C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 01:15 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed

I got my new AO engineering dual caliper kit installed but I have a small problem. I can't seem to be able to get all the air out of the system so consequently I have a low pedal. Has anyone else out there that has installed the system, have any tricks on getting the air out. I have a power bleeder and I ran at least a full quart of fluid through the system trying to bleed it.

Tomorrow I am going to try it again, this time I am going to move the calipers so that the bleeder is facing more in a upward direction and possibly move a couple lines in case there is air trapped in the interconnecting line between the second caliper.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:31 AM
Nick C
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed (tjwong)

Tom,

You might be right, the caliper orientation might be affecting it. You could also try using speed bleeders?

Let me ask you, will A/O sell you the bracketry and lines seperately, or do you have to get the whole kit from them? (I already have the pads/calipers for the job) Do they also recommend a different Master cylinder?

How much did you pay for everything? Thanks!

Nick
Old 04-03-2004, 05:23 AM
C10 JDR
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had similar problems before, on other cars. Try living with the low pedal and driving around for a few days, then bleed again. This has worked for me.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:50 AM
ericcer
Drifting

Default Re: AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed (britvette)

I have had similar problems before, on other cars. Try living with the low pedal and driving around for a few days, then bleed again. This has worked for me.
I have that system on my car and LOVE it. It took a few weeks in my case to get it bled. This system has a lot more fluid so it will take some time. I ran through about 3 quarts to get mine right.

No master cylinder change is needed for 95-96 cars and requires J55 (big)brakes. You have to supply the calipers and the kit comes with SS lines, bolts and brackets for all 4 wheels. I got everything new so the cost of everything was less than $1600. I have the collector edition calipers which I think is more expensive. You can cut down the cost quite a bit if you can find used calipers.

[Modified by ericcer, 6:35 PM 4/3/2004]

[Modified by ericcer, 7:14 AM 4/4/2004]
Old 04-03-2004, 11:29 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed (Nick C)

It is a great system, I spent slightly less than $1600 for all the parts which included rebuilt NAPA rear calipers and new front calipers from GM. Also my kit didn't come with the extra set of caliper pins, but these are easily available from NAPA as caliper hardware kits for about $9 each. The kit was very easy to install. Aside from making a mess with the brake fluid its pretty easy. One thing I noticed with my kit is that they need to give you a 2 pairs of short banjo bolts for the single hose on the second caliper. In my kit I had to use the original bolt which was a little long which necessitated using extra copper washers. I am replacing them today as I have to bleed everything again anyway. I will get a couple of pictures of my setup to post later.

AO basically sells you the kit which is just the brackets. They can however supply you with calipers as well. But I am not sure if they still offer this service. Calipers are easy to come by so its not a big deal.

Oh, I forgot to mention.....even with a low pedal that I have now. The power of this system is AMAZING! I can tell you that once I get the air out of this system this car will stop like it should. Already the braking is improved by at least 50% and its only going to get better! :D

[Modified by tjwong, 8:35 AM 4/3/2004]
Old 04-03-2004, 11:36 AM
Widebody
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom, you may have to use the Camaro master to get rid of the low pedal. I remember reading an article where the Vette Doctors had installed the same kit and needed the extra volume to bring the pedal up. I did the same master for my Big Red/C5 front on the rear combo. I think I still have the part # for the Wagner equivalent. Let me know if you need it.

Terry
Old 04-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Nick C
Instructor

Sounds pretty good, I'd love to see more pictures of the setup.

So you get the lines, bolts, and brackets from A/O engineering. How much do they get for that? Did you get just the fronts, or all four?
Thanks!

Nick
Old 04-03-2004, 02:48 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando

Sounds Cool.. Cant wait to see the Pics :lurk:
Old 04-03-2004, 05:36 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed (IBEAM700)

Here are the pics:

I bled the system again today to improve the feel of the system. I did find a couple tricks to get additional air out of the system and its quite easy to do. All one has to do is to partially remove the new front caliper and position it so that the bleeder is standing straight up like the original caliper, then you can get more air out of it.

