had that set prior to going into Chevy to get some things looked at and they replaced the ECM for me. They also cleaned the TB, so maybe they didn't check the TPS afterwards? I'll check (too late for the pins - I already cut away a little of the insulation on the wires! )

The sensor would set a 43 once in awhile before taking it into Chevy, but now it's too often - not every day, but more than I'd like to see it. I'll also check into pricing that knock sensor since I want to flush and replace the coolant anyway and I know I'll get a bath when I pull out that sensor from the block!
Old 08-24-2004, 01:51 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Inspect the sensor for dirt, oil and other contaminants. If its dirty, that can cause Code 43 at start-up like you're describing.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:23 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Allright, here's the answer, believe it or not. There is an ESC (electronic spark control) module on the passengerside, facing out, next to the heater motor. Find out which wire, I think it's the black one, is for ground and run another wire from the module to a good ground. This'll fix it.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:32 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

See threads:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=886445

and

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=874729

Get notified of new replies