C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 01:12 AM
ethan1321
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electrical issues

How is everyone enjoying this first part of Spring? A nagging problem I found with my car after I bought it has reared its ugly head bad enough that I finally have to address it. A previous owner felt the need to cut I think just about every wire in the car and splice it back together to install an after market alarm and radio. Anyway the radio quit the other day out of the blue and after some investigation the clock 12 volt power wire only has .5 volts on it. Can somebody recommend a good wiring diagram for an 88 and where to get it at, so I can try and piece this mess back together.

Thanks,
Ethan
Old 05-03-2004, 01:23 AM
Q1KSLVR
Drifting

Default Re: Electrical issues (ethan1321)

Spring means we have to run the A/C in the house and cars all the time now!

The factory manuals are the best way to diagnose problems and repair them. :thumbs:
Old 05-03-2004, 01:34 AM
loflyin
Instructor

Go ahead and get the factory manual. It has all of the intricate wiring diagrams and then has diagrams to show where connectors and components are. Goes into depth about problems that you will have in the future. Oh, you haven't had them yet? Trust me, you will. Got my manual at Helm.com. It's gonna run you about $100 with shipping. Worth every penny and then some!

Now, was the original stereo Bose? This makes a difference. On my 86 the on/off power wire is yellow. Illumination wire is brown (may not be used with your aftermarket unit). There is a black ground. There is a pink wire for power antenna and another pink one for the Bose amplifier relay (if you have this). There are two wires alone on a connector, pink and gray. The pink is your constant power for station memory/clock. Then there are the standard color coded speaker wires (GM). Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:47 AM
ethan1321
Instructor

Default Re: Electrical issues (loflyin)

Thanks for the help. I will look at Helm.com for the manual. The car when I bought it had the factory Bose radio in it, how I discovered the mess was I put just a simple CD player in-place of the Bose and noticed the factory wiring plugs had been spliced back into place. The front speakers have never worked and the back are backwards, ie you change the balance to the left and the right one gets louder. So as you can see I have my work cut out for me. The reason I'm tearing into it now is a couple of days ago I pulled into the gas station and the radio was working and when I started the car up to leave the radio went blank. Well I found the 10 amp tail light fuse blown and thought maybe I would get lucky and just be able to change the fuse, well the tail lights now work fine but no luck with the radio. That is how I found I only have .5 volts on the constant 12 volt wire.

Ethan
Old 05-03-2004, 08:20 AM
jimswhite92
Racer

I've probably got a diagram for the 88. I'll check tonight when I get home.

Jim
Old 05-03-2004, 12:27 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Buy the electrical service supplement.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:09 PM
loflyin
Instructor

Default Re: Electrical issues (jfb)

The supplement (ST-364-86S) was included with my manual. Oh, and let me correct the web address: that's helminc.com
Old 05-03-2004, 08:35 PM
ethan1321
Instructor

Default Re: Electrical issues (loflyin)

Thanks for the help guys, I didn't you could still get the factory repair manual. I'll probably kick myself for waiting this long.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical issues

Quick Reply: Electrical issues