C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 11:13 AM
amswak
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Removal

This weekend I am hopefully going to begin removing the engine from my 87 to swap it with a zz4. I have never pulled the engine from a vette, so any suggestions or tips on the best way to pull the engine?
Old 05-11-2004, 02:47 PM
92corvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Engine Removal (amswak)

My best tip.....get/read a manual.
Second tip....get a friend to help that knows how.

[Modified by 92corvette, 1:48 PM 5/11/2004]
Old 05-11-2004, 03:08 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming you have the big tools (cherry picker, lift, engine stand), you'll need a vast assortment of ratchets, wrenches, extensions, etc. You'll also need torque wrenches, etc for putting everything back together.

Do yourself a favor and get a digital camera so you can document every step.

Invest in some zip-loc sandwich bags and masking tape so you can store/label all the bolts/washers/connectors, etc that you'll remove.

Purchase a healthy supply of paper towels to wipe up radiator fluid with.

Purchase a helms service manual for your year (www.helminc.com) and read each section mentioned for engine assembly removal a couple of times.

Take your time and work safe - it's not a hard job, just time consuming.

Good luck! :cheers:
Old 05-11-2004, 03:59 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Default Re: Engine Removal (cprgmr)

Assuming you have the big tools (cherry picker, lift, engine stand), you'll need a vast assortment of ratchets, wrenches, extensions, etc. You'll also need torque wrenches, etc for putting everything back together.

Do yourself a favor and get a digital camera so you can document every step.

Invest in some zip-loc sandwich bags and masking tape so you can store/label all the bolts/washers/connectors, etc that you'll remove.

Purchase a healthy supply of paper towels to wipe up radiator fluid with.

Purchase a helms service manual for your year (www.helminc.com) and read each section mentioned for engine assembly removal a couple of times.

Take your time and work safe - it's not a hard job, just time consuming.

Good luck! :cheers:
:iagree: Also....Never assume you'll remember where a part or connector goes the next day.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:11 PM
amswak
Instructor

Default Re: Engine Removal (96GS#007)

I only have a cherry picker, is this still a feasable project without a lift or engine stand? lol, the closest I have to a lift is a floor jack...
Old 05-11-2004, 04:30 PM
MaddMaxx
Racer

I just pulled my motor for the first time last month in my 96. It was not very difficult. All i had was the cherry picker and a home made wood crate to put the motor on.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:33 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

I only have a cherry picker, is this still a feasable project without a lift or engine stand? lol, the closest I have to a lift is a floor jack...
You'll spend some time under the car, so at the very least, you'll want jack stands as high as they'll go (and yet safe). If you don't plan on taking the old engine apart or porting components, you shouldn't need an engine stand (but they are pretty helpful). :)
Old 05-17-2004, 01:12 PM
amswak
Instructor

Default Re: Engine Removal (cprgmr)

I wasnt able to get to work on the car last weekend. Will I have to pull the hood, radiator and all off or is there a way to avoid doing so? Also, is it possible to pull the engine and tranny out together or are there too many obstacles in the way? The transmission is going to a performance rebuild shop, so it also has to come out.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:37 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I wasnt able to get to work on the car last weekend. Will I have to pull the hood, radiator and all off or is there a way to avoid doing so? Also, is it possible to pull the engine and tranny out together or are there too many obstacles in the way? The transmission is going to a performance rebuild shop, so it also has to come out.
You don't have to remove the hood or the radiator to pull the motor. Just stick the hoist in from the side (On jacj stand and tire removed) and it will come out. I cant see how you can get the trans and motor out togeather.
This is not a good photo but it may help.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

This will give you some more pics and there is a video in there as well.
http://jef2577.tripod.com/index.html

Drop the tranny and driveshaft out. I suggest pulling the bellhousing and flywheel/flexplate as well just to make the engine a bit more easier to manage when on the hoist, plus it 'll give you a little more clearance from the the firewall.

