C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help!! only sometimes does my Compressor get a 12v and kicks on.. WHY ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 08:20 PM
madquake
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! only sometimes does my Compressor get a 12v and kicks on.. WHY ??

As stated only sometimes does it get power up at the compressor and is able to kick on .... when it does get power it kicks on and works perfect...
IS there a module or a relay of some kind to look into or test ???
If so where ??????!!!!

I'm thinking of runnining a seprate wire to by pass whatever is the problem is to it ... IDEAS ??? is that Good ... BAD ???

GRRR :banghead: The little things that this car does to me is killing me!!!

Defintely a love\hate relationship!!!

Mark A.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:16 PM
87NassauBlue
Racer

Default Re: Help!! only sometimes does my Compressor get a 12v and kicks on.. WHY ?? (madquake)

There is a pressure switch on the evaporator side of your ac. When the evaporator pressure, drops below a level, it will shut off the compressor. This could be normal as the pressure drops as the evaporator cools off. It could also be a sign that you are low on freon. If your ac is not cooling properly, this could be your problem. Don't rewire your compressor, you could cause yourself bigger problems.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:35 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Help!! only sometimes does my Compressor get a 12v and kicks on.. WHY ?? (madquake)

Agree with above - compressor is controlled by the PCM which grounds a relay to engergize the clutch coil. You can follow the wiring to find the relay, but your problem sounds like the charge is too low. May be a trouble code (9 I believe is low gas and the PCM gets it's signal from a another pressure switch - different then the one previously described) - is the LED blinking? Have it pressure checked. Most a/c shops should be doing it for only a few bucks right now - or purchase a manifold gauge set and check it yourself.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:44 AM
madquake
Pro

Default Re: Help!! only sometimes does my Compressor get a 12v and kicks on.. WHY ?? (SunCr)

ok guys thanks so much for your responses!!!

We filled the system with Freon since it was indeed LOW ... still not cutting on ... Over by the coolant resorvior where theres a plug and plugs to a module of some kind ... I get power there with the test light but the wires disapear into the harness behind the engine and comes back out to the compressor where it doesn't have power!!!

HELP guys ... hope this helps too ...

Mark A.

Old 05-03-2004, 01:51 AM
madquake
Pro

Default Re: Help!! only sometimes does my Compressor get a 12v and kicks on.. WHY ?? (87NassauBlue)

There is a pressure switch on the evaporator side of your ac. When the evaporator pressure, drops below a level, it will shut off the compressor. This could be normal as the pressure drops as the evaporator cools off. It could also be a sign that you are low on freon. If your ac is not cooling properly, this could be your problem. Don't rewire your compressor, you could cause yourself bigger problems.

Will this "LOW LEVEL" of preasure in the Freon cause the power lead that turns on the compressor not be "Hot" anymore???

It actually cuts on everyonce in a while ... then cuts off after a few seconds... in other words
the power lead that turns on the Compressor gets hot for a second or so everyonce in while and then goes dead !!

Something that hooks to that lead is making it do that in between the plug by the water res. and the compressor iutself ....

Again thanks for the help!!!!

Mark A.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:00 AM
madquake
Pro

Default Re: Help!! only sometimes does my Compressor get a 12v and kicks on.. WHY ?? (SunCr)

Agree with above - compressor is controlled by the PCM which grounds a relay to engergize the clutch coil. You can follow the wiring to find the relay, but your problem sounds like the charge is too low. May be a trouble code (9 I believe is low gas and the PCM gets it's signal from a another pressure switch - different then the one previously described) - is the LED blinking? Have it pressure checked. Most a/c shops should be doing it for only a few bucks right now - or purchase a manifold gauge set and check it yourself.
If indeed the problem was the fact it was Low on charge and its what caused it ... which could be the problem ... I just filled the system to the right level.
Is there a reset button ... should it have started working on its own again... its still doing it now despite the fact its charge is good now.

Where is this PCM what does PCM stand for ??? wheres the relay ???

I followed the wiring I tell you that wiring disapears into the harness behind the engine and since I have no idea what I'm looking for ... Shees !!!!

I also have no LED blinking of any kind on the dash???....

what LED ???

I have a 93 Vette ...

Thanks again!!!

Mark A.

Old 05-03-2004, 08:15 AM
jimswhite92
Racer

On my 92 when low freon was detected (Code 9 i think) the electronics shut down the compressor so it wouldn't destroy itself.

TO reset - Disconnect neg. battery terminal for one minute.

Curious - How did you charge the system without the compressor running ??

Jim
Old 05-03-2004, 09:58 AM
madquake
Pro

Default Re: Help!! only sometimes does my Compressor get a 12v and kicks on.. WHY ?? (jimswhite92)

On my 92 when low freon was detected (Code 9 i think) the electronics shut down the compressor so it wouldn't destroy itself.

TO reset - Disconnect neg. battery terminal for one minute.

Curious - How did you charge the system without the compressor running ??

Jim
Wow Jim Thats an excellent question!!!

I suspected that the system would shut down for safety purposes if it were low... I also thought I read about it somewhere on here... So we were in a delima .. ok GREAT!!! so its shut down the compressor for safety and it should be good... but now how do we kick the compressor back on so we can charge the darn thing??

so we ran a positive lead to the compressors power lead to kick it on and charged it .... Now its full .. Was the right thing to do ???? 2 run a lead to it ?? Now still no kick on on its own ....

so Is this where I'm at now ??

Disconnect the negative to reset the PC on the car and it should work normal again???

Again with the lead ran the AC blows cold and all is normal!!!
but I don't wanna fudge something up with the shortcut.... I want it to be normal!!

Thanks to all !!!!

Mark A.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:02 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Your on the right track - on '90 and up, once the code is set, the compressor isn't going to run. Disconnect the battery to clear it. Jumper the low pressure switch at the evaporator and charge it up.

Get notified of new replies

To Help!! only sometimes does my Compressor get a 12v and kicks on.. WHY ??

Quick Reply: Help!! only sometimes does my Compressor get a 12v and kicks on.. WHY ??