C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

radio antenna replacement 94 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 05:40 PM
baerguy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio antenna replacement 94 coupe

Like so many others my mast does not retract all of the way down. The motor works but the mast is a liitle bent. How difficult is the process to change the mast only?
Old 02-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Dilligas
Burning Brakes

Default Re: radio antenna replacement 94 coupe (baerguy)

:lurk:

I have the same problem on my 94, I was told that a mast only replacement could be done without removing the entire antenna. I will know more when my mast comes in.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:15 PM
jiml94
Burning Brakes

Default Re: radio antenna replacement 94 coupe (baerguy)

You can buy the antenna mast replacement kit from GM for about $30. There are instructions with it and also the tool to remove the black antenna mast grommet. The procedure is best done with two people and will take less than 30 minutes. Remove the grommet by unscrewing and one person energizes the radio . The antenna will come flying out with the white plastic toothed ribbon. Note which way the teeth on the ribbon was facing when it comes out (either facing forward or aft).. After it comes out, be sure that all of the ribbon is out before you put the new one in. You can check its length against the new one. If it is short, then there is a broken piece of ribbon in the housing which you will have to remove by disassembling the motor. If it is all out, take the new antenna, stick the new antenna ribbon in the hole until it stops, orienting the teeth in the same direction that it came out. Then while one person turns the radio off, the other person feeds the new ribbon in as the motor grabs the ribbon and winds it in. It goes pretty fast so be aware. The antenna will have a brass sleeve which also goes into the housing so watch out so it doesn't hang up when it goes in. Replace the black grommet which screws into the motor housing tube and you are done. it may take several tries to get the antenna in as sometimes the new ribbon doesn't catch in time. Keep trying.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Dilligas
Burning Brakes

Default Re: radio antenna replacement 94 coupe (jiml94)

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To radio antenna replacement 94 coupe

Quick Reply: radio antenna replacement 94 coupe