C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hissing noise under dash (92)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 09:52 AM
jimswhite92
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hissing noise under dash (92)

along with a hard brake pedal. After searching the archives it appears my brake vacuum booster is shot. Sounds like it's a PITA to replace.

What brand are you guys replacing the booster with. Do you recommed a factory replacement or will the NAPA, Auto Zone parts be OK???

Thanks ... Jim
Old 03-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Hissing noise under dash (jimswhite92)

Well I haven't had to replace mine but it doesn't seem like it would be THAT hard. All you should need is a tripple jointed spine.

You said you've searched the archives, so you've probably already checked all the obvious. There are several vacuum lines around the pedals, have you double checked them just in case. It would really suck to replace the booster over a cracked line.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:02 AM
jimswhite92
Racer

Default Re: Hissing noise under dash (Nathan Plemons)

Only hear the noise when I apply brake and after searching the archives I made an assumption.

I'll be checking the vacuum lines before I do anything.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Either the clutch or the brake pedal, possibly both, have vacuum switches that are used to cut the cruise control. If one of those popped off it MIGHT cause your trouble. I'd say you're probably right about the booster but it never hurts to check. I know how hard it is to get under that dash and I'd hate to see anybody spend more time under there than needed.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:18 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those are classic symptoms of a bad brake booster. I had the excact symptoms you describe. There are replacements. They come in plastic like the original, and also come made of metal. The metal ones are a good choice if you want to be sure the drivers header wont melt a hole in it by heat. I got a metal one for less that $100 at a local Advace Auto Parts. Some come with a lifetime warranty. They are easy to replace. The hardest thing will be getting to the bolts holding it to the firewall from under the driver's dash. A ratchet with an extension and a u-joint will work nicely. If your tall, laying down under the dash will be the harderst part. Overall, it's cake. Definatly not a P.I.T.A. Just be sure not to drop the mouting bolts behind the carpet. Good luck. :thumbs:

[Modified by 86PACER, 9:27 AM 3/27/2004]
Old 03-27-2004, 06:37 PM
jimswhite92
Racer

Default Re: Hissing noise under dash (86PACER)

It looks and sounds doable. I'll find the parts and tackle it soon.

Thanks for the help ... Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Hissing noise under dash (92)

Quick Reply: Hissing noise under dash (92)