C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

(How To) Remove SRS (Steering Wheel) Airbag ('90)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Spinman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (How To) Remove SRS (Steering Wheel) Airbag ('90)

I'm in the process of testing the wiring of my horns (wheel switches no longer work) and need to remove the air bag from the Steering Wheel to gain access to the components in question.

Hard to see, but it appears that the bolts holding the airbag to the wheel are unique - looks to be a 5 sided head - not the standard torx bit.

Might anyone know the style and size of the bolts so that I can obtain the correct socket bit?

I've disconnected my battery for the last 24+ hours to permit the SRS capacitors to discharge - to minimize accidential firing of the bag. Reading the shop manual, it states that the wiring harness as the bottom of the steering column should be disconnected and a tool be inserted into the socket to prevent accidential firing of the system. Have I achieved the same thing by disconnecting the battery? In addition to normal cautions - is there anything else I should be concerned about when working around the air bag?

Thanks -
Old 05-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Spinman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (How To) Remove SRS (Spinman)

To answer my own question - I finally got a T-30 bit to fit the screw heads and removed the airbag. In addition to disconnecting the battery, I also removed the air bag fuse.

Quick Reply: (How To) Remove SRS (Steering Wheel) Airbag ('90)