C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transmission rebuild questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 07:20 AM
MrSpeedyBob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission rebuild questions.

First question...
Does an automatic transmission rebuild typicaly require machining or is it a disassemble - replace parts - reassemble affair?

If it's the latter I'm inclined to do it myself despite all the warnings about how complex it is.

Second question...
Will a manual valve body prove more reliable and/or simpler? If it doesn't have to decide for it's self what geer to be in will it save me some headaches? I've been thinking about doing this anyway in prep for auto-x.

Third question...
How do Auto-x rules treat a manual valve body mod. Since both auto's and manuals would be considered stock It seems on one hand that it should be a non-issue on the other hand it is a modification.

Fourth question...
Is my rebuild going to last longer with firmer shifts since the clutches wont be sliding against each other as long.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:18 AM
TimBVette
Advanced

Default Re: Transmission rebuild questions. (rkessel)

Provided that the case is good there is no machining necessary. Depending on the year, you'll have either the 700r4 or 4l60e transmission. Either case they are both virtually the same transmission except that the 4l60e is a electronic version of the 700.

First get a good manual. You can get one form ATSG or ATRA, they are specific to transmissions. AllData is good as well.

As you disassemble, just put the parts in order on the bench as they come out. Inspect every hard part. You'll need some way to compress the drums to remove the snap rings and replace the piston seals. Do not disassemble the valvebody at the sametime as you disassemble the trans. Do it on a separate bench or later.

Inspect every single hard part. Drums, planetary gears, ring gears and shafts. The planets should roll smoothly and have no play. Look for loss of hardness of the gear surfaces.

You'll need a rebuild kit, sprag clutches, solenoids. I would also recommend a 13 vane pump kit, "the Beast sun-shell", larger reverse servo, pinless accumulator, billeted 3/4 servo cover, and "Z-clutches" for the overdrive portion.

With regards to the manual valve body, It's kind of a missnomer. What it does is allows you to hold each gear without shifting into the next gear. For example, if you leave it in D it will still automatically shift from 1-4. But if you put it in 1,2,3 it will stay in that gear until you shift it manually.

When you do the valvebody, have a clean bench and a large towel and as you remove each valve, lay it out on the towel as they come out.

It's really hard to describe how to rebuild the trans, but I hope this kind of gives you a flavor of what your going to encounter.

Regardless, whether you DIY or have someone do it, now is the time to beef it up.

good luck
Tim :cheers:
Old 03-24-2004, 03:13 AM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

I rebuilt my transmission in my garage with only standard hand tools. The specific trans tools make the job go easier, but you can get by with out them. I agree with the 13 vane pump improvement and all the parts listed in the previous post. If any of the bushings need to be replaced then you'll need a press. Also try and buy the rebuild kit locally. You should be able to get a rebuild kit for around $100.00. Ask some of the local transmission shops were they get there parts. Avoid the expensive mail order places. One last thing make sure everything is clean then clean them again. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:00 PM
MrSpeedyBob
Safety Car

Default Re: Transmission rebuild questions. (TimBVette)

With regards to the manual valve body, It's kind of a missnomer. What it does is allows you to hold each gear without shifting into the next gear. For example, if you leave it in D it will still automatically shift from 1-4. But if you put it in 1,2,3 it will stay in that gear until you shift it manually.
What is the difference between the the kits that say "Manual/Automatic" and the ones that say "Full manual"?
Old 04-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Probuilt
Advanced

If the transmission came with the 13 vane, then use the 13 vane setup. If it came with the 10 vane, then going to a 13 vane setup is a waste of money & time, and will not improve "anything" but in fact will take away pump volume. The 13 vane setup has a completely different casting (stator half of the pump) that allows the oil to be introduced to the rotor assembly in a completely different way. Take a look at a 13 vane stator half & you will see what I mean. The 13 vane was introduced for 2 reasons, quietness, & smoothness in oil pressure rise. I hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:12 PM
SS409 425HP
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Transmission rebuild questions. (Probuilt)

If the transmission came with the 13 vane, then use the 13 vane setup. If it came with the 10 vane, then going to a 13 vane setup is a waste of money & time, and will not improve "anything" but in fact will take away pump volume. The 13 vane setup has a completely different casting (stator half of the pump) that allows the oil to be introduced to the rotor assembly in a completely different way. Take a look at a 13 vane stator half & you will see what I mean. The 13 vane was introduced for 2 reasons, quietness, & smoothness in oil pressure rise. I hope this helps.
Are you saying the only "correct" way to go with a 13 vane setup is to buy a new 13 vane pump? I know my pump is on its way out and I was going to upgrade to a 13 vane setup when I rebuild the transmission.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:28 AM
TimBVette
Advanced

Default Re: Transmission rebuild questions. (Probuilt)

Gee I guess quieter and smoother pressure rise is not considered an improvement. With that in mind, you probably wouldn't recommend any upgrades including using "the Beast" sunshell because it doesn't do anything except because it's thicker it will hold up better.

I also disagree that it doesn't increase volume because not only oes increase volume significantly and it can also handle higher RPM's better than a 7 or 10 vane pump. This is one of the many upgrades I always recommend and install when I know the transmission is going into a high performance application.

The upgrade kit includes everything you need to upgrade your 7 or 10 vane pump assembly into the 13 vane pump. Given the cost of rebuilding a transmission, for approximately 50 bucks it could be one of the best upgrade you can do for while rebuilding the transmission.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission rebuild questions.

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild questions.