C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Testing the waters... May have some killer heads, going a different direction with the '90.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 12:19 PM
jburnett
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Testing the waters... May have some killer heads, going a different direction with the '90.

My shop got broken into the other night and as bad as it was it was pretty fortuitous... They stole my old set of Big Duke (yes, BBC Pro Stock type) heads off my old Outlaw Street 555" engine. These heads had been in a nitrous backfire and two of the chambers were chewed up but easily repairable. They were complete WITH the Jesel rockers, Del West titanium valves, etc. My very good insurance agency wanted the REPLACEMENT cost on them so I gave it to them and they've promptly cut me a check for them and the other two items that were stolen before my shop bitch that lives there emptied a .45 at them (unfortunately he was more concerned with hitting a customer's racecar than killing this POS, so he shot high).

So, I'm going to build my 440" tall deck small block just as planned but with the money from my Big Duke's in my hand I've decided to build a SB2.2 based engine. I've already got a close friend at a well-known NASCAR engine shop that will get me a complete set for a killer deal (complete with rockers, valves, etc) and a set of 4.165" pistons to go with them. Now, this leaves me in a quandry... I've got a killer set of Canfield 220cc heads that have been whittled out to 235 cc's and flow almost 320 cfm at .650" lift. They have 2.100"/1.625" Ferrea stainless valves that have been coated on both the stems (moly coat) and the valve faces (thermal barrier). Comp titanium 10* retainers and locks, combustion chambers are 63.5cc's and have thermal barrier coating as well (so do the intake and exhaust ports). They also have shaft rockers... I'm thinking about selling this setup and was just trying to see if anyone was interested.
-Jeb
Old 04-23-2004, 01:26 PM
mike 1985
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: heads

It sounds like you already have a guy to get these heads for you cheap ( if that word can be used with SB 2.2's). But just in case there's a local guy to me selling these.

i would like to get $3500 for the complete heads, aluminum valvecovers with spring oilers, spare springs, spare retainers, both sets of shafts, lower intake, and head stud set all together.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:49 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

......before my shop bitch that lives there emptied a .45 at them (unfortunately he was more concerned with hitting a customer's racecar than killing this POS, so he shot high).

Arrghhh.... it would have been worth it to shoot lower as long as your state laws wouldn't have landed him in jail.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:13 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (scorp508)

sb2.2 motor, now that is serious chit! :shocked:

400+ CFM, can you say car getting some added supports to keep in one piece :crazy: :yesnod:

Bet the person stealing that stuff after having a few round fired, has 2 loads in their pants. (1) at the time of the gun going off, and (2) when they found that they almost got their azzes shot off for a set of junk heads :lol:
Old 04-24-2004, 12:22 AM
jburnett
Drifting

Default Re: (ski_dwn_it)

$3500.00 isn't bad; the ones I'm getting are just slightly less. They're straight from JGR racing (NASCAR people will figure it out) and have everything but the valley plate (bottom part of intake). I've already gotten a FAX of the flowsheets and since the guy that flowed them uses the same bench I do (JKM) which is slightly conservative and gives me a good idea of how killer they are. They're over 400 cfm...a pretty decent amount over... I was figuring somewhere in the 700 range with the 23 degree heads; my compression will go up some more (chit, more race gas) and these flow over a 100 cfm more... I haven't plugged it in to the computer yet but I'm figuring an easy 800 with a "fairly" streetable cam.

It's either this or do a big block... And I just think this would be cooler. But I'm still going to have to sell my 23* to afford to do it.
-Jeb
Old 04-24-2004, 12:44 AM
87Z-ya
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: (jburnett)

Still going to keep irs?
Old 04-24-2004, 09:14 AM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: (87Z-ya)

Will the heads you're selling work with an LT1 block? My guess is no, as very little does.

Mike
Old 04-24-2004, 04:13 PM
jburnett
Drifting

Default Re: (87Z-ya)

Still going to keep irs?

Yup... As long as I can. We'll see what a juiced, 440", SB2 in front of a t-brake TH400 will do...
-Jeb
PS- They'll only fit Gen 1 blocks, not Gen 2 (LT1's)
Old 04-24-2004, 05:08 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeb,

What is a SB2.2 block and what makes it different than an L98 for example?

Thanx

(btw, sorry to hear about the break in. Someone recently stole my canton road race oil pan and all my air tools out of my garage also)
Old 04-24-2004, 09:53 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Re: (89 Paul in Cal)

Sorry to hear about the break in. You shouldn't have any problems selling those heads.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:55 PM
jburnett
Drifting

Default Re: (tpi 421 vette)

The SB2 heads are a NASCAR head; a canted valve head for the small block that basically are "baby" big block heads. Nasty bastards, they usually flow in excess of 385 cfm and fully ported it's not unheard of for them to approach 500 cfm! On a small cube, big bore/short stroke NASCAR engine they pull 780 hp or so and spin 9k rpm. On a big 440" stroker small block they should make some pretty nasty numbers. The only problem with them is that they require a lot of dedicated components that I'm not totally sure I want to do; like pistons, lifters, etc... I'm waffling between them and a set of either 18 degree or 14 degree; the SB2's are the most killer and unique but they will require a considerable amount more work. Hell, I don't know...Maybe I'll build a big block. I'm feeling very indecisive right now.
-Jeb
Old 04-24-2004, 11:39 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: (jburnett)

Jeb...not sure where you get your flow data on the SB2.2 heads (I know you have a flow sheet for the set coming to you), but I work on NASCAR engines every day...Chevy's, Ford's, and Dodge's, and I can guarantee you that they NEVER approach 500 CFM @ 28"....getting 400 CFM is a hell of a set of SB2.2 heads, especially since they don't flow as much as the Ford or Dodge heads. I've flowed the latest and greatest of all 3 marques on a SuperFlow 1020.

Also, the motors are making WELL over 800 hp now, and approaching 10k rpm.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:33 PM
jburnett
Drifting

Default Re: (CorvetteZ51Racer)

These flow 436 at .700"... And I've seen several sets (and have flowed a couple sets) of SB2 and canted valve heads built for drag applications that did indeed approach 500 cfm. I was pretty amazed because my Big Duke's flowed just over 500 and they had intake ports in the 380 cc range!!! I use a JKM bench which is roughly equivalent to a 1020 except slightly more conservative.

I know they will make a killer combination so I'm going ahead with it. There will be a monster set of Canfield heads on the For Sale section by the end of today.
-Jeb

Get notified of new replies

To Testing the waters... May have some killer heads, going a different direction with the '90.

Quick Reply: Testing the waters... May have some killer heads, going a different direction with the '90.