C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

abs/asr lights come on when braking ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 07:19 AM
jr20516v
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs/asr lights come on when braking ???

I have checked my manual and replaced brake pads and checked brake fluid however these lights still come on with moderate braking and it seems i dont have "full " braking [ABS seems not to be working ]
Being a 93 LTI what are the first things i should check to fix this annoying problem. Also apparently the later c4's had individual computers for ABS and ASR if that is correct where do i find the diagnostic pin so as to check codes?? Any help would be grateful as my mechanic is stumped. cheers John
Old 07-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, you said you checked the fluid, how high is the fluid level? The center part of the master cylinder is NOT the full line. There is actually a line that says MAX on the side of the reservoir but you've got to get down and look at it.

How does the pedal feel? If it's soft it could be air in the lines and you need to bleed them.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:37 PM
wmrobert
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to www.c4vettes.com/ecm.htm They have the easiest and most extensive information on how to pull codes. Hope this helps!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:37 PM
jr20516v
Heel & Toe

Thanx for your replies guys.
Nathan; i checked fluid as you say...all is correct. Pedal is normal.

WMRobert; I have tried www. c4 corvette amd it appears it only relates to pre-LT1 vettes and says after that time cars had individual
computers for ABS/ASR etc. and had to be diagnosed separately.
If that is true where are these things hidden and does it require a special testing/diagnostic device ?? This site doesnt have codes for LT1
as far as i can see. [which isnt far..something about getting old ] LOL

cheeers john
Old 07-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Ruby6spd
Melting Slicks

I had a leaky master cyclinder on my 93 that would leak ever so slightly and cause a low condition, when you would brake real hard or turn hard the low fluid level would set off the abs/asr lights.

Check for low fluid and leaks first

Get notified of new replies

To abs/asr lights come on when braking ???

Quick Reply: abs/asr lights come on when braking ???