C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

a problem probably as old as the automobile ( with IFS anyway)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 05:18 PM
ukchevybuilder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a problem probably as old as the automobile ( with IFS anyway)

Very old problem but all my old ideas don't work!

I cant do up the bottom front ball joint because the steel joint is rotating in the aluminium hub/knuckle.

I have tried jacking it up underneath to jam the joint and levering down as well.

Any suggestions?

By the way the castle nut is quite tight but they are dificult to locate here in England. Does anybody know what size it is so I can trace a replacement if I need to?

thanks for any help, at least I am now at the stage of putting the car on its wheels in my long project so it is getting more exciting - which makes the joint probelm even more frustrating!!

:blush:
Old 07-12-2004, 07:15 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Interesting! I just did this job last week and had no problem. Is the tapered bore in the knuckle in good shape? No foreign material on the stud or in the bore? Grease and oil free? I took no precautions like degreasing the parts, I just slapped them together and the stud didn't turn in the knuckle. You don't, by chance, have a washer or something else on the stud before inserting it into the knuckle to prevent the taper from properly seating, do you. I simply put a floor jack under the lower control arm, raised the weight of the car, off of the jack stand and tightened.

All the nuts are listed in the same group in my parts book and have poor descriptions. I think the nut in question is, "M14X1.5X14 slotted". Good luck, and...

RACE ON!!!

Quick Reply: a problem probably as old as the automobile ( with IFS anyway)