C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Installing a Remote Keyless Entry - any ideas on how to hook it up???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 01:05 PM
zog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a Remote Keyless Entry - any ideas on how to hook it up???

I bought an aftermarket remote keyless entry kit for my 86 Vette. It is a generic model and the directions are just as generic. They talk about positive and negative triggers and a few other things I have no clue about...

If anyone has done this, I would sure appreciate any help in terms of where the wires go, what colors to use, and do I need to buy additional relays...thanks :seeya :chevy
Old 05-27-2004, 09:34 PM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Installing a Remote Keyless Entry - any ideas on how to hook it up??? (zog)

I put one (el-cheapo from JC Whitney, of all places) in my 85 when I bought it - 4 years ago. It isn't that bad, you need to get to the relay for the door lock solenoids - in the center of the dash, and something to trigger the hatch release. I hid the module for the keyless entry next to the alarm module behind the center of the dash, then ran a wire down along (underneath the cover) the console and hooked it to the hatch button that pokes into the armrest compartment - for the hatch to open with the "trunk" button on the keyless fob. I spliced into the horn circuit wires for power and ground - spliced onto the door lock relay wires right there in the dash opening - simple install, really. I can get you the wire colors from my 85 helms manual if you think you really need them - sometimes you just really need the schematic though - I don't have a way to scan anything right now, sorry.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:48 PM
BlkMagik
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Installing a Remote Keyless Entry - any ideas on how to hook it up??? (rons85)

My 85 I owned previously was already rigged with one. Then when I was test driving my 86 I asked where the keyless entry remote was, I felt a little dumb cuz I didn't realize it was aftermarket. The one on my 85' worked great though.

BTW-Nice Snow tires there Ron!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:44 PM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Installing a Remote Keyless Entry - any ideas on how to hook it up??? (BlkMagik)

Don't know if it will help or not, but I'm sending you a copy of the instruction that came with my keyless entry, maybe you can adapt some of them to your install.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:16 PM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Installing a Remote Keyless Entry - any ideas on how to hook it up??? (zog)

I'm pretty sure the relay was dropped in '86 in favor of a reversing-polarity system.
http://www.batee.com/corvette/keylessentry/index.shtml

Positive trigger just means a wire is at ground when inactive. Apply 12V to activate the trigger/device/whatever.

Negative trigger is the opposite... a wire is at 12V when inactive. Ground the wire to activate it.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:21 PM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Installing a Remote Keyless Entry - any ideas on how to hook it up??? (JasonL)

These diagrams I drew may also help if you want to interface to the stock alarm so it disarms when you press unlock. Ignore the PKE module as you don't have it on your '86; the signals simply travel right through it to the door lock motors anyways.
http://shell2.lomag.net/~jhliao/othe...interface1.jpg http://shell2.lomag.net/~jhliao/othe...interface2.jpg
Old 05-28-2004, 10:20 AM
zog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installing a Remote Keyless Entry - any ideas on how to hook it up??? (JasonL)

WOW...thanks folks for all the info and specs and diagrams...what a great network. I am off next week and this will be my 1st project (after I get through the "honey do" list)...thanks again... :seeya :cheers: :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a Remote Keyless Entry - any ideas on how to hook it up???

Quick Reply: Installing a Remote Keyless Entry - any ideas on how to hook it up???