C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Pump Relay Location in 1990?

Old 08-09-2004, 09:02 PM
decappa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Pump Relay Location in 1990?

Hi,

I've been trying to find the fuel pump relay since yesterday and I think I've narrowed it down to the area located to the left of the steering column under the instrument panel. According to a Hayes C4 book, I believe I found the turn signal flasher (a circular unit with strips of yellow tape) and assumed the relay to be nearby. Now, next to it are two relays. I looked at both and they are identical (at least according to the wiring schematic on the actual relay).

Does anyone know which relay is the fuel pump relay in relative location to the turn signal flasher? Is it the one closer to the turn signal flasher (with tan wires) or the one further away (with brown wires)?

Here's a medium size pic (~400KB)

Larger pic (~700KB)

Thanks for any help,

Ryan

Info about the car:

1990 non-ZR1 (L98) with 32k miles.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Arrest Me Red
Advanced

My GM shop manual is a bit confusing. It shows fuel pump relay #1 below the passenger side dash and refers only to that location in the index of component location. I know it's there because I have been up there working on the horn relay near it. The manual also shows a component diagram with fuel pump relay #2 where you are now. It is the left one looking forward. The circuit diagram for L-98 shows only one relay in the circuit. Further inspection of the LT-5 circuit shows the second fuel pump. Look under the passenger side for yours. It is the middle of the five relays. If you need one, I have a new spare I don't need. Just verify the part number to me.

Lou
Old 08-09-2004, 10:08 PM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

that the GM manual is a bit confusing on this. Mine for 1990 shows it to be in a relay bank below right hand side of IP and it shows 5 relays. Two from one wire harness and three from another wire harness. From left to right if your in seat facing forward and the fuel pump relay #1 is first on left. Its one of the three grouped from one harness. Then the horn relay, then rear defog relay.... Then fog lamp relay, then dome lamp relay at far right are grouped together in that order from the other wire harness. Hope this helps.

Last edited by skateparkdave; 08-09-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:33 AM
decappa
Intermediate

Ah. Thanks guys! You both gave a clear description of where it's located. Too bad I went through the wrong route. But at least it was a learning opportunity.

Anyhow, tonight, I'm going to open up the passenger side area and find the FP relay.

Arrest Me Red, thanks for the offer on the relay, but I already bought one from Autozone. I think the GM part number is 25520198 according to a previous thread. Unfortunately, there's no way to map it to an Autozone item number. Thanks for the offer nonetheless.

To both, thanks for the clarification.

Ryan
Old 08-10-2004, 09:50 AM
REW89
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 89 the fuel pump relay is located on the firewall, between the brake master cylinder and the engine.

Maybe it is different for a 90.........

Bob
Old 08-10-2004, 11:30 AM
decappa
Intermediate

Originally Posted by REW89
On my 89 the fuel pump relay is located on the firewall, between the brake master cylinder and the engine.

Bob
The funny thing is that before posting, I searched the forum and found posts that said the FP relay was located in the area you mentioned. So I spent a few hours taking the battery and the area apart trying to find it, but gave up. I later found out that the relay for '90 was located somewhere inside the cabin. Looks like they changed it around for that year (wonder why though).

But thanks for your input.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:19 PM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by REW89

Bob
Yep, it's different on 90. The location you speak of is where the AC blower motor relay and upshift relay are mounted for the 90 model.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:06 AM
decappa
Intermediate

The FP relay was located exactly where you guys said it would be (under passenger side dash). Again, thanks for your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump Relay Location in 1990?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Relay Location in 1990?