C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

help! i am replacing spark plugs + wires on my 94C4

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 01:09 PM
boonie2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! i am replacing spark plugs + wires on my 94C4

Iam in the process of replaceing both spark plugs + wires, i plan on using taylor 8mm wires(summit $51.00) autolite double plantium spark plugs. but i inderstand that replacing these items is a real PITA.
Having said that is the job any easier if i get underneath the car to replace these items? where can i find step by step instructions on C4 spark plug + wires replacement instructions?
to complete this job will i need any special tools?
Also anyone who has done this job and has a opinion or suggestion on how to do it their comments you be very appericated.
thanks boonie
Old 04-26-2004, 01:27 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: help! i am replacing spark plugs + wires on my 94C4 (boonie2)

a few hints:

1) get some LONG extenstions and swivel socket adaptors

2) you will need to use a 3/4" (I think that's what fits) wrench directly on the socket to remove some of the rearward plugs.

3) use dielectric grease... it will make removal that much easier.

4) remove the inner fender skirts... they will help you get better angles on the plugs. also, loosen the ASR motor... that will buy you some room.

thats about all I can think of...
Old 04-26-2004, 01:35 PM
YLO Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

For the plugs:

1. Definately remove the front wheels and the front inner fenders. That way it is almost a straight shot to the plugs (more or less ;) ).

2. Have several extensions and at least one swivel socket.

3. Anti-seize on the plug threads.

4. Di-electric grease on the head and inside the plug wire boot.

Wires:

1. If you don't plan on removing the waterpump (which I doubt you do), the best way to get the boots off the Opti is from underneath the car. Crawl underneath the reach up the front of the oil pan and there will be the plugs going into the Opti. It is done moreso by feel rather than sight. That said, be sure to connect the correct wires to the proper location on the Opti or it will run like crap and misfire!

2. It is a tight fit to thread the new wires through the alternator bracket. Try one at a time, working slowly but forcefully, and the boots will fit through.

3. This is a time-consuming job. Allow many hours and don't get frustrated. Take a break if something isn't working and go at it again after you've cooled down. Last thing you want to do is break something. Good luck! :cheers:
Old 04-26-2004, 01:42 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The passenger side wires you can see and reach below the power steering pump. The driver side wires are tougher. To get them in and out of the opti you need to do something that's not in the book. Take off the serpentine belt and remove the belt tensioner from the engine (1 bolt). Then remove the idler pulley that is below the alternator and A/C compressor (1 bolt). With this idler pulley out of the way you can get your hand in to pull and replace the wire in the opti coming from the front. You can see it from below and behind but I could not get enough strength applied to do the job from there. You will need to eyeball it from there to get them in in the right order.

It's not that hard to get the two pulleys I mentioned off, it's much harder to grunt and never get the wires on if you don't do it this way. Be very careful to get them replaced in the right order, it's a bitch to go back after the engine is buttoned up.

[Modified by FELNGR8, 12:44 PM 4/26/2004]

[Modified by FELNGR8, 12:46 PM 4/26/2004]
Old 04-26-2004, 01:50 PM
GS919
Pro

Using a short piece of rubber fuel line or equivalent over the end of the new plug aids in getting the plug started and helps to prevent cross threading. I also loosened the power steering pulley when threading the wires to the opti, gave me more room. Keep the wires labeled so you connect them all properly. Prepare for cut up hands and work on your swear word vocabulary! :lol:
Old 04-26-2004, 02:03 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: help! i am replacing spark plugs + wires on my 94C4 (GS919)

Get a beer or two..its easier that way :cheers: then do your plugs and wires...and yes' you'll need to do the wires from under the Vette. :lol: ...and we all know a "94" is a C4 :rolleyes: ..you can just put "94" the next time you come on here....we're not a bunch of noobs..and we don't hang out in the C5 section :lol: :lol:
Old 04-26-2004, 02:39 PM
smokeyburnouts
Burning Brakes

IM me and let me know how it goes...maybe u saw that i posted a similar thread on whether to pay my shop $150 (plugs included) to do the plugs, or me doing it myself...i still havent done it yet..so let me know how it goes. :thumbs:
Old 04-26-2004, 03:07 PM
VAHROOM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: help! i am replacing spark plugs + wires on my 94C4 (smokeyburnouts)

I did plugs on the 96 this weekend and it only took about an hour and I have headers. I also did it with the wheels and fenders on. Remove the ASR motor and loosend the AC bracket on the compressor and removed the exhaust manifold end of the bracket. The little wireloom goodies come off easily and I reccomend removing them while you do your stuff. They go back on just as easily. The main thing is patience.

