C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Min Computer to purchase???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Spinman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Min Computer to purchase???

I'm currently shopping for an economy laptop that I can dedicate to running diagnostic programs (Moates & Datamaster) and perhaps some day erasing and burning chips ('90 SD).

Will I be satisfied with an old P1 computer running @ 133mhz? or should I focus on a P2 or P3 laptop? How low can I go? How much is too much?

With P1's approaching $25 - I figure it's a good deal if it will work (and if it will service OBD II cars in the future)...
Old 06-13-2004, 12:40 AM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Min Computer to purchase??? (Spinman)

You could easily find a cheap P2 laptop for $100 or so. Personally, I'd get an early P3 laptop in case you want to run Excel on some of your datalogs and do some graphing. Not too mention, there are plenty of P3 laptops out there with working batteries. If you buy that $25 unit and have to buy a $150 battery, you're better off trying to get a faster machine. You should also be able to get away with running Windows 98 or ME on the machine as opposed to 2000 or XP to save you from having to buy extra hardware.

Ron
Old 06-13-2004, 01:27 AM
kman0066
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Min Computer to purchase??? (RonRed89)

I'd get the best one you are willing to put money for that still uses a serial port. Too many problems with trying to convert USB's to serial ports with adapaters, drivers, etc. Easier just to use original equipment. I use a P2, 300 mhz, man does it run slower than poo, but it works. Got it off ebay for around $100.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:08 PM
wcb
Heel & Toe

Here is an idea. Use your main computer to do your real work on and buy something "expendable" for the Corvete. You can always transfer captured data from one computer to the other.

This is what I did...

I picked up a used Toshiba Libretto 50CT for free and snagged a couple of brand new Toshiba batteries off ebay for $15 each.

The Toshiba Libretto 50CT is a Pentium 75MHz computer. It is barely larger than a video cassette tape (8.3" x 4.5" x 1.3"). The screen is 6 inches across. It is well built and not "flimsy". Because it is so small, the screen resolution is only 640x480 but Tuner Pro, WinALDL, and the other software I have runs at that resolution without a problem.

The Libretto I picked up came with 32 MB of RAM, an 800MB hard drive and the compact (#CAB0346A) docking station. The docking station is required as it conatins the serial port.

note:
If you pick up any of the Libretto series computers and cannot get past the cmos password, let me know, I have an easy fix. Mine was password protected, that is why I picked it up for free.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:14 PM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

I use an old 133mhz Compaq to log data with DataMaster.
Then I use my desktop to run TunerCats and my burner software.

It doesn't take much speed to log data. A fifty buck 75-150mhz laptop will do fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Min Computer to purchase???

Quick Reply: Min Computer to purchase???