C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Another myth......or is it true???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 08:39 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Another myth......or is it true???

"don't ever use synthetic oil to break in an engine or new mechancial work because it is too slippery. You need to use good old fashion "dino" oil in order to get a good break-in"

I have heard this many times in the last few years. Now with the new cam, rocker arms I need to know if this is true and what is the proper way to break in these new mods.

Help!!!!
Old 04-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Black87c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Another myth......or is it true??? (LT4BUD)

Somebody will correct me if i'm wrong but do not use syn oil to break in an engine, solid cams need broken in, others like hyd. roller cams do not.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you just changed the cam and rockers just put your regular oil in it and let if fly. With a roller cam there will be virtually no wear so there really isn't anything to "break in".

I'd drive it easy for a little while just to make sure your rockers are adjusted right, then go wail on it. :cheers:
Old 04-09-2004, 08:48 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

There is no break-in needed for a hydraulic roller cam, stick with synthetic.

Dino oil is used to break-in a new or rebuilt engine, it helps seat the rings.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:47 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Comp Cams recommends a little light assembly lube on the valve tips and on the pushrod tops to aid wearin and likely some on the cam bearings too.

Otherwise, synthetic should be fine.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:35 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

I'd use syn. blend because it's cheaper and I like to change oil again after the initial run in and road test. Then go back to Mobil 1.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:43 AM
MrSpeedyBob
Safety Car

I believe the problem with synthetic for breaking in engines is it doesn't let the piston rings seat properly. Since the pistons didn't come out I'd say go right to synthetic.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:03 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

There was a similar post a couple of years ago and I called Mobil-1, Comp cams, and Hays and all said to use dyno oil for break in then swap to Synth. On all the motors I have built I use dyno for the break in and then swap to Synthetic after about 1500 miles. I change the oil after the first 1/2 hour then every 500 miles after that so I have never been woried about wear. The only concern I would have with using synth. for break in would be the hone patern used not beeing agresive enough for the rings to seat properly with sythetic. If your machinist preps the cylinder walls properly for break in using synth. then I can't see a problem with using it. I can say that I put over 100,000 miles on my 75 motor and it never used a drop of oil untill I sold the car and it was broke in with regular dyno-oil. For your case with a new cam synthetic should be fine.

[Modified by 84LT1, 2:05 PM 4/10/2004]
Old 04-10-2004, 04:48 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your machinist preps the cylinder walls properly for break in using synth. then I can't see a problem with using it. I can say that I put over 100,000 miles on my 75 motor and it never used a drop of oil untill I sold the car and it was broke in with regular dyno-oil. For your case with a new cam synthetic should be fine.
A proper engine build for synthetic is key. After all, Corvettes, Prosches, Mercedes and other high end cars come from the factory with synthetic.

OTOH, you have nothing to lose by running a change of dino oil on a rebuilt engine. It might even be a good idea since you don't really know how well the surfaces were prepped.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:00 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I would not use synthetic to break-in an engine. I used dino in mine, for the first 500 miles. Then I made the switch.

Old 04-10-2004, 09:36 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Re: Another myth......or is it true??? (MrSpeedyBob)

I believe the problem with synthetic for breaking in engines is it doesn't let the piston rings seat properly.
This sounds logical until you remember that GM puts Mobil 1 in their brand new Corvette engines at the factory.... :eek:

Larry
code5coupe
:seeya
Old 04-11-2004, 12:12 AM
88_vette
Drifting

Default Re: Another myth......or is it true??? (rocco16)

I'll put it to you this way. If the syn. oil is so darn slick that it keeps the metal from breaking in then this would mean it causes there to be no friction. Which we all know isn't true. I have used Mobil 1 in all my engines brand new to old and used. No problems. I even read a article about 8 years ago written by a mobile 1, PR person stating that it was fine to use a start oil, or breaken oil.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:22 AM
BIG JIM 54
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Another myth......or is it true??? (84LT1)

I will agree...

On roller parts, it doesn't matter. With new cam bushings, crank bushings, rings, etc, you need the genuine petroleum oil to seat these parts properly.

Nick Penta, President of Tribotech Inc, maker of Tribotech IJP Oil Additive (which I use without fail) says use his additive only after the engine has at least 3000 miles on it, either new or after a major rebuild.

But don't new Corvette's come with Mobil One as standard?

BIG JIM
Old 04-11-2004, 03:02 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Another myth......or is it true??? (84LT1)

Well this is from http://www.mobil1.com

"MYTH
You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to Mobil 1.

You can start using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ in new vehicles at any time, even in brand-new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

Chevrolet Corvette
All Porsche vehicles
Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
Dodge Viper
Ford Mustang Cobra R
All Aston Martin cars

One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design these high-performance cars, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the showroom floor. "

Sounds like Mobil thinks that synthetic oil can be used from day 1.....but then again the above sounds a to me like it was written by their legal dept

[Modified by LT4BUD, 2:02 PM 4/11/2004]
Old 04-11-2004, 04:23 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Another myth......or is it true???

I've always heard "break it in with dino, then switch to synthetic" I did that, but am now running dino all the time. If you keep changing it regularly(3000 mile intervals) I feel there isn't a need for synthetic. The late great John Lingenfelter told me the same thing.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:20 PM
88_vette
Drifting

Default Re: Another myth......or is it true??? (Jay 383)

I say do what you want, and what you can afford. That simple. I've used mobile 1 in my 383 as the breaken oil, my push, and riding lawn mowers. Both run great and it's been about 4 years since I did this. The push mower still starts with one pull, and this is even after sitting over the winter. I change it once a season, and it never looks dirty when I change it. So, I can only conclude from personal experience that it's OK to break a engine in with Syn. oil.

I think the Syn. oils that claim you can't just want you to think it's better.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:46 AM
BIG JIM 54
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Another myth......or is it true??? (88_vette)

Yeah, I agree about Mobil 1.

The biggest reason you change oil is because it's dirty. Synthetic gets just as dirty as Petroleum oil.

I do that because if it's good enough for a new Z06, it's good enough for me. But my ex-drag racing buddy swears by Pennzoil. But he's from a little town called Somerset, PA.

BIG JIM

Get notified of new replies

To Another myth......or is it true???

Old 04-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Another myth......or is it true??? (BIG JIM 54)

Yeah, I agree about Mobil 1.

The biggest reason you change oil is because it's dirty. Synthetic gets just as dirty as Petroleum oil.
Apparently you've never taken apart a motor that has run Mobil 1 vs one that has used Dino oil all it's life.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Arisa
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Another myth......or is it true??? (Nathan Plemons)

<Apparently you've never taken apart a motor that has run Mobil 1 vs one that has used Dino oil all it's life.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Old 04-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Another myth......or is it true??? (Jay 383)

I've always heard "break it in with dino, then switch to synthetic" I did that, but am now running dino all the time. If you keep changing it regularly(3000 mile intervals) I feel there isn't a need for synthetic. The late great John Lingenfelter told me the same thing.
The only thing wrong with this is the fact that Mobil 1 handles higher temps better than Dino oil and that is one of the reasons that in 92 (first year of LT1) they did away with the oil coolers. :chevy

Quick Reply: Another myth......or is it true???