C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone else here ever get a defective Optima battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:35 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Anyone else here ever get a defective Optima battery?

I kept hearing from everyone here about how great these Optima batteries were.

I installed one (along with a racetronix fuel pump). Go to turn the key and click!

First i took off the + and - connectors, verified they were clean and reconnected...No luck...

Next I hooked my battery charger up to it and began a 40 amp charge.

The battery started making weird electrical noises (hums, clicks (the same noises when an electric motor is locked up yet you are still supplying power to it).

This optima battery wont take a charge. Its brand freaking new!

Whats your opinion. Did anyone else have issues with their Optima batteries (after this experience, IMHO optima sucks if they cant get quality control right on a brand new battery).
Old 03-04-2004, 01:03 PM
marlon88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else here ever get a defective Optima battery? (dizwiz24)

Guess I wasn`t the only one that I complained about optima batterys , Mine used to if it sit for a week the vette will crank slowly and slowly and if the vette sits for 2 weeks the battery will be dead , and this was also on a brand new optima battery . Since then I took it of and went to exchange it with an other one and so far so good , if you have a good optima battery they are the best !!!

Here is a link about my old post : http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=534380
Old 03-04-2004, 01:34 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have a red top and it is working fine. It sit for a couple weeks at a time normally and I even have a couple of sources that will draw current when the car sits idle. I have had to charge it after leaving the back glass open for a couple of days though. So far so good.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:32 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone else here ever get a defective Optima battery? (Vette92)

I am on my second Optima that is defective, both failed in the same mode. What happened is that after a year or so the battery started to discharge if I don't start the car within a week, so the point that it wouldn't start at all without a jump or charge. The problem is that this is on my '74 Corvette that I only drive on weekends so I am constantly having to jump start it. I am taking this second one back as soon as I get back in town this weekend. This second one was making a fairly loud hissing noise after I shut off the car last time, weird. BTW, this car has no radio or other electrical devices except a newly rebuilt quartz clock. The last battery that was in there has been in my Suburban since I bought the Optima.
I don't have anything good to say about Optima right now. I have had AutoZone batteries that cost half as much last for years and years and now two optimas in a row died in less than a year.
Jeff
Old 03-04-2004, 05:06 PM
HWoods
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone else here ever get a defective Optima battery? (no_radio)

I have gone thru several optima red tops, they are no better than any other battery. I keep a battery tender on mine now to keep it from going dead. Remember your C4 Vette does keep a drain on all the time even just sitting in the garage
Old 03-04-2004, 06:28 PM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

I kept hearing from everyone here about how great these Optima batteries were.
Not from what I've seen on here in the past year or so. Not everyone thinks they are great. Guess you missed those threads.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:02 AM
burlap
4th Gear

When I looked at Optima at Costco, they don't list a model that will fit the 1993 Corvette. Also, the Optima web page doesn't list one. I've looked at the measurements, and it looks awful close to the cruise control. Will the battery fit with no modifications? Which one? Thanks..... Jim
Old 03-07-2004, 10:11 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

They cost twice as much as a top conventional battery. Optima batteries are lead acid batteries and the only difference is they have their plates wound in a coil and the acid is a gel. This doesn't make them better except that if the case is pierced, liquid acid won't run out. Consumers Report tested one two years ago and found it didn't have the claimed amphour capacity. Just because its different and costs more doesn't make it better!

[Modified by jfb, 9:13 PM 3/7/2004]
Old 03-07-2004, 10:16 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Anyone else here ever get a defective Optima battery? (burlap)

I had to modify the bracket for the cruise control for it to fit.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:52 AM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anyone else here ever get a defective Optima battery? (HWoods)

I have gone thru several optima red tops, they are no better than any other battery....
That's been my experience too, they're no better than a regular battery, its just that they cost ~2X what a decent battery sells for. Mine lasted 3 years on my daily driiver.

Eric
Old 03-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

One more thing about the Optima Battery, if it should completely discharge to a minus and you try to charge it, it can catch on fire! :crazy:
Old 03-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They have a 3 year replacement program. I have a Redtop with no problems at all. :yesnod:
Old 03-10-2004, 06:08 PM
burlap
4th Gear

Well, I bought it at Costco, after the Optima customer support told me the 75/35 would fit. I also had modify the cruise control braket to make room for the positive top post on the battery. I used my roro-zip saw attachment to cut a half quarter semi-circle into the bracket. :smash: Once that was done, the battery went right in. Now, if it works as advertized, I'll be happy.

