C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coolant problem, Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Gooseit
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Coolant problem, Please help.

While driving my 95 vette over the 4th, the low coolant light came on and I could smell antifreeze, I stopped the car and checked, but the car is not low on coolant and I find no sign of a leak. I checked all the hoses, waterpump, etc and everything in dry as a bone. I drove the car another 75 miles or so to get it home with the light coming on and off and the temp staying normal. When I get the car home I open the hood to the smell of antifreeze, but no leak and the coolant if full, any advise?
Old 07-06-2004, 09:30 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Coolant problem, Please help. (Gooseit)

If you can't see it, pressure test rad and cap.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:55 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Where did you check the coolant?? Did you open the radiator cap on the surge tank that sits above the heater fan or just check the overflow tank in the right side headlamp well?? The low coolant sensor is located in the surge tank and even if the coolant level only drops a short distance, the low coolant light will come on. Check when the engine is cool as there is a lot of pressure in the system when hot.

The have a pressure test done to find the source of the leak. And check the cap too and replace if necessary. Use a 15psi cap.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:16 AM
key_on
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your surge tank. Mine had a small crack in the lower hose fitting where it was brazed to the tank. The coolant was dripping onto the exhaust and vaporizing, so nothing ever appeared on the ground. I bought a new tank for $35 dollars and haven't had a leak since.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:43 PM
KurtK
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you ever flushed the coolant system? You may have some of the crud left over from those 'sealing tabs' that go get added when your Vette was manufactured.

I kept getting the 'Low Coolant' warning also. Last year I pulled the surge tank and the bottom had a lot of the 'sealing tab' stuff all over! It took quite a while to get all the stuff out.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Gooseit
Racer

Default Re: Coolant problem, Please help. (KurtK)

I flushed the whole cooling system last year. I pulled the overflow tank, but not the surge tank,maybe I should try and pull the surge tank.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:43 PM
frankrizzo1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gooseit.....
I too was experiencing the exact same thing in my 94....
and couldn't figure it out for the life of me.....
yes i was just a lttle low on coolant which was causing my low coolant light to come on and off intermitenly....,and in addition to that i could smell hot antifreeze in the air.....,

turned out my water pump was leaking/dripping slowly from the bottom weep hole when the engine got warm and the cooling system built up enough pressure.....

check under the hood for dried up coolant splatter marks from it dripping onto your serpintine belt and splattering it on the underside of your hood....

also of course let your enging heat up in the driveway......, while you check for leaks/drips from the bottom of the pump.....
Old 07-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Gooseit
Racer

Default Re: Coolant problem, Please help. (frankrizzo1)

Thanks for all the advise. I will take another look at it.

[Modified by Gooseit, 3:13 PM 7/6/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant problem, Please help.

Quick Reply: Coolant problem, Please help.