C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 LT1 water pump and cooling problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 07:46 PM
ToyC4
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
Default Re: 92 LT1 water pump and cooling problems (ToyC4)

Allright I'm going to try this this week - and do it right by removing the driven shaft assembly - I'm trying to recruit a friend who's a professional to help me out on this project this week. I have to have everything done before next weekend because it's my first race weekend of the year for autocrossing and I want to be able to run the vette.
I guess I should do the opti spark and wires at the same time... this is going to hurt the bank account isn't it - and while I've got help I'd like to pull off the air pump and egr crap. Now or never - I still need to mount my race tires and my porterfield pads and pull off my mufflers and change brake fluid and pull out radiator and clean it and set up brake cooling ducts ....... time to use that vacation time I've been saving up.
Don't know how my to do list has already gotten this long just bought this car

lol

aaarrrggghhh !

:smash:

thanks for the help guys!

:cheers:
Old 03-22-2004, 02:31 AM
ToyC4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05
Default 92 LT1 water pump and cooling problems

The weep hole on my water pump has blown and is spraying hot coolant all over my opti-spark. My first question is what kind of water pump should I use to replace the stock pump. Apparently the 92 is different from 93 and later so I can only use a 92? Autozone and Advance both sell a new pump for the application with lifetime warranty but it's made by ASC and I've heard these pumps won't last six months - this isn't something I want to do twice... In addition I autocross a lot and I'd really like to go with a high flow pump, but I don't know if I can do the install on the Meziere as this installation looks like it would be pretty difficult and complicated.
Second question - I think that the weep hole blew from excess pressure in the system, not water pump failure. Is this a possibility? This car only has 58k miles and the water pump has already been replaced twice by the original owner (I have receipts). :banghead: WTF is going to make the water pump go bad three times in 58k miles? I'm going to replace my radiator cap and replace my thermostat - probably with a drilled 180* in case either one of these is the culprit, but I'm at a loss here.
Car does not overheat at all and has no other problems other than the coolant system. The previous owner's mechanic said that one of the head gaskets needed to be replaced but there is zero coolant in my mobil one and there is zero white smoke in my exhaust so where is my coolant going?

thanks ,

Joe

Old 03-22-2004, 02:59 AM
92corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, I put a 93 water pump on mine.
Re-arranging the hoses to eliminate the TB hose.
Also replaced the top radiator hose at the same time to a one-piece.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:06 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What makes the water pump go bad in so few miles is that it's never driven. Low miles doesn't change the fact that the car is 12 years old. Moving parts are meant to move or seals will dry out, crack and fail.

You can always put an electric water pump on the car. It'll free up a few horsepower and if it does fail it won't puke on your opti.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:12 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: 92 LT1 water pump and cooling problems (Nathan Plemons)

I put the Meziere on mine and love it, but if you don't want to do that conversion I wonder, do they make a high performance stock type pump for the LT1? These also save horsepower and don't cavitate at higher RPMs.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:16 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: 92 LT1 water pump and cooling problems (Corvette Kid NC)

The only pumps I've ever seen for the LT1 are OEM replacements.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:33 AM
ToyC4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

so my only choices are OEM or the meziere conversion..... sucks that no one makes a high flow oem fit pump

thanks guys,

Joe
Old 03-22-2004, 04:43 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Some people leave the pump drive intact when doing the Meziere conv. If it doesn't matter to you to have a little shaft sticking out of your cover, doing nothing then the conversion is not that big of a deal. Just R&R the pump, gut it, bolt the Meziere in place and wire it up.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:11 AM
ToyC4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Ok I'm going with the Meziere ! Is Jegs for $200 the best way to go?
:confused:
Old 03-22-2004, 06:19 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

That's a good price if you're talking about the heavy duty version, make sure you get the heavy duty version. There should only be a few dollars difference between standard and HD.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:35 AM
Brian Blum
Burning Brakes

I would double check and make sure it's the heavy duty one. The prices are very similar and it's worth it to get the better motor.

The heavy duty one is $209.95 from http://www.racenet.net, likewise the standard is $195.95. The heavy duty is certainly worth th extra money.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:08 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: 92 LT1 water pump and cooling problems (Corvette Kid NC)

Some people leave the pump drive intact when doing the Meziere conv. If it doesn't matter to you to have a little shaft sticking out of your cover, doing nothing then the conversion is not that big of a deal. Just R&R the pump, gut it, bolt the Meziere in place and wire it up.
Well, I must disagree with Chris on this one. The driven shaft will lose half of it's support and will spring a leak (oil) at the seal.

When diving into this project, I'd be ready to replace the optispark and vent it. Replace the timing cover gasket and all the seals in the cover and while you're at it, replace the oil pan gasket and oil filter adapter gaskets. Did I scare you away? Just get a Helms Service Manual and you'll find out how to do everything. Want more help? see this article https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=231&TopicID=2

Mine is a 92 also, and about the same mileage. If you plan on keeping it for a while, don't skimp on this project.

:thumbs: :chevy :thumbs: :chevy
Old 03-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: 92 LT1 water pump and cooling problems (Strick)

Here is a picture of the driven shaft. The first one shows where the support is for the shaft assembly. The second shows the shaft pulled apart.

This is why I say to remove it for the Meziere coolant pump upgrade.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: 92 LT1 water pump and cooling problems (Strick)

I'll defer to you on that one Tom as I don't know anyone who's done that. The only mention I've even heard of it is IN your fine article on the Mez installation where you made mention that some people had retained the drive but you chose not to leave it in place. No matter which way you decide to do it though, DO read Tom's Tech Tip on it. It and the Helms manual will get you through it. And of course so many people here on the forum are running it that any question you could come up with someone can answer.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 LT1 water pump and cooling problems

Quick Reply: 92 LT1 water pump and cooling problems