I used a short piece of tubing to slip on the end of the plug to help get them started. A swivel 5/8 plug socket is your friend. Oh yeah a retrieval magnet is your buddy also.

The wires are a different story. If you have some one help you it does cut down on time. Get the car up in the air a bit. One person on top and one under is a BIG help. I helped a friend and it took 2 hours on his 95. May I add it was a MAJOR pain. At least I was under the car laying down.

http://shbox.com/1/opti.jpg Hope this link helps.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Gar
Racer

Default Re: help! i am replacing spark plugs + wires on my 94C4 (VAHROOM)

:iagree: :yesnod: I'm with Vahroom on this one on my 95 it took me 15 min. or so to change the first seven plugs and about forty five min. to do the last one on the pass. side rear next to heater. I did it basicaly the same way as Vahroom. Wires looks like a fun little project..... I gotta do it soon. :jester

[Modified by Gar, 6:46 PM 4/26/2004]
Old 04-27-2004, 03:53 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: help! i am replacing spark plugs + wires on my 94C4 (Gar)

I have a 1994 lt1 want to know the truth about changing wires and plugs it is easy forget all you have read here. this is step by step
1 .remove the fan belt and both pullys from the front of the engine.
2 .remove the asr from the drivers side fender 3 bolts and the unit will be out of your way.
3.get a snap on 5/8 swivel spark plug socket from the snap on man and put black electrical tape around the swivel part so it will stay where you want it.
4 buy a long handle 3/8 drive 30 degree ratchet from napa auto supply and one 3/8 extention one inch long.
5.you may need to pull the alt also so you need the right size torque bolt bit for that I forget the size.that is only for the wires.
be careful when you disconect the alt if you crack the plug in for the alt napa has another for $35.00 what a waste of money take your time.
6.Choose the number of cuss words it will take to do the jobe and go for it .

I change my plugs once every 3 weeks so put never seaz the gray stuf, you can get it at ace hardwear.
I think that is all? I change plugs so much its just routine to me oh on the pass
side near the oil dipstick their is a stud hanging out their you will cut your left hand on that unless you put some tape on it near your thumb.
:smash: :smash: To make things a little easier get a short piece of vac hose that will fit over the end of the plug so you can twist the plug in easier.

[Modified by REDC4CORVETTE, 8:57 AM 4/27/2004]
Old 04-27-2004, 07:12 AM
C4SMAJ
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: help! i am replacing spark plugs + wires on my 94C4 (REDC4CORVETTE)

I just gotta ask REDC4CORVETTE...why do you change your plugs...every three weeks... :confused:
:seeya
Old 04-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Red_Vette_93
Drifting

Default Re: help! i am replacing spark plugs + wires on my 94C4 (C4SMAJ)

must have bad gas in Hawaii??

:smash: :smash: :smash: :lol:
Old 04-27-2004, 08:48 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just call me "Mr. Overkill" I think that when you have to replace wires, it's time to replace the water pump, too, and have a good look at the opti while you are in there. Although this take much more time, you'll end up with the reassurance that everything up front is in order. If you don't have one, get yourself a Helms Service Manual for your year Vette. It will help out on every project you do, especially if you choose to take a good look at the opti. With all that stuff off the front of the engine, the wires are an easy job.
If this approach interests you take a look at TOOLS>Tech Tips>C4>meziere coolant pump install. Might help you make up your mind on this approach.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:40 PM
96BLKTN
Pro

Default Re: help! i am replacing spark plugs + wires on my 94C4 (Strick)

:iagree: That is what I did but my Opti was missing. After removing the waterpump I found it about to go south "weeping" I also replaced my coil, wires, Opti, Waterpump. I was a pain but doing it makes it easier and you get to know your vette... :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To help! i am replacing spark plugs + wires on my 94C4

Quick Reply: help! i am replacing spark plugs + wires on my 94C4