C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I want to build a 6 speed '89 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 10:39 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Default I want to build a 6 speed '89 Vert

Just what the title says. This has been on my mind for quite some time now. After owning an '89 auto coupe for a couple of years and driving a few other Vettes with the six speed, I've decided that a triple black six speed '89 vert is for me. They are rare in six speed form. So I asked myself if it would be easier to convert a coupe to a vert or to convert an auto to a stick. Well, I'm sure that the later would be easier. So, here is my idea:

1. Buy a nice black vert (auto of course)
2. Sell my '89 Auto coupe
3. Buy an '89 six speed coupe
4. Swap parts between #1 and #3
5. Sell '89 Coupe
6. Enjoy Black 6 speed '89 Vert

It would be alot of work, but if I had both cars, surely it could be done. I'm guessing that one would swap the rear ends, transmissions, pedals, shifters, computer chips, and some wiring harness. Now this is my question:

Does anyone know if you can unplug the transmission harness from the main harness? It would be a pain to have to swap the entire engine harness, but if the transmission harness will unplug, that would be awesome. I've searched the archive and not had much luck. Has anyone done this?

Quick Reply: I want to build a 6 speed '89 Vert