C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transmission Line routing for 700R with external cooler?

Old 07-02-2004, 11:49 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Transmission Line routing for 700R with external cooler?

Okay, please bare with me. I did a search and confused myself.
What is the correct way to install the cooler? Should I bypass the whole radiator? Or should I use both. If I use both, explain which line gets spliced and the routing?
SHould it (hot fluid) go to the radiator, then the cooler? If so, how. Which one goes to the radiator for cooling and which one is the return?
Old 07-03-2004, 02:05 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Transmission Line routing for 700R with external cooler? (steve40th)

IMHO the fluid should go to the radiator and then the cooler and back to the tranny. If there is doubt as too wich line supplies the fluid, take one apart and start the car. Fluid will spurt out of the one that goes to the radiator first. Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:42 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Re: Transmission Line routing for 700R with external cooler? (ANTI VENOM)

I will try the service manual first, as they may say which is the to/from lines. Tehn I will crank her up. Thanks, Steve
Old 07-03-2004, 05:33 AM
MtlSphere
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Transmission Line routing for 700R with external cooler? (steve40th)

Please post your findings! I'm putting together the parts to add a tranny cooler myself. I agree that the aux cooler should be plumbed inline with the radiator cooler; after the radiator, before the tranny. The trans temp guage should be tee'd in before the radiator to give you the most accurate reading. But which line is "to" the radiator and which is "after"? I'm reluctant to just open the lines and see which one makes the bigger mess to find out.

I have the aux cooling fan option. I'm thinking of replacing it with an after market fan or pair of fans with a higher cfm rating. Wiring should be a simple splice using the existing wiring, relay and switches. The plan is to install a tranny cooler and an engine oil cooler (vertically, fittings down) side by side and sandwich them between the new fans and the a/c condensor with a fabricated bracket. I'm all about running cool!
Old 07-03-2004, 07:28 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trans cooler spends all of four inches inside the radiator, so it doesn't matter which way you splice it. I used the bottom one to keep the process looking clean. (Trying to find a picture)

Old 07-03-2004, 01:26 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Re: Transmission Line routing for 700R with external cooler? (NoWorries)

I have a Be Cool radiator which supposedly has a larger cooler internally tha factory.
But, I just need to know which way to route it. Steve
Old 07-04-2004, 12:56 AM
eguyett1985
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Route the cooler after the radiator then back to the transmission..It will provide some degree of start up protection in the cooler weather...That's how we do it with our trans cooler kits and it works great.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:16 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Transmission Line routing for 700R with external cooler? (eguyett1985)

Evan- Any idea when your cooler kit will be ready for the LT1 cars.

Has anyone installed a tranny cooler attached to their power steering cooler?

Old 07-04-2004, 01:23 AM
eguyett1985
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Transmission Line routing for 700R with external cooler? (skeet)

Hi Steve,
I'm working on the LT-1 cars now and getting closer..I can't believe how many subtle and not-so-subtle changes there are amongst them. We had a 92 to prototype some parts on Friday and it appears we will be making the kit two ways..an econo kit where you convert the OEM P/S cooler for use as a trans cooler and our P/S cooler will bolt on the exsisting P/S cooler bracket and a complete kit with our more efficient stacked plate cooler and p/s cooler with a bracket that will also bolt right on to the exsisting bracket on the frame as well...by the way I just picked up some of the 1/2-20 I.F. to -6 fittings yesterday and they are going to allow you to put the kit on without even cutting the factory hard lines like you were concerned about. I should have some prototype parts that I can show you in the next two weeks for the 90-91's and 92-96's
Old 07-04-2004, 05:35 AM
smacko
Burning Brakes

Unless it's a NEW cooler, remember to flush it thoroughly...
Old 07-04-2004, 05:53 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Re: Transmission Line routing for 700R with external cooler? (smacko)

Upper line is going to the cooler/radiator, the lower line coming out of the tranny is the return line to the transmission. This is from the service manual.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Line routing for 700R with external cooler?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Line routing for 700R with external cooler?