Regards,
Jim
Old 03-11-2004, 09:01 AM
1SLO POK
Racer

Yep I have the same problem w/ my red top. If it sits more then a week I'll be lucky if it starts. Went to take it back to Pep Boys, they checked it overnight and said nothing was wrong with it and gave it back. I guess Ill have to let them have it for a week. They put it on some machince and I guess it is supposed to ,.......hell i dont now what it supposed to do :mad
Old 03-11-2004, 11:37 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Re: Anyone else here ever get a defective Optima battery? (1SLO POK)

Advance Auto Parts took back my defective one, exchanged it for a new one.

Interestingly all the other new ones on the shelf were dead (but not defective like the one I replaced).

I told them that I did not want a battery that dies just sitting on the shelf.

The store manager acted like I did not know what I was talking about and told me they are by far the best.

A couple other customers overheard the problems I had with it and bought other batteries instead of the Optima.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:47 PM
burlap
4th Gear

Oh well, it died after a week. I had to go to work, and this is my daily driver. So, I had to have the car towed, and the dealer installed a new AC Delco.

If it ever freezes in hell, I'll consider another one.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:38 AM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

I'm on my second optima and I don't even have my car on the road yet.... if my car sits for any length of time the BRAND NEW optima is DEAD.... What drains do our cars have while not running.. other than minimal stuff such as the radio clock...etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else here ever get a defective Optima battery?

Old 03-24-2004, 08:56 AM
TimBVette
Advanced

Lots of people think the Optima battery is the "cat's meow" in batteries. But they're really nothing more than a variation of a gel cell (they call it "sprial cell" because they use a paste rather than gel) lead acid battery that has been used in the marine application for years.

Gel cell batteries are good because they are non-venting like a regular battery, they can be used in a non-vented space i.e. engine rooms, crew compartments or trunks. Also because the lead plates were usually wrapped in gel they were less susceptiable to vibration damage. They became popular in auto stereo applications because they can be used in virtually any position and in a sealed trunk.

Sounds good huh?? But don't go rushing out to buy one yet,, because they are sealed,, they cannot be recharged quickly like a regular battery. Gel Cells are best charged slowly. The quickest way to ruin a gelcell is to put it on a high amp charger or more than 15 volts. So when you have a dead battery, the high amp alternator will reduce the battery's overall life not to mention if the regulator is bad and puts in more than 15 volts. Their overall life expectancy is usually less than a regular battery. They also self discharge at a quicker rate, so hooking them up to a 1 amp trickle charger is recommended for long term storage.

That's not to say Optima batteries are bad. Yes regular batteries will suffer from the same problems that Optima batteries but my point is Bottomline, do your homework. if you need a battery for an enclosed area i.e. trunk, inside the passenger compartment, then the Optima battery might be for you. But know it's limitations and application otherwise you will be disappointed.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:21 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

ok, then... who DOES make the best battery?

Exide? Interstate? Sears? Champion? AC Delco?

I have had good luck with Exide...

Interesting thing, most of them are made by the same 2 or 3 companies.....
Old 03-24-2004, 06:03 PM
cross-fire
4th Gear

Default Re: Anyone else here ever get a defective Optima battery? (bogus)

"ok, then... who DOES make the best battery?"

Odyssey dry cell battery.....1200 CA, no acid, 2 year shelf life without recharge, can be fast charged to 80% after full discharge in half an hour.

I have had one of these in my 84 Vette and it wings over the 1:1 ratio starter like crazy. My car fires up faster than new cars with the gear reduced one. It sounds mean and powerful. It usually starts in less time than it takes to release the key. ONLY downside is the price......about $180-$190 It is sold at Batteries Plus and in Jeg's and/or Summit Racing catalogs.

Otherwise, as far as lead-acid batteries go, I have abused a Duralast Gold in my SS like crazy for about 3 years now. I can practically kill it and recharge it back and continue to rely on it. Cost was about $65.

I don't have much experience with the Optima, except what I have heard from others. Seems great in concept, but those that have them, occasionally have to charge them up. I just bought my first one and put it in a relative's beefed up Caddy LT-1 transplant. So far so good, but has only been in for about 6 months. We'll see what Arizona heat does to it this summer.

Quick Reply: Anyone else here ever get a defective Optima battery?