For the rears, you must remove one caliper retainer bolt that connects the caliper to the slider bolts, this will allow the caliper to drop down and away from the bracket. You must place a block of wood into the area where the pads reside to keep the piston from popping out. Once in place pressure can be applied either by manual means or by a pressure bleeder. When the caliper drops down from the bracket the bleeder valve is positioned in a vertical position and more entrapped air can be bled out of the system

The system feels very good now, but I still have a slightly low pedal. Hopefully its either that 8 sets of pads have not seated into the new rotors yet or replacing the master cylinder with an F body for additional volume will cure the problem. The car stops HARD now and I mean it stops HARD. Braking efficiency is increase by at least 100% and I am not kidding at all. Before I could not get the tires to even squeal let alone getting the ABS system to sing. Now at even low speeds of about 25 MPH I can lock all four tires up and make the ABS system sing the blues! I have driven Vettes with big Brembo systems and let me tell you there is no comparision between what I have now and what a Brembo system gives that costs over twice the money. This system makes the Brembos feel like a stock system that needs work!

[Modified by tjwong, 2:45 PM 4/3/2004]
Old 04-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Nick C
Instructor

Tom,

They look great, but how much for the pieces that A/O sends you??
Old 04-03-2004, 06:45 PM
IBEAM700
Safety Car

Location: Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue Orlando

Now thats a kick azz setup :yesnod: :thumbs: Nice Job :cool: :cool:
Old 04-03-2004, 06:50 PM
FX GS
Pro

Does A/O have a web site? Counld'nt find anything.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:55 PM
ericcer
Drifting

Default Re: AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed (Nick C)

Tom,

They look great, but how much for the pieces that A/O sends you??
I beleive it was $900

The car stops HARD now and I mean it stops HARD. Braking efficiency is increase by at least 100% and I am not kidding at all. Before I could not get the tires to even squeal let alone getting the ABS system to sing. Now at even low speeds of about 25 MPH I can lock all four tires up and make the ABS system sing the blues!
I agree with that!

[Modified by ericcer, 7:06 PM 4/3/2004]
Old 04-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom
It nice lookning rotors also. That I what I have an argument with someone here thinks know it all, regarding 6 piston Alcon brake. Alcon/Bear/Brembo they all cost $3500. I can do dual 13" caliper like AO Engineering dual brakes will out perform the $3500+ 6 piston Alcon/Bear/Brembo brake for much less. Finally we have Tom here speak from experience eh?. That I will be doing next yrs.

Bruce
Old 04-03-2004, 07:10 PM
ericcer
Drifting

Default Re: AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed (FX GS)

Does A/O have a web site? Counld'nt find anything.
The don't have a web site. They are technically a wholesale distributor. Here is a flyer I got from them which has the phone number.

Old 04-03-2004, 07:23 PM
BAM92
Safety Car

Default Re: AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed (ericcer)

Tom I don't know how you can say the braking is better. By looking at how clean your wheel wells are I dont think you even drive your car. LOL. By the way you didn't happen to copy the measurements of those brackets before installing on car did you? :skep:
Old 04-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a sharp looking set up. Now get that to the track..... :)

Get notified of new replies

To AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed

Old 04-04-2004, 01:35 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed (Corvette0096)

Those are nuts. :crazy:

It must snap your neck when you hit the brakes. :lol:

The only downside I see is the amount of heat being made. It looks like you would need fans to cool them off at the track.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:32 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed (Raysur)

actually I say the amount of heat is the same. it takes a certain amount of energy to slow the car, which turns into heat. so I say each caliper produces half the heat. so I forsee a NEVER fade system. pretty cool to say the least. and I say the pads last longer too. twice as long!
Old 04-04-2004, 07:15 AM
ericcer
Drifting

Default Re: AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed (larryfs)

actually I say the amount of heat is the same. it takes a certain amount of energy to slow the car, which turns into heat. so I say each caliper produces half the heat. so I forsee a NEVER fade system. pretty cool to say the least. and I say the pads last longer too. twice as long!
That is pretty much what A/O Engineering states. You also don't need agressive pads becuase the system bits so hard anyway.

[Modified by ericcer, 1:15 PM 4/4/2004]

Quick Reply: AO Engineering dual caliper kit installed