No need to pull the hood or the radiator.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:41 PM
redfast
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Engine Removal (Jeffvette)

Its not that bad. Although I didn't keep any emmisions. So what I think is the easiest way of doing this is, lable everything( don't trust friends do it yourself and taking pics is helpfull). Keep track of all the bolts(lable) Unbolt intake and everything else around the engine. Tie the AC comp. out of the way. Once everything is unbolted take it out of the side of the car. I took the front tire's off to do this. I don't think you have to but its easyer to get to all the stuff too. If you have common sence you can do it in a long day or weekend, and it is not that bad. Unless in my case somone was there before and striped or overtightend all the bolts. I didn't use no manualls just labled everything with duct-tape and a marker. And put all the bots for the assesories in differen't bage, labled. :cheers: Good luck
Old 05-17-2004, 06:50 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

There are some guys that pull the engine and trans together, but I've only had to pull the engine by iteself from my 86.

No need to remove the hood, just work from the side of the car.

You can leave the radiator in, but since most of the coolant will be out anyway and it'll just be sitting there, why not just lift it out. Prevents the possibiity of it getting hit and damaged.

Be sure to remove the windshield wiper motor, it's easily damaged.

Jake

[Modified by JAKE, 5:51 PM 5/17/2004]
Old 05-17-2004, 08:32 PM
ben73
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Engine Removal (JAKE)

Be sure to remove the windshield wiper motor, it's easily damaged.

Jake

[Modified by JAKE, 5:51 PM 5/17/2004]
:iagree: :iagree: Been there!
Old 05-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Drop the tranny and driveshaft out. I suggest pulling the bellhousing and flywheel/flexplate as well just to make the engine a bit more easier to manage when on the hoist, plus it 'll give you a little more clearance from the the firewall.
I just did an engine R&R. Absolutely no reason to remove the transmission. especially with an automatic. Support it with your floor jack before you remove the last couple of bellhousing bolts.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:51 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Default Re: Engine Removal (Corvette Kid NC)

I just did an engine R&R. Absolutely no reason to remove the transmission. especially with an automatic. Support it with your floor jack before you remove the last couple of bellhousing bolts.
He stated the tranny is coming out for work as well. Break it up into two seperate jobs. It's easier.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:54 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

He stated the tranny is coming out for work as well. Break it up into two seperate jobs. It's easier.
:iagree: If I ever had to pull BOTH, I'd pull them separately.

Jake
Old 05-17-2004, 10:57 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

One thing I have found on the C4s is removing the motor mounts from the block and sliding them out (Once the motor is supported by the lift) helps prevent the wiper motor from being damaged. It really gives you the extra clearance needed to get the motor out and it only takes about five min. (Three bolts each side)

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Removal

Old 05-17-2004, 11:10 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Missed that, yes I too would separate them before pulling them both out then.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

A little thing that happened to me. When you raise the front onto jack stands, check and make sure the the cherry picker's boom can be centered on the motor. My jack stand ended up EXACTLY where the cherry picker front leg needed to be.

The main problem was that I had my floor jack supporting the tranny at the time and no other way to lift the car to move the jack stand. I ended up lifting the car with the cherry picker strapped to the front cross member. A real PIA at an inoppurtune time.

Probably a one in million thing but will only take you a few seconds to check.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:23 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Engine Removal (RainDelay)

A little thing that happened to me. When you raise the front onto jack stands, check and make sure the the cherry picker's boom can be centered on the motor. My jack stand ended up EXACTLY where the cherry picker front leg needed to be.

The main problem was that I had my floor jack supporting the tranny at the time and no other way to lift the car to move the jack stand. I ended up lifting the car with the cherry picker strapped to the front cross member. A real PIA at an inoppurtune time.

Probably a one in million thing but will only take you a few seconds to check.
At least two in a million, I've done such things too. Good point.

Quick Reply: Engine Removal