C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LS1/LS6 Engine Swap C-4

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 08:32 PM
C-4 Now
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LS1/LS6 Engine Swap C-4

This looks like a good place to check!

Anybody done this engine swap yet???

When I see the power there getting out of these motors it sure makes you wonder ??????????????
Old 04-15-2004, 10:18 PM
HWoods
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: LS1/LS6 Engine Swap C-4 (C-4 Now)

Yes, it has been done. Do a search, you should be able to pull up something on some of the swaps done.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:31 AM
SHINOBI-X
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LS1/LS6 Engine Swap C-4 (HWoods)

WELCOME! there is a few who have done it,and theres a guy i've seen here in my state at a popular dragstrip and he had an early c4 with a no smog LS1 set-up in it and it was being broken in at the time. still ran a 12.2XX @115 plus with a th-350 trans.no nitrous as far as i know.it sounded like an nascar,really impressed the hell out of me.he had long tubes i think and not much else for exhaust! you'll probobly hear about him or other on this site sooner or later.

[Modified by SHINOBI-X, 5:33 AM 4/16/2004]
Old 04-16-2004, 04:40 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: LS1/LS6 Engine Swap C-4 (SHINOBI-X)

TracerX did it and atleast one other. What do you want to know? I looked into it and went a different direction.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:29 AM
C-4 Now
Drifting

Default Re: LS1/LS6 Engine Swap C-4 (ANTI VENOM)

I figured for me the two biggest problems would be that having a ZF-6, the dual mass flywheel might not bolt to the LS1 and wasn't sure about getting feeds for dash instruments and ABS. What items made you go a different direction? I figured other choices were bigger ie. ZZ383 or had looked some at ZR-1 because I knew that factory had 89 test cars. Really like car, just want a change and my easy bolt-ons aren't doing it in view of current new power available.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:43 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

I still see the LSx series engines a viable swap, but it won't be cheap. I believe that the best way would be to buy a LS1 out of an F-body with a tranny and swap in the T-56 as well. Your tranny bellhousing is different. I'm not sure how I would treat the electronics. You could probably get your old computer to run an LS1, but the new computers along with sequential injection would be nice. All said and done, I bet you have 10,000 dollars into it and a ton of work. The LS1 is an awesome platform, but the tried and true chevy small block can still make a buttload of power. I chose to convert to a LT1 with a turbo. If you went with a L98 or LT1 and a readily available blower kit, you could make a ton of power and have less hassle. Cost would probably be about the same, ie, it's all expensive if you do it right. Even if you get an LS1 into your car and get it running, it would still be just a stock LS1. If you rebuild or at least port the heads and get a cam, then 400rwhp is easily doable, but will add to the cost. It will always boil down to: How much do you have to spend? How much can you do yourself? How fast do you want to go? Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:41 PM
orangecrrrush
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with anit venom, but it would still be cool. I wish I could find out more info. I have a 85 vette that I would like to do the conversion to, just for the cool factor. I hope more people read this post and comment. There has to be someone out there who has done it before and can comment on how hard it is.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:34 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: LS1/LS6 Engine Swap C-4 (orangecrrrush)

If your serious, and don't mind a challenge, then check out these guys: http://www.hotrodlane.cc/index.html They have just about everything you need to put a LS1 in. If you look at the article LS1 in a 69 camaro, you will see alot about swapping one in. I believe that they have engine mounts for a LS1 to bolt right into your car. If my memory serves me correctly, most use the camaro LS1 because the oil pan is different, and you can get one with a T56 that is not rear mounted. Street and Performance may even be able to help you with the wiring harness. If you haven't yet, do a search for Tracerx on this board, he has answered just about every question about this at one time or another. Oh yea, I rember that getting air cond in was a real b itch. Just some food for thought, Jordan Musser is selling an LT1 with forged goodies and AFR heads and a cam for either a blower or a turbo for $5500. Put a turbo on that and I think the cool factor is still there. Good Luck!!!!
Old 04-23-2004, 03:14 PM
C-4 Now
Drifting

Thanks for all the info. Because car is low miles and still running well I think wiil continue getting info before jumping. With current prices on ZR-1s might just decide 2 Vettes would be nice again and keep convertible to keep better half happy. :) It looks like whatever direction I go with a swap that $10K would go fast to do serious power and more for modified LS6 or ZR-1. [IMG][/IMG] :steering:
Old 04-24-2004, 04:44 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

You wouldn't be the first one to kiss 10k goodbye on a "street" engine. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To LS1/LS6 Engine Swap C-4

Quick Reply: LS1/LS6 Engine Swap C-4