C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Security system lock-out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Ben64FI
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security system lock-out?

Our new pirchase, a 86 Coupe with Greenwood Body Package, decided not to start this morning. Three days after getting it home. I remember looking at all the paper work and this has been a problem before. The seller said to take the battery cables off, hold them toghther for a few seconda and it would re-set the system. Sure enough, that worked. But why did it not crank to start with? Everything worked, except it would not crank.
Any input would be greatly appreciated

Ben@dsl-only.net
Old 05-06-2004, 12:29 PM
87NassauBlue
Racer

Default Re: Security system lock-out? (Ben64FI)

I don't know about the guy you bought your car from. Most likely, the time he spent goofing around with the battery gave the Vats system enough time to reset. If he would have just waited, it would have accomplished the same thing. It does sound like you tripped your vats system. It sounds like you mean that all acessories work except the starter motor. There is a resistor pellet in your key that makes some contacts on your ignition switch. There are I think, 12 resistor values, or codes for the keys. If the car doesn't read the correct resistance, it will trigger the vats and disable the starter. I can't remember exactly how long it takes to reset, it is either 3 or 5 minutes seems like. You have to wait that interval without trying to start the car. If your key makes contact properly the next time after a reset the starter will start the engine. There are updated keys and ignition switches. The original key has a brass contact, the updated is stainless steel. You can install the updates or bypass the system. To bypass the system you can measure the resistor value of the key and go to radio shack and get a 1/4 watt resistor that is close to the value of the key and install it in the vats plug that is below the steering column. You have to take off the lower panels to get to it. If I remember correctly, it is a small plug with two yellow wires on it. This can be frustrating, Good luck ;)
Old 05-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Ben64FI
Instructor

Default Re: Security system lock-out? (87NassauBlue)

Thanks for the input.
I think I will do the by-pass thing

Old 05-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Jloshotz
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Security system lock-out? (Ben64FI)

Ben,
I had this problem once. What i did was Grab a can of contact cleaner with a straw, shot it into the ign cylinder, a little on the key. Ran it in and out of the cylinder a dozen times rapidly to help clean in there, and it never happened again. Hope this helps...

:thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Security system lock-out?

Quick Reply: Security system lock-out?