C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 - What's a good replacement caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 07:00 PM
geezel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default L98 - What's a good replacement caliper?

What's a good replacement front brake caliper for an 86? I'm not ready to spend the $$ for a major upgrade.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:06 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: L98 - What's a good replacement caliper? (geezel)

I just replaced both my front calipers with Advanced Auto (Partsamerica.com) units. I believe they are the same ones you can get at AutoZone. But the Autozones come with a much higher core charge. The Advanced Auto Parts calipers come with a $.01 core charge. No kidding.

If you order them by 9:00 p.m., they can have them by the next morning. They go on easy, and so far, they've worked well.

:cheers:
Old 05-19-2004, 09:06 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: L98 - What's a good replacement caliper? (geezel)

If you aren't ready to spring for something like aC5 brakes, then have your calipers rebuilt or get a good quality replacements like NAPA and use a good set of high performance pads. Performance Friction PF-Z, Hawk HPS, EBC Greenstuff are all good examples of HP pads that will improve braking performance (they will dust a bit more but that's sort of a trade off with performance pads).

If you need rotors, just go with a standard replacement rotor from a place that offers a lifetime warranty replacement. If you trash them, just take 'em back! Also go with a set of stainless braided lines for a firmer pedal. I got a set of Earl's lines from Summit Racing and they were cheaper than OEM-style replacement hoses. Do a complete fluid flush using something like Castrol LMA or the Ford Motorcraft HP fluid. A good DOT4 fluid will have a higher boiling point than a standard DOT3 fluid. Add a set of Speed Bleeders so you can bleed your brakes by yourself in just a short time.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 - What's a good replacement caliper?

Quick Reply: L98 - What's a good replacement caliper?