C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Do I need to replace my steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 06:22 PM
jms
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to replace my steering rack?

I recently bought an '88 Coupe (Z52) that had a known power steering problem. When I asked the seller, he told me that his mechanic said to tell potential buyers that it needs a "power steering pump". It seems to suffer from the "morning sickness" syndrome where the steering is tight when the car is first started, but it usually gets much better very quickly. Today, the steering got intermittently tighter after being driven for a while. When I got home, I checked the power steering fluid. It was full, but was charcoal in color, like there were metallic particals in it. Is my rack grinding itself into oblivion? I just wanted an opinion before I decide to purchase a new rack, tie rod ends, hoses and a pump rebuild kit, and then tear it apart. Thanks!
Old 06-24-2004, 06:28 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Do I need to replace my steering rack? (jms)

Needs a rack from the sounds of it. The pumps are not alot of money. If the budget allows it is smart to change them both. At least flush out everything real well before new rack is installed.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:37 PM
nel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to replace the rack on my '87. The original wore out after about 5 years. If you're having a shop do the job for you, be sure to have them order the quicker ratio rack that came with the Z52 package. Otherwise, you'd get the one from the regular suspension (this happened to me, unfortunately).
Old 06-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I had the same deal.... flush out the fluid and put in some Lucas power steering treatment and some new fluid....It made a huge difference in my 86
Old 06-25-2004, 07:26 AM
jms
Intermediate

Default Re: Do I need to replace my steering rack? (Daffy427)

That sounds like a good idea. I mean, I know that the rack has to be replaced, but I was hoping to drive the car through the Summer before fixing it. This might sound like a dumb question, and I will certainly consult my shop manual (cheap Haynes, but still...), how do you go about flushing the PS system? I mean, if I do it, I'd like to do it right, and get as much of the old fluid/crap out as possible. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I did mine with a vac. pump ...Had to empty the res several times... My room mate(CorvettekidNC) had a way better idea... unhook the line and run the engine,pumps all the crap out quick,just have to catch it somehow....My rack even had hard spots in it and they are all gone now.. Good chance it will get you some borrowed time if it doesn't correct the problem
Old 06-25-2004, 01:14 PM
jms
Intermediate

I did mine with a vac. pump ...Had to empty the res several times... My room mate(CorvettekidNC) had a way better idea... unhook the line and run the engine,pumps all the crap out quick,just have to catch it somehow....My rack even had hard spots in it and they are all gone now.. Good chance it will get you some borrowed time if it doesn't correct the problem
I'll try both. The latter method sounds easier, but messy. Thank you guys so much for the input. If I can make it through the Summer, that would be great. Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2004, 12:03 PM
jms
Intermediate

Update:

The Lucas power steering treatment worked like a charm. It's like a different car now, with no dead spots or difficulty in the steering. This certainly bought me some time before I have to tear the old rack out. Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I had the same deal.... flush out the fluid and put in some Lucas power steering treatment and some new fluid....It made a huge difference in my 86

My 85 did the same thing along with a whine from the pump/rack. A good flush and fill a few (3-4) times over a weekend cured it. Neve had another problem for the two more years I owned it. Hopefully you dont have too much wear yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Do I need to replace my steering rack?

Quick Reply: Do I need to replace my steering rack?